changed ram slots now internet will not work

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So I just built a new system. The directions on where to place the ram where not clear. I ended up placing the two sticks in the wrong slots but everything seemed to work fine. After a few days I decided to change them to the correct spot and now the internet does not work. I didn't think the two components where related but thts the only thing I changed. After the swap the PC booted differently and then when I loaded up chrome fire fox and explorer none of them work. When I start chrome it loads the start page fast (google.com) but anything after that NOTHING. I reinstalled the drivers and swapped the ram back to where it was and no change this time. When I try to use the network tools to detect a problem windows seems to think everything is good as it says that it cant find any issues. Im not sure what else to do I really don't want to take the whole thing apart to return the motherboard. anybody have an idea whats going on or what else I can do to test it out to see what the problem is. Thank you.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So I re installed windows and it seems to work now question I now have is how could swapping the ram channel trigger a situation where I have to do a fresh install of windows????