What CPU and Graphics Card to get?

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I will be purchasing a barebones PC kit and will be adding to it (I have a small mom and pop PC store as well as a Microcenter around me), but I am having a problem deciding what CPU and graphics card to get.

I will be using the PC for gaming and general stuff (Microsoft office, internet).

I have been told that the I5 will suffice, but I am also thinking of getting an I7. The reason being that, if I get an I7 off the bat, I would not need to upgrade to an I7 in the future.

Also, should I consider an AMD processor?

ihog

Distinguished
Before we can help you at all, we need to know:

1. The barebones kit you are buying.
2. What games you want to play.
3. What graphical settings you want to play the games at.
4. What FPS you want to play the games at.
5. The resolution of your monitor.
6. Your budget for the CPU and GPU.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013

1. Magic Micro I7 Barebones Kit #2 (http://www.magicmicro.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=7757)
2. Mostly racing, flight and train simulators and the occasional RPG, shooters and puzzle games <HL2, Portal etc>.
3. Would like it on high as much as possible, but will settle for medium.
4. Aiming for at least 40 FPS and above, if it's achievable with the setup.
5. Running a 19 inch HP L1925 at 1280x1024 resolution
6. Not sure, as I will be using money from a check I am getting from my fire dept., but a rough estimate would be not more than $700.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
That's a nice setup ihog, thanks :wahoo:

I will need an OS, but it's okay, I can find that on my own (Win 7 with either a dual boot into linux or a 2nd HD with linux installed).

I will bookmark it for future reference, as by the time I decide to get my setup, prices will change. and I may change my mind on certain components.

The only reason I was thinking about buying a barebones kit is, I really do not have the time to put everything together. I am very busy with school and have very little time to myself and what little time I do have is spent studying.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I took the I5 build that you offered and changed some components, this is what I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/New_PC/saved/1K5O (Base Build with sound card added)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/New_PC/saved/ (Build with I5 processor)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/New_PC/saved/ (Build with I7 processor)

I know I said I wanted to keep it about $700 or so, but it looks like I may have to spend a little more, which I am willing to do :)

EnXridion

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
If your budget is $700, then I agree that you should skip the barebones kit and just start from scratch. Building a PC is not that difficult, more just intimidating. It is like an expensive child's puzzle, and it should not take you days to complete, just a few hours.

If you are just using the computer for gaming and general stuff then you don't need an i7. An i5 will work with what you need and to be honest you probably wont notice a difference if you switch an i5 for an i7. Plus you can use the extra money for a better graphics card. In your proposed build you are using the 3rd generation core processor ivybridge; the fourth generation has been released haswell and it uses a different socket. Are you trying to save money with the third gen? Haswell is slightly faster than ivybridge but not so revolutionary that people are upgrading from the 3rd gen. to the fourth. But if you are just starting out, in my opinion, you might as well go haswell. And if you are looking to save money AMD is great too.

$700 is a good price point to enter the full tower gaming pc realm, but it will also get you a beast gaming micro pc as well, the difference being the full tower will be on the light side until you add to it ( but you will have the option to do so) while the micro pc will be beast but harder to upgrade.

So my advice to you right now is to think where you want this build to go. The more information you provide the easier it is for us to help you. For example if you said you wanted the best you could get right now, then I would recommend an AMD micro gaming pc, but if you want room to grow int the future, then I would suggest you go with the lighter full tower system.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I would like to go with the lighter full tower system so that I can add/upgrade to it in the future. The only reason I was even thinking I7, was so that I wouldn't have to upgrade from an I5.

I also wanted to see a proposed AMD build too, just to throw in another option, so if someone could do that too, it would be appreciated.

EnXridion

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
The main difference between the i5 and the i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which allows data intensive multitasking, like hardcore photo and video editing. For the personal/ exceptional gaming experience the i5 is all you need unless you decide to go pro and play on three monitors while streaming in hd. If you are just looking for the best personal gaming experience the i5 is the way to go, trust me (or don't and consult the forums); upgrading to the i7, you wont even notice the difference. It is better to spend the extra money on a better graphics card.

Along those lines unless you are planning to overclock, you wont even need the the k (unlocked) versions either, trust me (or consult the forums). Although to upgrade to the k version is only like $20 so it is not that big of a deal.

There is difference between the third generation and fourth generation core i5's and i7's. 3rd gen. use the LGA 1155 socket and the fourth use the LGA 1150 socket. So motherboards made for the fourth gen. are not compatible with 3rd gen. cpu's and vice versa. LGA 1150 mobo's use the z87 chipset and generally come with usb 3.0 and thunderbolt along with just the general update.

AMD just released richland so you are not experiencing any significant downgrade by going this direction. Personally, I am into intel right now, but that is just me. AMD is cheaper, their AM3+ socket hasn't changed so you could get a cheaper AMD cpu and then upgrade later, and are easier to overclock. However they are more power intensive and heat up more.

So really before we start bouncing build ideas around you really need to decide what direction you are going in beyond the full tower gaming machine. My recommendation is the fourth gen i5 (starting $189 at newegg), but again I am more into intel than amd cpus right now.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Don't worry, I am one to listen to other people's advice, more so since I am new to building a PC.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

I am settled with the I5 and add/upgrade to it for the future.

EnXridion

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/156F7
So I slightly underestimated the price of the fourth gen. components, but this is the best budget build you can get without sacrificing too much in quality. The pro's include a full tower case (great for expansions, better cooling options), fourth gen. core, and a z87 motherboard.

If you really want to get it bellow 700 you could use a mid-tower case, go with a cheaper psu (750W is overkill for this build but you wont ever have to upgrade it), or go with a cheaper mobo.

That being said when you are ready to update you get a better graphics card, more ram, an ssd, (more hdd), and a better cpu cooler.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Looks good, I will save that configuration and definitely consider it.

I am not that desperate to get it to $700...all the builds that are proposed would depend on how much I have left over.

Thanks everyone for the help and if anyone has any other suggestions, please do post them.

The_747

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Just hit a snag with my plans to go full tower...it will not fit under my desk (I took a friend's full size tower case and it won't fit). So it looks like I will have to go mid tower.

At least it's better to find out now rather then when I go buy everything and then find out it does not fit under the desk :)