Uprgrading Options : HELP NEEDED

MyAKAndI

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I've stumbled upon a couple hundred bucks ($300 to be exact) And decided to put it towards my PC. But I'm at the dilema between graphics cards and CPU's. 70 of it is already going to some better RAM (1866 Mhz) but the other 230 is being tossed between a new CPU, or going with a new GPU. If I go the GPU route its a battle between the GTX 660 or the Radeon 7870. But If I go with the CPU route it's gonna be a i5-3550k.

What should I pick for the better performance upgrade? Current specs will be posted below

CPU: i5-3470
GPU: GTX 550 Ti
RAM: 1333 Mhz 8gig (BRANDUNKOWN AND REASON WHY IM UPGRADING)
MOBO: Gigabyte F2A 75M D3H
PSU: Visiontek 800w
HDD: Toshiba 1TB 7200 RPM

If you have any other suggestions on how to spend it feel free to share

X79

Honorable
I take it you're gaming.

Drop the 1833Mhz. You won't need it or feel it. If anything, get 1600Mhz instead then.

No point in upgrading the CPU. The difference between the one you're interested in and your

current build does not equal good value for money in my book. Thus I'd say get a better GPU.

If you use editing software, go for the GTX. Maybe even a 670.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
An upgrade of the RAM is the least effective use of your budget: IB chip controllers optimize RAM usage and speed. Your best options are the CPU and GPU.

If gaming is your goal then the best upgrade is the GPU, if other apps are more important then the CPU.

I cannot find a 3550 K chip so I believe that you mean the 3570 K. A 3570 K chip will give you some boost in other apps. but the motherboard will not allow you to use the ability of that chip to overclock. So I recommend that you stick with the 3470 CPU.

If you insist on getting the RAM (and I think that such would be a poor choice) then the best comes down to the GTX 660 or AMD 7850 (or find a discounted GTX 660 ti or AMD 7870), If you make the better choice and put it all into a GPU then you can afford a 7950 or a discounted GTX 670 or 7970.

The improvement by replacing the RAM is marginal for any purpose. The CPU upgrade needs a different motherboard to be effective, but will not improve gaming significantly. The best choice is shop for a discounted GTX 670 or a discounted AMD 7970.

MyAKAndI

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
The RAM is a problem not just because of its speed, it's super unreliable andit freezes up a lot, the only reason for the upgrade to 1866 mhz ram is that my local Micro Center has a deal on it and it's cheaper than tiger direct and new egg ATM. I'm using it for gaming so I'll definetly go for the Radeon 7850. Thanks

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you are certain that it is the RAM then get quality RAM from Corsair, Crucial, Skill or as another reputable RAM maker. Shop around and you may be able to get a 7870 within your budget.