How many cores does windows 7 and 8 make use of?

vatiguti

Honorable
May 24, 2013
This is a question just about windows... How many cores does windows 7 and 8 make use of? How many cores is enough for just running basic applications like microsoft word and stuff?

ihog

Distinguished
Windows doesn't inherently determine the max amount of cores an application can use. For example, if an application can only take advantage of 2 cores, Windows can't make it use 3.

Generally speaking, to run basic applications all you need is a dual core CPU. Programs must be designed to use multiple cores otherwise it will just default to using a single core.

For example, I read somewhere that the Sims 3 only uses a single core. Is that true? I dunno, someone would need to buy me a copy so that I can see for myself. If you are using an 8 core FX-8350, then it will only use 1 core.

vatiguti

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Do you think that games in the near future(ps4 and xbox one generation) will be making use of more cores to the point where the fx 8350 would be a better choice to go with instead of an i5 3570k?

in 3-4 four years, this will happen. keep in mind that most AAA titles are on a 2-3 year development schedule. now both PS4 and XboxOne use octacore x86 APUs from AMD, developers will realize this, and start planning new titles to fully take advantage of the 8 cores, these games will be released in maybe 3 years, at which point something like fx8350 will have similar performance to an i5 4670K for gaming.

However, as much as I love AMD, keep in mind that intel has a definitive IPC advantage, and they can easily release a series of Octa-core CPUs 2-3 years down the road once software start taking advantage of more cores. right now they just haven't had a reason to do so yet.

TRENDING THREADS