Phenom II x4 965 High-Temp

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone!I just registered this account to share my problem with you.
Yesterday i got a new pc with this cpu and i downloaded HWMonitor to check temperatures.
What i realised is that it stays at ~40C idle and reaching 68C during gaming(League of Legends).I did some research and found that the appropriate max temperature for this cpu is around 62C,so i am a bit concerned.I have the stock cpu cooler,the fan is running at 5000+ rpm all the time,being too loud,with cool 'n' quiet option enabled.VCore is 0.972 idle(cool n quiet) and reaches 1.368.
Should i consider changing the stock cooler with maybe a coolermaster hyper 212 evo,would i get better temps?

My case is coolermaster k280(not fans added yet).
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3

Thank you in advance!

That is too high, at around 65 it should automatically shut down the system to prevent frying.

First of all you should change the heatsink from stock to aftermarket. Buy a quality one. Secondly re apply a good quality thermal compound -

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as512g

That should solve your problem right away without buying any coolers, etc.

If that does not solve the problem you should get a good cooler. Nothing is better than Arctic Cooling. Here is a good model -

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-freezer7prorev2 (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V)

Otherwise if you want even lesser temperatures go for liquid cooling -

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h60cw9060007ww

It would be slightly more expensive but would make sure your system do not heat up that much.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I consider buying either the cooler you mentioned(Arctic Cooling) or Coolermaster 212 Evo,as it is considered one of the best for its value.What do you suggest?

McTash

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I had this exact issue with my 965 BE, even got up to 72ish playing bf3. Turned out the stock heatsink and fan is a dust magnet. Now I'm not sure if you built this rig yourself or if you got prebuilt. If prebuilt open it up and check for blockages in the fins.

I just replaced mine with hyper 212 and artic thermal compound and now it idles at 30 and barely hits 50 after a few hours of BF3.

Oh should also add that the 212 is a tight squeeze on my mobo (ASUS). It slightly overhangs the first ram slot. Its not disastrous, I just raised the fan a little to clear the ram but best check your mobo layout and the sink/fan dimensions.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Thank you for your answers.
I am currently looking for an aftermarket cooler after i tried re-applying the thermal paste and didn't notice a big difference.
I have read a lot of reviews and opinions and what most people say is that hyper 212 evo is much much better that AC Freezer 7.The only thing i am worrying about is if it fits well in my case.I have a Coolermaster K280.
Do you suggest any other cooler,in case hyper 212 doesn't fit?I am looking for a cooler around this price.Thank you!

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
After a quick look i couldn't find the AC ACFZ11-LP in my country.I guess Vortex+ will be my second option then.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I did some asking and i was suggested not to risk buying 212 evo since it might now fit in my case(coolemaster k280).So now i am thinking of these 3 coolers:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Rev 2,Coolermaster Vortex Plus and Coolermaster hyper tx3 evo.
Is AC freezer 7 enough for a 4-core AMD like mine?Or should i go for the coolermaster ones?I am not going to overclock my cpu,i just want core temps to be under the max temp(~62c) so not to face problems in the near future.My stock cooler can't do that as it seems.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello again!
I finally got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 and installed it last wednesday.I was really surprised by the difference from the stock cooler,considering temps and noise.My idle temp was around 32 and while gaming 50-51.Since yesterday,i noticed that temps got a bit higher.Idle temp ~36-37 and while gaming it hit 56.Though these two days are way hotter than before.Is this normal?I am worried that load temps may get even higher.Should I re-apply the thermal paste(I have a Prolimatech PK-3)?But if it was a paste problem,wouldn't i have high temps right after installation?Thank you!

Are you sure fan is set to automatic and no speed limitations are there? Usually that is either in % or auto. Keep that on auto and it should work well.

That can also be due to atmospheric temperature rise. I recommend waiting for a day or two and check things out again.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Fan is set to auto and no speed limitations.I haven't changed anything since the cooler was installed.I am just confused,i even had 29C idle temp after a couple of days and now the best i have is 35C.A while ago it hit 57 during gaming.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
i will try re-applying thermal paste and see how it goes.Then i will consider replacing it,i really don't know.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
So,i tried re-applying the paste but no difference.Though i noticed a tiny scratch at both the cpu surface and the hitsink surface.I have really no idea how this happened.I don't believe that's the reason of the temp rise,because my gpu temp has also risen several degrees(max 40-41 during gaming,now ~48).So i think that the room temp is the reason,the last days have been very hot.Maybe i should work more on the case airflow as my next step.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Yes i know it's good.I just see that gpu load temp is also higher than before along with cpu's,so it's more likely the ambient temp to be the reason of this situation.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Maybe could i adjust cpu fan mode to pwm instead of auto,would this help?Though i don't know much about it.At the moment it is set to auto and cpu fan speed is set to normal.

EDIT: Today i realised that the room temp is 90% responsible for the temp rising.I turned on the air condition system for a couple of hours and played a game.The max temp after 20+ min was 52-53 instead of 58-59 before that.So,is there anything i can do more,instead of keeping the air condition on 24/7?
Also some advice about pwm fan settings would be appreciated.Thank you!