New computer shut down and won't turn back on

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Over the years I have had my fair share of technical issues with computers, and this site has always been a very reputable source that has helped me. I've done some searching on the forums, but decided to make my own thread about an issue I am facing with my computer

About 2 months ago I purchased an ibuypower computer from NewEgg. It's been working great since I bought it, and I've only been using it for Arma 2, Arma 3 Alpha, and TeamSpeak. This morning I turned my computer on. Everything booted up fine. Unfortuneately, after about 3-4 minutes, the computer shut down...and would not turn back on.

I called ibuypower's tech support. The technician instructed me to go ahead and do a few hardware checks to try to isolate the issue. I tried each RAM stick individually, took the video card out and retested, unplugged power to the cd drive as well as the hard drive and retested, still no response. I double checked all connections and made sure no cables were loose.

If it helps at all, the mobo is receiving power as the green LED light is still on.

Fortunately, the computer is under warranty but I'm going to have to fork out $100+ in order to get it shipped out for RMA.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

The PC is brand new and I really haven't been on it for more than a few hours each week. It's always plugged in to a surge protector, and I plugged my spare rig up today using the same spot on the surge protector and had no issues. I've seen other threads with this issue, but they involved the pc shutting off while gaming, or shutting off then turning back on later.

Any help would be appreciated. I spent a lot on this rig and I'm kickin myself in the ass now. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
CPU: i5-3570K 3.4GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 (x2 4gb sticks)
PSU: Corsair 750TXV2 750W
Liquid cooling system: Corsair H40
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

adity8522

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Do the following things. One of them will resolve your problem. :
1. Remove the processor and its heat sink and reinstall it again. In the same way try reinstalling each and every component hardware : RAM and Power Supply.
2. Check if the Power Supply Wires are connected in correct place.
3. Check if the Power Supply is ready to go to god.
4. Take the Processor and check if any of the pins are bent or broken. If broken, you will need to spend money for a new one.
5. Can you get into the BIOS of your system ? If you can, flash the BIOS and install it again to a new and stable version. I assume you know how to do that.
6. Try Clearing the CMOS Cache.
7. Check your Video Card. Try running the system with Monitor wires connected to the Motherboard. (Try this step first. There could be a problem with your video card.) If the system boots up, then the main problem is with your video card. Try replacing it.
8. Check if the Power Supply can still run that GPU ? There could be less power to run the GPU dou to the power supply not drawing power up to the mark.

Check with these solutions first. If one of these works, then u r good to go. Otherwise I will suggest u more options.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I can eliminate the gpu being the issue because the computer won't boot up when I remove the gpu and use the onboard graphics. I literally cannot do anything because the computer essentially "died". I can't even get a quarter of a fan spin or anything. I got an RMA # and I'm shipping it out Monday, I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue. I've read dozens of threads regarding this issue but the OP usually gets some sort of response from the system.

I appreciate the help though, if this was a custom build without a warranty I would have no problem staying up all night trying to diagnose the issue. Lesson learned here...I'll be building my own from here on out.

I'm just surprised at having a failed psu/CPU/mobo (whichever it may be) when all 3 are from pretty reliable companies.

I should also note that I regularly monitor temps and they're never anywhere close to max temps. The liquid cooling system has been pretty effective as well as I can play Arma 2 and 3 Alpha with great fps, while the temps stay well below the danger zones.

The final attempt I made, the gpu was unhooked, the RAM was out, the hard drive and the cd drive were both unplugged. Still nothing at all. Something inside has to be dead.

adity8522

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
It could be both fault with the GPU as well as Motherboard. Well, Which mobo does the system has ?
It may have been burnt out.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
All compents were listed in the first post at the very bottom. It just amazes me how everything ran flawlessly for a few weeks and then randomly dies within minutes.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Got it, I'll post back here when I get the repaired system back, and let you guys know how everything turned out.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
After reading countless reviews on ibuypower's computer repair services, I have decided to simply diagnose and repair the computer myself. Worst comes to worse, I can take off the working parts and upgrade my current rig. Few questions I'd like to run through that are quite puzzling.

1. I retested everything using a spare 700W OCZ PSU that I had from an older rig. I plugged in the 24 pin on the mobo and plugged in the 2 pci-e inputs into the GPU. Pressed the power button and I got a fan spin from the psu and the gpu for about a second. Went ahead and took the corsair psu out and put the ocz psu in. Hooked everything back up. Nothing...again. No fan spins, no POST, or anything.

Then i began removing power to parts one by one. I took RAM sticks out, removed power to GPU, and finally found the culprit. The mobo has an 8pin slot for the CPU power. My OCZ 700w PSU has 2 separate 4 pin connectors for the CPU power. I followed the instructions in the mobo's manual and only plugged the one connector in. Upon removing the power from my CPU slot of the mobo, I got the PSU fan, GPU fan, case fan, and CPU FAN to spin. When I plug this 4 pin back into the CPU slot, I get nothing. I tried combining the two 4 pin connectors to make an 8 pin but still got the same result.

Any ideas???

2. My second quick question deals with resetting the CMOS. I tried resetting the CMOS once and nothing happened. I tried again one more time and this time, forgetful me, forgot to unplug the power cord from the PSU. Mind you the psu switch was switched to the off position. I did smell a faint metallic smell, leading me to believe something may have fried. But everything still remains the same. The fans will only spin for approx. 1 second and that's only if I unplug power to the CPU.

Shouldn't the fans spin longer than a second, even if the cpu is disconnected?

Thanks in advance for the help. It's been quite a while since I've built my own computer so I'm still rusty on a lot of this stuff.

If you are absolutely sure that the PSU was switched off in the back, then there should be no voltage to cause something to fry.

I think the fans should remain on even if the CPU power is unplugged.

I guess either the PSU, motherboard or both a screwed.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply man I appreciate it. When I get home from
Work I'll go ahead and take the ocz and hook it back up to my old rig to verify it works. If the mobo is fried I can deal, but if the mobo and CPU and/or psu are done then I'm gonna be in for quite a ride this summer lol. I'll post back tonight about my psu results.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Okay I got mixed feelings about this update. I took the corsair 750tx power supply (thought to be broken) and hooked up the 24 pin connector to my old rig's mobo and hooked up power to the video card. Started it up and everything ran, the CPU heat sink fan spun, as well as the video card fan. They continued to spin until I powered everything down. Two things slightly worry me.

1. The psu fan never spun once. Not even upon start up. Some sources said this is normal if the temps aren't hot enough.

2. The psu was making a slight buzzing sound. Another thing that sources say may be normal unless its loud. In this case it was quiet and could only be heard if I held my head close to the unit. Mind you this rig is caseless.

So I guess that eliminates the psu as the issue, unles either of the above are causes of concern.

That leaves the mobo and possibly the CPU I guess. I can't test the CPU Unfortuneately because my other two rigs don't have intel sockets. Yikes!

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
On my Corsair PSU, I believe I only have an 8pin CPU connector. Tomorrow's goal is to take the OCZ 700w out of my rig and test it on the same rig that I just tested my Corsair 750w psu. When I do that, I'll be able to tell if the cpu connector is bad.

But, thinking back to when my PC first died, the tech only had me unplug power to the gpu, take out RAM sticks, unplug power to the hard drive, and unplug power to the cd drive. I never even thought of unplugging the cpu connector from the mobo. It wasn't until I swapped the Corsair out for the OCZ that I did some trial and error and determined that whenever I have the cpu connector unplugged, I get a brief 1 second fan spin from all components that are receiving power.

I'll test the OCZ out on my testing rig tomorrow and see if I get the same results when I have the CPU connector plugged in. If not, then I guess I could make the fair assumption that the mobo is causing the issue.

Nox31

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Update: Motherboard was the issue. Computer is fixed via replacing the motherboard. No other internal parts were damaged thankfully. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.