Horizontal Wavy Lines while playing Games?

Jerry17

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hey guys when I play a certain game called "Minecraft" I get these weird wavy lines on the screen. They only show up when I play minecraft. It doesn't happen on my actual desktop screen or in any other games. The more frames I add the more worse it gets. I recently upgraded my graphics card and power supply from a Nvidia Gforce 610 to a AMD Radeon HD 6970. I don't know if any others have had this problem before.

Im using an Acer P186H LCD screen with VGA and I'm using the adapter that came with the graphic card at 1600x1600 @ 75Hz.

Any information needed will be added. Any help is VERY APPRECIATED!!

Jerry17

Honorable
May 31, 2013

V-sync does remove those but my FPS suck lol. What do you mean by tearing? is that bad???? :(

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
if your monitor is 75hz, anything above 75fps won't show up anyways and WILL cause the wavy lines. You can't even see the extra fps anyways. Don't think of fps as a score, just think of it as smoothness. If you wanna make the most out of really high frames, get a 144hz monitor or so.
Also don't use vga. vga is bad.
Tearing is when the frames per second exceeds the monitor's refresh rate and the monitor can't keep up with the frames that the gpu is outputting.

Jerry17

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Thank you for that, but if I buy a new monitor which port do I buy it with? My system information resolution is 1366X 768 X 60 hertz but my graphics card control center says maximum reported resolution 1600x900, 75 hz reported refresh rate. I can also change the maximum resolution and maximum refresh rate.

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Your monitor has a DVI port. If you have a DVI cable, use that
Also 6970 is a bit overkill for a lower-res monitor like that.
Change all the settings to match the monitor's specs. Monitor overclocking doesn't turn out very well a lot of the time.

Tearing is when your monitor refreshes its image, but part way through, the information that is to be displayed changes to the next image. This results in two partial frames on the screen at once that represent a different time sequence.

When a frame is created by the video card, it is sent to the front buffer. When the monitor refreshes its image, it reads from the front buffer. These two processes are not synced, so while the monitor is updating the image, the video card is able to change the image in the front buffer at the same time. Vsync forces the video card to wait until the monitor is finished refreshing the image on its screen before it is allowed to write to the front buffer.

Any time Vsync is not on, regardless of your FPS being below or above your refresh rate, tearing can and does occur. However, the higher your FPS is, the more often tearing occurs, making it far more noticeable.

Vsync has penalties to latency, and it can also cause mild stuttering if your FPS are lower than your refresh rate. When your FPS are higher than your refresh rate, you still notice improved response. So the choice of using v-sync is a compromise. You either get perfect visuals, or you get more responsiveness and smoother game play.