Best video card to pair with amd a10 5800k for around $200?

whitegarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
mobo: GA-F2A85X-UP4
cpu: amd a10 5800k
RAM: Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series Venom Red DDR3 8GB 1866MHz
PSU: Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze
case: cooler master elite 430

i want to add a video card to my computer. i've been using the a10 cpu for video so far, and its pretty good for most of what i do, but i want to be able to play things like crysis and battlefield on high settings with no video lag. i was wondering if there is a decent graphics card for around $200 that could hold up to today's games on the best settings. i'm not worried about doing dual graphics with the a10 if a standalone will be better. thanks for any info.

chromic

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
7870 would be the best for that price range.

you probably cant play all games maxed cause of the cpu, and crysis 3 maxed needs like a gtx 690 / HD7990 to run even at 50 fps @ 1080p

Your current setup is a bit odd due to overkill motherboard and PSU. My best suggestion would be selling your 5600k and grab an Athlon II 750k instead, this way you can reuse the motherboard and have more heatroom for overclocking your CPU. As for VGA, a HD7870XT fits best here, or HD7870 GHZ edition if you don't have the desire to OC your VGA.

whitegarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

alright, i'll look into the HD7870 then. thanks

whitegarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
i got the Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHZ OC, but after installing it there started to appear random graphic anomalies like stuttering, flashing lines and grainy squares no matter what i was doing. sometimes the screen goes black then comes back and says something like "display driver stopped responding but has recovered." minecraft and oblivion crashed almost immediately when i try to play them. when other games worked sometimes, there were graphical bugs. i updated the drivers, re installed the card, but problems are still there. is it just a faulty card, or is it incompatible with my computer somehow? is there a way to order a replacement through AMD?

whitegarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

no, i don't have one on hand that i could put it into. i just ordered a replacement and am shipping this one back to amazon. i'll post back here once its installed and if it has the same problems.

whitegarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
ok i got the replacement, installed it and got the newest drivers. my games run fine now, no crashing...but there are these subtle, flickering horizontal white lines in all the games that i play. it fills the whole screen but it just makes everything look blurry/grainy while its present. this was present in the last card too. what could be causing this?