Sign in with
Your question

upgrade now or wait for GTX760ti, release date?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2013 9:44:05 AM

anyone know when this card is supposed to come out? does anyone have a reliable source. only asking as i want to purchase a new graphics card but i dont want to wait too long and may buy a 660ti instead.

More about : upgrade wait gtx760ti release date

June 9, 2013 4:50:46 PM

ryfty said:
anyone know when this card is supposed to come out? does anyone have a reliable source. only asking as i want to purchase a new graphics card but i dont want to wait too long and may buy a 660ti instead.

Hey ryfty been a while remember me? Anyways I'm also planning to buy one but I'm a patient person I have waited 6 months for a new graphics card and seeing as the gtx 700 series came out I was disappointed and happy at the same time since I had enough money for a gtx 760 ti but I would have to wait again. Personally honest I'm still waiting it's more just a personal preference, but feel free to sit and wait with me :p 
June 9, 2013 5:58:28 PM

haha hey, im doing my build tomorrow, i settled on purchasing a xfx 7870 tahiti le for 290 dollars with 4 games which ill just sell on ebay. also ill overclock it. only done that since i couldnt find a good value card, also 7870 tahiti isnt that far off a 760ti when i oc the card, and the UK the card will be around 170 dollars more.
Related resources
June 9, 2013 6:01:49 PM

ryfty said:
haha hey, im doing my build tomorrow, i settled on purchasing a xfx 7870 tahiti le for 290 dollars with 4 games which ill just sell on ebay. also ill overclock it. only done that since i couldnt find a good value card, also 7870 tahiti isnt that far off a 760ti when i oc the card, and the UK the card will be around 170 dollars more.

Have fun with your new card! I'm still here waiting for mine.......:( 
June 9, 2013 6:06:03 PM

lol thanks, i was gonna jump to the 770 but it was 250 dollar jump so i thought better wait till a deal comes around later this year for maybe a 7970ghz or 780 something along those lines, do you think 7870 xt will run bf3 1920x1080 at high/ultra 60fps?
June 9, 2013 7:10:14 PM

ryfty said:
lol thanks, i was gonna jump to the 770 but it was 250 dollar jump so i thought better wait till a deal comes around later this year for maybe a 7970ghz or 780 something along those lines, do you think 7870 xt will run bf3 1920x1080 at high/ultra 60fps?

Lol a gtx 650 ti boost can run bf3 on ultra 4xAA and 16x AF minimum 40 fps.
Source:http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/03/26/nv...

your 7870 is a xt version the one they tested was a non tahiti. So in theory it should perform even better. Which means 50+ fps minimum and 60+ avg fps. BTW all these cards are 2 gbs
June 10, 2013 6:08:56 AM

hm i guess it should suffice until christmas or when gta v comes out lol. my card is a little weird its a tahiti le but also a ghz edition of it so it should be decent
June 10, 2013 6:25:10 AM

If you are just wanting to play BF3 at max settings then a 7870 XT http://amzn.to/11R8RrF will work just fine. I used to play BF3 on an unlocked 6950 with no problems.
June 10, 2013 7:37:53 AM

ryfty said:
hm i guess it should suffice until christmas or when gta v comes out lol. my card is a little weird its a tahiti le but also a ghz edition of it so it should be decent

Lol now its my turn to ask you a question should i go dual 650ti boost or 1 760 im getting pretty anxious seeing as you are getting your graphics card. performance should match the 760 for only 340 dollars but once i go 2 way sli i have to give them to my cousin in the future because i dont like selling things online. I had bad experiences
June 10, 2013 9:21:32 PM

tbh, its not worth it, overall a single gpu will always be better, in everything, only maybe being a tiny bit slower than the ski config, but with sli you can run into all sorts of problems such as micro stuttering etc. also you draw more power, use more power cables, and produce more heat than a single gpu option, i preferably prefer a beefier single card setup compared to a lower sli setup for those reasons :) 
June 10, 2013 9:23:32 PM

ryfty said:
tbh, its not worth it, overall a single gpu will always be better, in everything, only maybe being a tiny bit slower than the ski config, but with sli you can run into all sorts of problems such as micro stuttering etc. also you draw more power, use more power cables, and produce more heat than a single gpu option, i preferably prefer a beefier single card setup compared to a lower sli setup for those reasons :) 

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you around in the future ryfty.
June 10, 2013 9:39:28 PM

Can't wait for this card, I heard little about it recently

June 13, 2013 3:16:45 AM

7870 xt card i bought was DoA in my new build and a friends, might get a 670/680/770, never again will i go for amd
June 13, 2013 3:32:14 AM

Haha me neither. GTX670 arrives today and my Radeon is going out the window (seriously - I'm gonna throw it hard and I'm gonna enjoy it). You're British ryfty? Got an awesome deal on Novatech.
June 13, 2013 3:34:48 AM

yeah i am haha, amd are just full of s***, which card did u get from novatech may i ask lol
June 13, 2013 3:37:51 AM

And free new game and free delivery!
June 13, 2013 3:42:57 AM

hm but i dont really trust cards that are few in number on the website, i called aria and they said that the reason my card was damaged was because it was one of the last 15 and 'they usually get kicked about' so never ordering from them again so im feeling iffy if i look into the 670, ive seen this 680 for 310 and doesnt seem half bad for the price;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-GTX-680-PCI-E-3-0-x16-GDD...

what do you think between the two?
June 13, 2013 3:49:27 AM

LOL! Blimey... I used Aria for the bulk of my current system (and they were great) but I'll keep this in mind for future. I know it's old-fashioned but I still don't totally trust eBay. I know you can get good deals though, even on stuff that isn't used. You can definitely trust Novatech though. They told me 3-4 days, yet the card was dispatched last night and courier text me that it's coming today! Not sure whether or not they kick their cards around, but that's probably just Aria :-D

That GTX680 is an amazing deal though! I probably wouldn't put the extra £40 on it over the EVGA GTX670 FTW (which is actually slightly faster than stock GTX680 anyway, though for all intents and purposes equal) BUT a GTX680 for such a low price would really tempt me. Do you know what warranty Leadtek offers in the UK? I saw a Leadtek GTX670 on eBay a few months ago for £250. Didn't buy partly because it's eBay and partly because I don't know if Leadtek offer three years cover.
June 13, 2013 3:54:49 AM

yeah i heard it was three years standard warranty, i was considering novatech for something but i didnt get around to purchasing anything from them. now you got me stuck between the 670 and 680 lol

doesnt the 670 run a little hotter since its ftw edition? also im considering slightly overclocking the 680 if i get it.
June 13, 2013 3:58:53 AM

You would think so, but I checked some reviews and temps look absolutely fine. If you're considering overclocking though, probably best to go with the GTX680 since it probably has more headroom. I took a look and Leadtek only offer 24 months warranty here. If you upgrade every two years (or more often) anyway though then that doesn't really matter. I just like to have the guarantee my hardware will last as long as I need it to (and three years is as good as it gets).
June 13, 2013 4:14:27 AM

overclocking a card like the leadtek is a little dodgy since i havent heard of them, and if it blows i dont know where to rma it unlike evga. also i heard in benchmarks evga ftw is around 4% better, cooler and quieter. only question i have is how much do you think i can overclock it when it comes to it needed, i have a well ventilated define r4 case (extra fans). im considering this since it is also cheaper
June 13, 2013 4:20:42 AM

also when you recieve it please tell me how it runs on games :p 
June 13, 2013 4:20:52 AM

Benchmarks I've seen average 7-8% faster than stock GTX670! Re overclocking, there honestly are no guarantees. You may get barely anything more out of it - you just never know until you try it. No way to know which part of the wafer the GPU die was cut from. I wouldn't worry though - I don't think overclocking is ever gonna be so effective that a game would be unplayable at stock and smooth when overclocked. Plus graphics cards are one of the more failure-prone components anyway. It's not generally as risk-free as CPU overclocking. I'd leave it at stock.
June 13, 2013 4:27:27 AM

the thing is, ive heard ftw edition uses cherry picked cuts from the die to provide the best over clocks. also tell me how your graphics card goes and if novatech do not kick their cards around :p 
June 13, 2013 4:33:00 AM

Haha will do. It'll be here within the hour, and I'll PM when gamed on it a bit. It'll be flawlessly fast though. Benchmarks show that even Crysis 3 can be maxed at 1080 and antialiasing on it and still get smooth performance, and Crysis 3 is the most demanding game out. I'm only playing Saints Row 3 at the mo so it'll be lightning.

That's nuts Aria told you that! If they're telling the truth, why would they admit that to customers? Especially in an age of social networking etc... was it a phone call when they told you?
June 13, 2013 4:48:17 AM

haha thanks i just posted a thread to compare them both so i can get a better view of differences,

leadtek is a relatively unknown company and the card is coming from ebay, its a cheap card for a 680 but i dont know if it of good quality. also i dont really know to much about rma process. overclocking headroom could go both ways as its a gamble like you said about which cut they select for the gpu

evga is £40 cheaper and upto par with the 680 if not better, but overclocking headroom might be slightly limited, it is slightly quieter and cooler, uses a little more power, but im still a little scared of recieving another doa card since there isnt many of them left.
June 13, 2013 4:55:30 AM

I think you may be worrying a bit too much about stock levels. Leadtek are fine though - they used to operate in Britain as one of the major GeForce brands back in the days of the 6800s and earlier. They may even have been around as early as the GeForce 3 series (infact I'm pretty sure they were). We considered them to be a quality brand back then, but they disappeared from Britain during the recession (same time our motherboard manufacturer options suddenly dropped to 4). Since then they've still been one of the biggest brands in SE Asia after the Taiwan big three (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI). I've never used one myself though so couldn't personally vouch for them.
June 13, 2013 5:13:36 AM

hm true, i only care so much since i dont want to spend this hundreds of pounds for average graphics, battlefield 3, total war shogun, company of heroes 2 are games which i want to experience with high graphics fidelity
June 13, 2013 5:17:39 AM

Don't worry - provided you're not playing them on some triple-monitor setup, GTX670 will be absolutely lightning fast. Only games that could struggle are ones that require a very powerful CPU, if you don't have a fast CPU. And obviously in those games, a slightly faster graphics card won't help anyway.

LOL at AMD - even the driver uninstall is broken! Not a valid win32 application apparently - fatal error. I was planning on reformatting my SSD and installing Windows fresh anyway, but thought I'd take a quick look at the card on this installation. Windows should be able to clear off the drivers for me.
June 13, 2013 5:28:54 AM

i cant remember the name but there is a utility that specifically gets rid of and/ati driver lol, i have 3570k which is fine, yeah i think im gonna settle on the 670 then thanks i wouldnt have come across it if you hadnt shown me :) 
June 13, 2013 5:37:37 AM

although slightly irrelevant, the msi gtx770 gaming oc version from nova tech is 60 more, but im tempted since it has the same theme as my mobo, my mobo is a gd65 gaming lol
June 13, 2013 5:55:49 AM

ryfty said:
hm true, i only care so much since i dont want to spend this hundreds of pounds for average graphics, battlefield 3, total war shogun, company of heroes 2 are games which i want to experience with high graphics fidelity

Nvidia make all the GeForce GPUs, so you are mostly getting the same hardware no matter what brand. Some do use better RAM and coolers, but its not a huge difference most of the time.
June 13, 2013 6:03:42 AM

ryfty said:
although slightly irrelevant, the msi gtx770 gaming oc version from nova tech is 60 more, but im tempted since it has the same theme as my mobo, my mobo is a gd65 gaming lol

Glad to help :-) That's a nice CPU! And as for the GTX770, I was seriously considering it too, but £60 for a 7-8% framerate gain doesn't really seem worth it to me. It would turn 30fps into 32fps and you'd never be able to see that difference.
June 13, 2013 6:05:14 AM

By the way, Memnarchon's 10-15% figure in your other thread is referring to the performance difference between a stock GTX670 and stock GTX770. This FTW edition is of course a bit faster than the stock model, hence my 7-8% figure.
June 13, 2013 6:25:11 AM

OK it's fast :-D Gonna download some nVidia tech demos and see what it can really do! SR3 isn't exactly taxing. Starcraft 2 really choked on my Radeon when there was lots of Protoss Carriers on screen (or when there was more than 3-4 Dark Templars) so I'll also see how it handles an army of those. I'm happy so far though and it's SO much quieter than my last card!
June 13, 2013 7:32:24 AM

haha nice!
June 13, 2013 7:25:39 PM

you got any other benchmarks mate?
June 13, 2013 10:09:13 PM

ryfty said:
7870 xt card i bought was DoA in my new build and a friends, might get a 670/680/770, never again will i go for amd

Holy crap that happened to me too. I was scared that something else was wrong with my system at the time. But after getting help from the smart community on Tom's Hardware we determined it to be DoA and I sent it back for a refund.
June 14, 2013 2:23:40 AM

Not yet I'm afraid but I'll have Crysis 3 soon :-)
June 14, 2013 2:25:14 AM

The tech demos are pretty cool though... Alien vs Triangles if you wanna see a load of PhysX and burn alien robot things. Or Supersonic Sled :-)
June 14, 2013 6:43:26 PM

ye i think im going to settle on the card you bought, but there is the signature 2 version of the card for 5 pound more and i wondering is that better or isit just a gimmick since apparently evga do better reference designs than their custom coolers
!