Replace Core2 Quad System with new PC or Playstation 4?

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Here's the question I have been pondering lately.

My last upgrade that I built, starting back in 2008, has ended up well. Really the only thing I'm not happy with about it is that it can't run a 64bit virtual machine (screw you Intel). Of course, it would be nice if things were faster, but realistically, it's never so slow that it bothers me.

Here's what I have,

Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.8GHz (Rev1 without VTx...)
Asus P5K-VM motherboard
8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Nvidia GTS450 1GB GDDR5
20" 1600x900 Samsung monitor (suits me fine size/resolution wise)
WD 7200RPM 500GB Win7 64bit / WinXP 32bit
Samsung 5400RPM 1.5TB storage
OCZ 32GB SSD Lununtu 13.04 64bit / Torchlight II / SWGEmu
Avermedia TV Tuner
DVD Burner (No Blueray for me)

I also compute on,
- Dell Inspiron 1501 lappy / 1.8GHz Turion64 x2 / 1GB DDR2 RAM / Lubuntu 13.04 64bit
- Blackberry 9900 / 16GB Playbook

Here's what I do,

I used to play more games than I do these days, such as Star Wars Galaxies, WoW, Planetside 2, EQ2, Aion and others, but I've pretty much given up on MMOs in my old age. So, the games that I actually do play sometimes are (TL2/SWGEmu/CS/GW2) run perfectly fine on my hardware, but I wouldn't mind playing some newer single player games that may not run so well on my puter.

Other than playing games, the only other demanding things I do are video transcoding (Handbrake, Virtualdub) and some light video creation (Windows Movie Maker). Everything else is lightning fast in Lubuntu (especially GIMP!) and I can live with the Win7 performance, so I don't have any serious complaints (hence the reason I haven't upgraded the cpu/mobo/ram/video in a long time).

With this in mind that I can't help but think that the Playstation 4 would make more sense for me to buy rather than a new computer, given my limited budget for hobbies.

Realistically, I could continue to do the transcoding/music/video creation stuff on my "good enough" PC and I could play new games (and watch Blueray movies!) on my PS4. The PS4 will have internet browsing, video streaming, and gaming, which comprises 90% of the stuff I actually DO with my computers and the other 10% of stuff I do on the computer works fine even on my ancient lappy. So... it seems like a reasonable idea to get the PS4 instead.

Anyhow, what do you think of using a Playstation 4 as one's primary "desktop computing device"? Obviously we have a few months to talk about it before I decide. :pt1cable:

g-unit1111

Titan
Realistically, I could continue to do the transcoding/music/video creation stuff on my "good enough" PC and I could play new games (and watch Blueray movies!) on my PS4. The PS4 will have internet browsing, video streaming, and gaming, which comprises 90% of the stuff I actually DO with my computers and the other 10% of stuff I do on the computer works fine even on my ancient lappy. So... it seems like a reasonable idea to get the PS4 instead.

Anyhow, what do you think of using a Playstation 4 as one's primary "desktop computing device"? Obviously we have a few months to talk about it before I decide. :pt1cable:

PCs =/= consoles, period. End of debate. If you want a PC, buy a PC. If you want a console, buy a console. But do not let the console fanboys trick you into thinking that a Playstation 4 will be an actual substitute for a real PC, it's a stupid debate, always has been, and always will be. If you want to buy a PC, come back when you're closer to being ready to buy. But again, comparing PCs to consoles is no bueno in my book.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013

I'm truly sorry you wasted your time writing such an inept and useless comment, but thank you for stopping by none the less.

Cheers.