How to force GeForce 310m take over Intel HD internal graphics

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I have a Samsung QX-410 with Intel HD graphics (i5 M 480) and GeForce 310m. When I check the graphics adapter property, it shows only Intel HD graphics. How can I enable GT 310m? Or is it supposed run along with HD in background?

This laptop is hooked up with a 21-inch monitor via HDMI-DVI cable, so I use both the laptop screen and the external monitor, but upon start, it always blinked several times and shows a message that Intel HD graphics driver stopped working and restored. Is there any way to force the discrete graphics take over entire display and disable HD graphics? I checked the BIOS, but there is no option to disable internal graphics.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

Yes, it's plugged all the time. It's used as a desktop replacement, not as a laptop. My old desktop at work was too slow and virtually unupgradable (or not worth of upgrading), so I picked up an old laptop someone ditched for a new one to save the company expense. I could get myself a brand new machine since I am responsible for all general purchase, but my office work doesn't require any better rig than this.

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
In most cases, the "dedicated" card activates when the load is sufficient and it isn't on battery power. I don't know of a way to disable the Intel HD.

Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed?