Windows 7 Computer now boots from old Vista MBR

dwashy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
My boss has a computer with 3 Raid 5 drives. One of them is failing/failed. We pulled the failed drive, and now we plan on making an image of the system using Hirens boot CD or some similar program, then restoring the image onto the same computer but not using raid.

After pulling the broken drive out, the system booted as normal. The Raid status was "degraded" but still bootable. Windows required a CHKDSK run, which my keyboard failed to registed my attemps to hit keys, so it ran the CHKDSK anyways.

That took 2.5 days (on a 1.8TB raid 5 array). After running CHKDSK the system rebooted into Windows Vista Business edition. A previous version we had on the system. It was supposed to boot back into Windows 7, but now only Vista will boot.

And not only that, vista doesnt work. As soon as a user logs in the computer says missing files and crashes.

Is there any way to get Windows 7 to boot again? Or has CHKDSK ruined the system?

You would think that since this is a business computer you would have backups. RAID is not a substitute for backups. Now that I've got that out of the way... ;)

You may be able to boot into windows recovery console and issue the "fixboot" and "fixmbr" commands. Check micosoft's web site for details. It's been a while since I've had to use these commands and the order they are executed is important.