Sign in with
Your question

Sluggish computer performance

Last response: in CPUs
June 7, 2013 12:57:28 AM

hi guys, i am having a problem ,my computer is not snappy at all.it feels kind of sluggish and choppy,when gaming and when using windows in general.At first i thought that this was due to my cpu overheating(which it was,temperatures were going more than 75C at full load).my processor is phenom 2 965 be.So i changed my stock cooler with hyper tx3 and full load temps came down to around 60C..
But still my computer isnt snappy.although the performance has improved slightly.i think my hard disk is also faulty,but can faulty harddisks cause sluggishness and affect gaming performance?
And when i changed the cooler(i am a noob),although i cleaned the old thermal paste using alcohol,it was still kind of dirty...
Also,my 2 2gb rams were not bought together,and one is smaller than the other.i dont know if they are of the same clock speed(noob again).
So what could be the reason for the not snappy,sluggish performance of computer.plz guys help this thing is bugging me like hell,plz plz help me.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 5:31:12 AM

peeyush,

The AMD Phenom II 965 (quad core @ 3.4GHz) is probably not the problem- the performance at is reasonable and 60C is not very high.

The first component to check the hard drive- simplest things first. Go to Windows Explorer, find the C: drive and right click on "Properties". In the Properties it will give information as to used and unused space. If the drive is too full there can be a performance loss - there should be about 15-20% unused space. At the bottom of that panel is a button "Disk Cleanup". This will remove unnecessary files that build up and can slow down the computer. Press the Disk Clenup button and allow the computer to remove the unneeded files. I ran this on a computer in an office and it removed over 5GB of "temporary Internet files". Then go to Control Panel > Accessories > System tools > Defragmentation and run the defrag program which will put files into a single piece and remove blank space on the drive. When files are very fragmented and there is black space, the little read / write arm has to scan / skip all over the disk. Access time is much longer and it slows the computer. I apologize if this elementary or you've already done these things.

As for memory, you might try memtest. You download this program, and it identifies and tests various performance aspects. It's possible that one memory stick is bad or if you have different speeds, all the RAM is running at the slowest speed. There are YouTube videos on how to use memtest.

Another tactic that might improve the performance is to reformat the HD and reload the operating system. programs, and files. This can be a big job- it takes me about 10-12 hours (the OS and Programs use 115 GB and I have 70GB of files) , but there may be hundreds or even thousands of errors that slow everything. I'm thinking especially of registry errors. Those very serious about performance will reload everything relatively often- perhaps every 9 months. I would check the disk for free space, the Disk cleaning and defrag disk of course first!

To say more, it would be helpful to know the model of motherboard, video card, and size of power supply.

Cheers,

BambiBoom
June 7, 2013 7:06:43 AM

thanks BambiBoom for your reply,the free space on my C drive is only 3 GB (idiotic partitioning by me,when i partitioned i allotted only 30 gb to that drive).i did remove the temporary files in the drive,i will try defragmenting and see if it clears some space.i will also run memtest,if none works i wll try formatting...thanks mate.
my specs are:
processor: phenom 2 965 be
video card :xfx 5770HD
power supply:cooler master 500 watts
mother board:asus m4a785td v evo
Related resources
June 7, 2013 12:06:26 PM

bambiboom said:
peeyush,

The AMD Phenom II 965 (quad core @ 3.4GHz) is probably not the problem- the performance at is reasonable and 60C is not very high.

The first component to check the hard drive- simplest things first. Go to Windows Explorer, find the C: drive and right click on "Properties". In the Properties it will give information as to used and unused space. If the drive is too full there can be a performance loss - there should be about 15-20% unused space. At the bottom of that panel is a button "Disk Cleanup". This will remove unnecessary files that build up and can slow down the computer. Press the Disk Clenup button and allow the computer to remove the unneeded files. I ran this on a computer in an office and it removed over 5GB of "temporary Internet files". Then go to Control Panel > Accessories > System tools > Defragmentation and run the defrag program which will put files into a single piece and remove blank space on the drive. When files are very fragmented and there is black space, the little read / write arm has to scan / skip all over the disk. Access time is much longer and it slows the computer. I apologize if this elementary or you've already done these things.

As for memory, you might try memtest. You download this program, and it identifies and tests various performance aspects. It's possible that one memory stick is bad or if you have different speeds, all the RAM is running at the slowest speed. There are YouTube videos on how to use memtest.

Another tactic that might improve the performance is to reformat the HD and reload the operating system. programs, and files. This can be a big job- it takes me about 10-12 hours (the OS and Programs use 115 GB and I have 70GB of files) , but there may be hundreds or even thousands of errors that slow everything. I'm thinking especially of registry errors. Those very serious about performance will reload everything relatively often- perhaps every 9 months. I would check the disk for free space, the Disk cleaning and defrag disk of course first!

To say more, it would be helpful to know the model of motherboard, video card, and size of power supply.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

i formatted the computer but still the sluggishness is there.but during the night (temperature was considerably lesser than the daytime) computer was performing faster,when playing fifa 13(offline) quick changes in direction was possible,which is not possible during daytime.the ambient conditions are very hot and humid in my area.
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 1:17:44 PM

peeyush,

Sorry you're still having the problem.

I am also sorry that I was incorrect to day that the temperature should not be the problem >

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%...

> which says that the temperature should be between 55C- 62C. I read elsewhere that the maximum safe temperature for the Phenom 965 is 65 C.

So, when the temperature was 75C, it may well have been the problem, but it is strange if you are having problems still when the temperature is less than 62C with the new cooler. Because the computer ran faster when the air temperature was cooler at night, it appears the temperature ts still going over 62C.

Perhaps some more attention to cooling is the next thing to try. Try a system monitor that indicates the fan speeds. I use CPUID which unfortunately indicates the fan speed only in percentages. It would be better to find a monitor that reads in both percentage and RPM and then check your cooler for it's maximum speed. Then, check to see if your cooler's fan speed can be controlled by software such as SpeedFan or if you can change the fan speed through settings in BIOS. The manual for your motherboard should say if that is possible.

You mentioned that the thermal paste was dirty when changing the cooler and I assume you used new paste and the cooler was securely fastened to make a tight bond. If you have any uncertainties about this, you might consider remounting, the cooler, making sure that both thermal surfaces are extremely clean and free of any roughness, apply something like Arctic Silver in a good quality, evenly distributed, and that the cooler is fairly tightly mounted. Also, make certain that the air flow through the case is good and there is not a lot of dust or cables that block the air. I had a Dell Dimension years ago to which I added extra drives, and the new drives and wide, flat IDE cables actually blocked the air flow and it ran hot. My current system, a Dell Precision, sits on carpet and the low, front air intake grill can quickly build up lint and dust. When I had cats- that grill could look as though there was a felt pad!

If the problem persists, you might add something like an 80mm extraction fan in the back grill to draw the air out. These also can be mounted in pairs.

When you reformatted and re-loaded your HD, how much free space do you now have?

Cheers,

BambiBoom
a b à CPUs
June 7, 2013 2:19:42 PM

Having two different sticks of RAM could easily be the problem. I don't even use RAM sticks of the same model unless they come from the same kit.
June 8, 2013 10:17:45 AM

bambiboom said:
peeyush,

Sorry you're still having the problem.

I am also sorry that I was incorrect to day that the temperature should not be the problem >

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%...

> which says that the temperature should be between 55C- 62C. I read elsewhere that the maximum safe temperature for the Phenom 965 is 65 C.

So, when the temperature was 75C, it may well have been the problem, but it is strange if you are having problems still when the temperature is less than 62C with the new cooler. Because the computer ran faster when the air temperature was cooler at night, it appears the temperature ts still going over 62C.

Perhaps some more attention to cooling is the next thing to try. Try a system monitor that indicates the fan speeds. I use CPUID which unfortunately indicates the fan speed only in percentages. It would be better to find a monitor that reads in both percentage and RPM and then check your cooler for it's maximum speed. Then, check to see if your cooler's fan speed can be controlled by software such as SpeedFan or if you can change the fan speed through settings in BIOS. The manual for your motherboard should say if that is possible.

You mentioned that the thermal paste was dirty when changing the cooler and I assume you used new paste and the cooler was securely fastened to make a tight bond. If you have any uncertainties about this, you might consider remounting, the cooler, making sure that both thermal surfaces are extremely clean and free of any roughness, apply something like Arctic Silver in a good quality, evenly distributed, and that the cooler is fairly tightly mounted. Also, make certain that the air flow through the case is good and there is not a lot of dust or cables that block the air. I had a Dell Dimension years ago to which I added extra drives, and the new drives and wide, flat IDE cables actually blocked the air flow and it ran hot. My current system, a Dell Precision, sits on carpet and the low, front air intake grill can quickly build up lint and dust. When I had cats- that grill could look as though there was a felt pad!

If the problem persists, you might add something like an 80mm extraction fan in the back grill to draw the air out. These also can be mounted in pairs.

When you reformatted and re-loaded your HD, how much free space do you now have?

Cheers,

BambiBoom

thank you BambiBoom for your answers.i will reinstall the cooler soon.now,i think i have the the same exact problem as this user http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/116698-13-weird-slugg...
i feel that the gaming and overall performance of windows not fluid.its weird because during gaming i get good framerate ,but it doesnt feel fluid.instantaneous reactions are not happening and microstutter occurs during gaming.
overall windows also seems sluggish.Can you or anyone provide some suggestions on what could possibly be the cause of these problems. is my 500W coolermaster psu enough(can some wires be connected in way that enough power is not being fed)?i also noted that during gaming if there is a powercut the computer turns off quickly(i dont know if it didnt charge enough).Plz help

i formatted only the C drive and there is about 15 gb free.windows seems to be ok after the formatt.
June 8, 2013 11:22:03 AM

ihog said:
Having two different sticks of RAM could easily be the problem. I don't even use RAM sticks of the same model unless they come from the same kit.

i removed one of the sticks ,still the problem with games remains...
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2013 1:51:27 PM

Well, it will be sluggish with only 2 GB of RAM, assuming you have Windows 7.
June 13, 2013 10:57:12 PM

ihog said:

hi,
i think i have found the reason for sluggishness,when i played fifa i went into windowed mode and monitored cpu clockspeed using cpuz.it started to jump from 3400mhz to 2200mhz to 800mhz and started jumping back and forth.please help me with this .how can i keep my speed at 3400mhz?any bioz setting to stop this downclocking?
June 13, 2013 11:09:10 PM

peeyush said:
ihog said:

hi,
i think i have found the reason for sluggishness,when i played fifa i went into windowed mode and monitored cpu clockspeed using cpuz.it started to jump from 3400mhz to 2200mhz to 800mhz and started jumping back and forth.please help me with this .how can i keep my speed at 3400mhz?any bioz setting to stop this downcloacking?

That is normal.
It is working hard on demand.

I don't believe there is not a bios option that makes your CPU run at 100% clocks all the time for a good reason.
June 13, 2013 11:13:37 PM

space1 said:
peeyush said:
ihog said:

hi,
i think i have found the reason for sluggishness,when i played fifa i went into windowed mode and monitored cpu clockspeed using cpuz.it started to jump from 3400mhz to 2200mhz to 800mhz and started jumping back and forth.please help me with this .how can i keep my speed at 3400mhz?any bioz setting to stop this downcloacking?

That is normal.

I don't believe there is not a bios option that makes your CPU run at 100% clocks all the time for a good reason.

but it is causing my games to stutter,and things like the ball doesnt bounce and so on.players feel heavy,game feels slow stuttery
June 13, 2013 11:25:00 PM

peeyush said:
space1 said:
peeyush said:
ihog said:

hi,

That is normal.

but it is causing my games to stutter,and things like the ball doesnt bounce and so on.players feel heavy,game feels slow stuttery

Every CPU does that exact same thing.
From cell phones to $5000 gaming machines.
They all drop their clocks when not being demanded.
This is not the cause your problem.
Think of it like a heart,
When you are sitting your heart beats slower, when you walk it goes a little faster, when you jog it's a little faster, and when you sprint it is full speed.
Your heart is supplying more oxygen on demand just like the CPU does more math on demand.

Another thing may be a GPU bottleneck.
What are your settings for the game and average frame rates?
June 13, 2013 11:36:54 PM

Ok well it is most likely a GPU bottleneck.
That means your CPU working faster than your GPU (HD 5770) can.
So when things are being processed in the game the CPU will finish first and it has to wait for the GPU to catch up which causes those nice stutters and random laggs.

May I suggest getting a better graphics card like a HD 5850 or higher.
That would really help you in this situation.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2013 12:18:49 AM

Well I would imagine you should go into bios and make sure your RAM is running at its rated speed. Since you have 2 sticks of different branded ram your board may not be recognizing thr RAM correctly and therefore will run your RAM at an extremely slow speed. Alsso make sure your RAM is running in "dual Channel" mode as this can also improve performance. However if you have 2 diffeent RAM sticks rated at different speeds you may need to buy a new dual channel kit.

It could be your HDD but what makes you think it's broken? Is it making a "clicking" noise? yes faulty HDD can cause slow everything.

Also 60c is pretty high for that processor at stock speeds. Try to get that doen but first things first go into your Bios and make sure everything is set up properly there.
June 14, 2013 12:25:21 AM

come on, fifa 13 is not a demanding game at all.my friends laptop can max it out quite easily.it is not framerate drop.i get constant 60 fps with the game.but game is not smooth.i found out that when the cpu is at 3400 mhz the game runs like it should.but it is the constant stepping down and stepping up which is causing the problem.and cpu is not being used 100% when it is at 3400mhz.when gaming cpu should remain at 3400 mhz.5770 is not a bad card.
June 14, 2013 12:34:35 AM

i checked the ram it is of the same brand same speed,just the physical sizes are different.i now dont think that it is an hdd problem because i formatted it i dont have any problems now(before ,at startup there was freezing for like one minute,now no problem at all).i think that the problem is caused by the constant stepping of my processor clock speeds.
the ambient conditions in my area is very hot and humid so it is very hard to keep the temperatures much lower than that i think
June 14, 2013 1:04:40 AM

it has only three speeds 3400,2200 and 800mhz ther is no in between speed.i can understand it slowing down when browsing or idling or hearing music or something...
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2013 6:13:26 AM

peeyush,

It's mysterious. I reviewed the specifications for the CPU, motherboard, and video card and these all seem to me to be good components- no obvious weak link.

As it appears it is the CPU that is running in some restricted way, but is probably not thermally throttled, it returns thoughts of memory, the GPU, and the hard drive.

Because I'm not extremely knowledgable, when I don't know what is causing a problem, my technique is to eliminate first the simplest solutions- because they're easy and don't cost anything to do, and then suspected issues even if they don't seem directly related.

1> The first of this approach returns to the hard drive. When you reformatted, how much free drive space is available? If it is less than 20% of the space, can you remove temporarily enough in files or applications to have that amount?

2> It would seem to me, that the CPU clock speed to load interlink must be based in the BIOS. Do you know if your BIOS is the latest?

3> Check you settings in BIOS/Setup and look for settings that have to do with threading, speedstep, and so on. I can't point to anything suspect, but if there is anything that is set OFF, look up what it does and see if ON improves things. I know that's an unrefined suggestion, but I often discover these odd settings I've never heard of that affect performance.

4> Is it possible you have multiple version of the graphics card driver on the HD? You might try doing a complete- clean- uninstall of the Radeon driver and then reinstall. If you know how to evaluate them, don't install drivers for 3D stereo or other side-subsystem support. The HD 5770 appears to be a good video card, but do have any other card that you can substitute just to see if there's a difference? If the other card is a lesser one and the performance gets worse, then it's probably not a graphics card problem. If it's better than the 5770, and the performance improves, it's the video card.

5> The ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO uses dual channel memory. And while, your two RAM modules may be the same brand and speed, the timings and latency may be different and set up a conflict. If you can , take the exact model numbers and look up the timing of each. 5A> Usually, the modules must be set in specific slots to work in dual channel. On my computer, the slots are different colors to make it easy to sort the channels.

6> Can you try another game that is rated equally or more hardware demanding? If the more demanding game runs better, then there might be some setting within the problem game to check. You might also search for forums that discusses that particular game and open a thread there .

I apologize if these ideas a elementary or seem random, but again, so often, there's a "magic button" -some simple setting or configuration that causes this kind of trouble.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

!