Difference between Intel Chipset Mob from Intel & from Others

apadartha13

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Hi,
I am newbie and have a doubts.
What is the differences between the Intel Chipset Motherboards from Intel and Intel Chipset Motherboards from made by other manufacturers like ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte etc. ?

As far as function goes? nothing. The same Z87 (for example) chipset on an Intel Mobo is on any other Z87 Mobo.

However, where they differ are the extra features that manufacturers add on.

For example, (again with the Z87 chipset) On intel's specifications there are only 16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 available. There are a couple manufacturers out there (Gigabyte and EVGA for sure) that put a chip in that actually doubles that.

Some manufacturers put different sound cards in, or upgrade the part that supplies power to the CPU. Some use different materials, or colors. Some build WiFi into the motherboard. Some add tools for overclocking.

Basically, they are all going to do the same job, just some boards have extra features for people who are looking for specific features.

Basically look for a board with the right features, price-range and colors (if that is important) and go with it. I prefer Asus and Gigabyte and ASRock over MSI and some of the other brands.

apadartha13

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for your detailed input :)

Almost fully cleared the issue. Just another query ...

It seems, Others like Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock are providing same/ identical features related to chipsets and adding some more features, as you mentioned, like more more USB port, SATA connectors etc. into it & more importantly, in LESSER PRICE ! Here lies the question, How ?
I mean, then why one can buy an Intel make Intel Chipsets Mob ? They are costly and with lesser features (other than main chipset board features).

So, is it safe to use a Intel Chipset Mob (actually I'm looking for B75 Chipset board) with an Intel processor ? [though, I know many are doing so, but the query I made is still haunting me !!!]

:(

Some of the more expensive brands (Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA) are able to charge more because they have a long history of very good quality and support (although more recently Asus support has gotten pretty bad), as well as a "trusted" name brand.

Some of the cheaper brands (ECS, BioStar, Foxconn, MSI) have had reliability and quality and support issues in the past, so their products are cheaper, to try to lure people to buy them even though they aren't necessarily trusted.

Brands like ASRock are new players to the game, and while they are high quality they don't have the name to back them up yet, so they are cheaper.

You have to remember that Intel is a huge name, known most for their server motherboards, which are *extremely* reliable and well built. They build their desktop boards to the same (or close to it at least ) standards, so they are going to charge more for them.

In answer to your question "Is it safe to..." yes, it is completely safe. No matter what manufacturer you go with, there are very precise certifications that must be held to when a chipset is released, and if a manufacturer can't meet them, then Intel won't license them to use the chipset.

Still, I personally stay as far away from ECS, Biostar and those brands because the manufacturing quality is not as high. Just a personal preference. I am willing to pay a bit more for a better quality product.

apadartha13

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Sorry, I am not so good in English. By saying "safe", I wanted to know whether the Intel Chipsets Mob manufactured by other than Intel like ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock... are performance and quality wise stable and good as of like Intel itself.
Actually I am going to build a new low-end system very soon & searching for a decent compatible Mob. I'm going for a Intel G-2020 2.9 GHz processor.

apadartha13

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks again for your input ... now it's crystal clear :)

// In answer to your question "Is it safe to..." yes, it is completely safe. No matter what manufacturer you go with, there are very precise certifications that must be held to when a chipset is released, and if a manufacturer can't meet them, then Intel won't license them to use the chipset. //

Basically, this is what I wanted to know/ wanted to be confirmed. This is the most important point.

A final question to you:
I'm going to build up a new entry level system with Intel Processor G-2020 (2.9 GHz)
Can you suggest me (if possible with model No.) which Intel Chipsets Mob will be better among these :
H61, H77 & B75

* A basic level decent will do my job. i.e. it's not meant for gaming, Will use Win-7 Ultimate SP-1 as OS, HD movies should run smoothly, that's all. I will use 4 GB DDR3, 1 TB HDD and an Optical drive. Other features like USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 (6GB/sec), wi-fi etc. is not mandatory requirement.

*I'm from INDIA, so the following site may be helpful for you:

http://www.flipkart.com/computers

and CPU I am going for:
http://ark.intel.com/products/71070