hello need opinion pls

brenden1999

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
hi, I bought this pc at garage sale this weekend and told I could come to this site to ask questions, my cousin in alaska said I scored big time for 200 dollars but he only know amd the guy was asking 300 but dad oferd 200 if it works they live down the street so it should, told to list parts
antec case
780i motherboard
NVidia 2sticks of 2 gigs of memery
lg dvd blueray
wd 1200 caviar
lsp 650watt power
intell e8500 deul core
no grafics my cousin mailed me a 650 ti that he had for a backup he thinks will be great for this we were talking he said it wouldn't hurt to ask if getting a 4 core would help out he was looking online they cost a lot but I have all summer to work and my mom can get window 7 64 from work then put in 4 more gigs of memery them I can play wow really well the guy that I bought from said he played wow on low setting till graphic burned up, I want to play wow but hopeing for better than low settings if I can, what do you think, thank you brenden oops I need to say I cant buy new stuff I have no money so this is it till I can work this summer for a 4 core if it helps oh I guess they have apps to download that tweak for more power just haven't looked yet cousin looking to for intell thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Good thing your dad didn't pay any more for it. ;-)
The first thing you need is a bit more memory. Always Get matching pairs of RAM. Try to find a matching pair of sticks like the ones in it now. If you can't find any, sell those and get 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHZ memory.

If everything actually works, and it has an operating system that you can use, the 650ti should be enough to play WoW at med/high settings depending on the resolution your monitor is.

Find out the make/model of the 780i motherboard and I will send you a link to the board's website for drivers, BIOS, specs, etc.

brenden1999

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

hello thanks the motherboard is evga 780i ftw and it all works, I borrowed a little ati grafics card from friend but he had to take back it wasn't his it took a while to run but cousin thinks it was because of different driver, it took awhile to update the system is xp pro I don't know if it updated motherboard the list was long, I was reading reviews but there all old but seems like a good pc and cant find much about saveing up for a 4core, my cousin thinks its a must to play wow and like what you think ill need more memery+windows 64 should get me to play wow ok, was looking on ebay see a lot of 4cores between 80 to 300 dollars, I haven't worked this off yet but got all summer

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can go here to get the drivers and (if needed) a BIOS update.
http://www.evga.com/support/download/
Just use the 'motherboard' tab and enter your specs, then choose your downloads.

But be sure we are talking the same board. It should look like this: http://www.evga.com/articles/magicmagnify/420_big_01.jpg
If so, here is the MB manual which you will need for that board:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evga.com%2Fsupport%2Fmanuals%2Ffiles%2F132-yw-e178.pdf&ei=mCiyUZSSPKK6yQHJh4CQAg&usg=AFQjCNFHFXaS5uEhn7M96N76Nq88iiAy-w&sig2=G-LeXgW1x5G_aeXcBMfWaQ&bvm=bv.47534661,d.aWc

That's an old board from the Win XP era. It is getting hard to find much from Evga on it. But if you google it, you'll find quite a bit of discussion on it. It was a high-end enthusiast's board in its day.

brenden1999

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

ok thanks evga had 3 updates I could only do 2 the 3rd was a flash update I have no idea how to do that ill get help if I can, not sure if I need it could not find what that update is for. my cousin asked some questions on the evga forum they were rude the only thing they would say is throw in the trash and would not help odd think people who also like pc gameing would be willing to help it may be junk to them but its new for me. but o well, I get the 650 ti in mail today :) then iam ready you have helped thank you. the only thing left for to plan is getting a 4 coe processor I cant find anybody online the using 1 to see if it does better could you answer this iam ok with this but my cousin is also kinda confused he thinks a 4 core woyld be the only way to go but we cant get help with opinion from anyone I read the q6600 is a good 1 and cheap on a few wbsites so ill probably get 1 after ram and windows 7 64 thx

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You won't see much improvement with the slower quad core Q6600 over the faster dual core E8500, except in highly threaded applications. In single and double threaded apps, the E8500 is actually faster: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=53
In fact, even when it comes to gaming Tom's Hardware has them in the same tier: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
You'll find that a few modern highly threaded games do indeed show an improvement with the quad core. But overall, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade, and in some cases a downgrade.

brenden1999

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

ok great ill save my money thanks for all the help thought I should share, got the graphics card about 2 hours ago installed no problem my mom got me windows 7 32 hopeing for 64 this the score I got
cpu 6.4
mem 5.5
graphics 7.5
gameing 7.5
hd 5.9
its 4g of NVidia sli don't think I can do better without going to 8g reading a lot I guess people are raising volts to get them faster but I don't know enough to mess with it

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You'll be satisfied with the dual core and the GTX 650ti for gaming and most everything else. A lot depends on the resolution you game at... what resolution is your monitor?

I went through some of my previous builds I've done over the years (I'm old, go way back) and found a sustem I built with a C2D E6700 and an HD 5770. The WEI on that rig was:
weiuw.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

That machine was a decent gamer at 1680x1050.

If you want to O/C the GPU and are not sure how to do it, go to Evga's site, sign up as a member, and download Evga Precision. It is an easy O/C utility.