Amd fx-8350 running 2.82 ghz

DayRuin

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Hello. Yesterday i bought a new amd fx-8350 processor for my PC. After updating my bios i successfully set this new processor and launched pc. Everything was working fine, expect one thing. It was running 2.82 ghz instead of 4.0. I solved this problem my disabling perfomance core boost and C1E support in bios and setting my cpu multiplier at x20. Have i done everything right? Is there any need in increasing CPU voltage? What was the reason of this problem? May be i should change something in bios? Like cool&quit, or some other functions?
P.S. My motherboard - GA-MA770T-UD3 (Revision 3.1):
http://www.gigabyte.ru/products/page/mb/ga-ma770t-ud3rev_31
My current voltage is set to auto and its about 1.375 volts. During stress tests CPU is getting slowly to 70C, and then i just turn off this test because i dont want to risk. Recomended maximum temperature is 62C.
Thank you.

8350rocks

Distinguished
EDIT: I looked, and your MB supports AM3+ in that configuration...but only through 1st gen BD. Your CPU is not on the supported CPU list. That may be where the issue is coming from.

HOWEVER, if you have the stock cooler and the thermal paste is not appropriately applied, you should check that and re-apply thermal paste. That would easily be where high temps come from.

DayRuin

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I have zalman x7 led cooler (http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=614) and new thermal paste.
Do you guys think there is any need in changing cooler?

P.S.
Due to Cool&Quite CPU is working on 1.4-4.0 ghz and 0.9-1.375 voltage range. In idle my temps are about 25-30C but under 100% load at 4.0 ghz and 1,375v, temps are increasing rather quickly to 65C and then slowly (~ +0.1C per 5 sec) to 70 and above.
I use AMD OverDrive to check it.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Download HWinfo64 or HWMonitor and check your packages or "core" temp, also take a look at the cou socket temp. Your max temps are 62c on the cores (package) and 70c at the socket. Those are temps recommended by AMD not to be exceeded. If you go over 70c on your socket not a big deal, but you really don't want to go over 62c on cores.

Make sure you use one of the software programs I listed to monitor your temps instead of AMD overdrive.

DayRuin

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

So to make everything work fine you just reccomend me to buy motherboard with fx-8350 support? Is there any risk of using this processor on my mb?

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

No risk involved, your cpu just isn't getting enough power from your VRM and power phase design. I had the same issue using a 760 Gigabyte board and also wasnbt able to overclock on a 970 Gigabyte board so I upgraded to a 990FX.

I'd suggest waiting until you can upgrade to a 990FX to get the most out of your 8350.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Overdrive is displaying your socket temp, so 65c is fine, if your package temps were over 62c you would only destroy your cpu not your entire system...

Your cpu would shut itself down before that considering you havent been overclocking.

You should download better temperature monitoring software and then decide whether to upgrade or stick with what you have once you KNOW for certain your temps.

DayRuin

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Okay. Thank you, guys. So you want to say that there is a difference in running fx-8350 on my motherboard at 4 ghz and on 990FX also at 4 ghz?

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

If you aren't experiencing turbo mode then yes. The 8350 is capable of reaching 4.2ghz when it is needed, although it is not a massive performance boost it is nice. Also you will not have the future option of overclocking with your current motherboard so if you were interested in overclocking upgrading is a good choice.

If you are happy with your current performance (which is fine im sure, at 4ghz the 8350 does great), and also have good temps (below 62c on cores, below 70c on socket) then you are fine where you are at :)

DayRuin

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Thank you all guys for fast answers! This site is really amazing =)
Some last questions:
So if i am not going to overlock my cpu i can still use my old mb?
And to tell the truth the main question was in increazing cpu voltage =)
As i understand, due to not enough power my motherboard set cpu speed to 2.82 ghz, and when i am increasing it to 4.0 ghz i need more cpu voltage or not!?
Cool&Quiet is recomended option or not?
I know i am a noobie)

8350rocks

Distinguished
No, you don't need more voltage, the stock voltage should be enough. If you don't OC and you can keep the temps inline...you might be ok. With a caveat though: you continue using the board at your own risk. The MB manufacturer and AMD both do not claim it's supported. So if you fry something or burn something up...there is no recourse.

Good luck! :)

Please share some solution love to one of us :)

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

+1

Ultimately you should aim to upgrade your motherboard, it will benefit you if you plan on expanding anymore.

For now though you are good to go. The two above posters also answers your questions about voltage. Goodluck with your pc!

satyamdubey

Distinguished
the usual vcore range that I have observed for 8350 (also first gen bulldozers) is 1.33-1.375 Volts so you are running at the right voltages. Most VRMs are designed to handle temps in excess of 100C. Also in your mobo's cpu support list, 125 W 6 core cpus are mentioned and that suggests that your board will likely be able to handle the load though you may miss out on the functions that you've had to disable in BIOS.

Upgrading to a better board makes sense in that it will run cooler, have a longer life and most importantly it will not cap your cpu's potential. Since games have only just started to get better threading and games that can crush 8 cores are yet to come, you can try something.
Try disabling a module and check if turbo core works and your cpu returns to default speeds (probably wont work but worth a shot)