Very urgent- exams ahead--->Harddisk crash

imamao

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello evryone..I am new to this forum..found lot of active discussions .I am sure that i will get rid of my problem with your help.
I have 1 tb Western Digital Harddisk.I was not properly ejecting it for past few days and it was on continous power.All of a sudden yesterday morning,I couldnt access data and when i try to open the drive it askd me to format .I had 600 gb of my medical books in that that and when i checked disk management it it displays disk healthy i(primary partition).thenI tried changing the path name, it dint work.I ran chkdsk , it says MFT CORRUPT. I really dont know what to do further.I need all my data back coz i have been collecting those stuffs for past three years for my exams.

Please help

imamao

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
thank you x79 and say the least
I am right now scanning my files in Active file recovery.It shows signature files.Seems it is going to take a long time.is it like that ? Can i recover from signature files..some website say recovering from signature file cause more damge that good. Is it true ? On the other hand can chkdsk correct this problem ?

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Don't ever use chkdsk, in such a case it may only make things worse. You should attempt recovery straight from a program, and it takes long! Recuva seems to be really good free software

popatim

Titan
checkdisk wont even work because of the corrupted Master File Table. I use Testdisk to repair the MFT with good results most of the time.

And now the bad part. I hope you learned a lesson about needing to store important files in more than 1 location/device. As well as the need to eject/unmount the device properly when done using it. It needs a second or two to get ready to be disconnected.