Gaming LGA 1150 mobo under $200?

rajmccurry

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I was going to build a gaming PC with this (link) LGA 1155 motherboard because I heard it was a good one. I was going to use it with an i5 3570k. Then the Haswells came out and I decided i wanted an i5 4670k, but I need an LGA 1150 motherboard to go with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get for under $200 (I can't go higher)? I would prefer motherboards which have good reviews from some recognized reviewer and are from a quality manufacturer. Also, if you have a review for the mobo, please post the link. Has to be available on Newegg.ca.

Thanks dudes

rajmccurry

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Sorry bout the newb questions, but out of the ASRock Z87 Extreme6, the MSI Z87-GD65 and the Asus Z87 PLUS, which would be the best for gaming?

On a side note, when comparing motherboards, what are the crucial aspects I have to compare? cause whenever I look at the full detailed description of mobos on Newegg all I see is a bunch of blah that I can't understand. Thanks.

rajmccurry

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for the answer, but what I meant was which is the higher end of the 3, and why? (i.e. more compatibilities, better performance overall or whatever)

And if you could answer my other question , that would be appreciated... since i'm a newb I just want to know how I can compare mobos and their performance... :pt1cable:

G

Some ways to distinguish between gaming mobos are to look at the audio chipset and what kind of LAN connection there is, because sound and internet quality will vary between mobos. As far as the Asus Z87 plus, the ASRock Extreme6, and the MSI gaming ones go, there is not much difference in terms of LAN ports, but the ASRock and MSI have nicer audio than the Asus.

Another difference between mobos is the number of SATA ports, but you should not be too concerned with this. The Asus and MSI have 8 SATA ports each, which is plenty for most gaming builds. The ASRock Extreme 6 has 10, which could mean spending a couple bucks for extra ports. As far as I can tell (and I'm far from an expert), the most significant difference between the ASRock Extreme 4 and 6 is the number of internal connections. Most likely, the Extreme 4 has enough connections for you, and you could save some money by getting it instead of the 6.

Another thing that makes a difference is the quality of power delivered to the CPU and memory. Some mobos have better capacitors and Mosfets which make the system more stable when overclocking and give the computer a longer lifespan. Asus has a great reputation for putting high quality parts into their products, but the other two brands are probably fine too.

Each mobo is also going to have its own unique software package. I have used Asus's software and I like it. If you're interested, I'm sure you can find more specific reviews of each mobo's software package.

I would go with the MSI Z87-GD65.

rajmccurry

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Hold on...
I was going to use the ASRock Z87 Extreme6 with a hd 7850 1gb. Is it still a good choice or should I change something up?
Someone over here told me that I should instead get a MSI Z87-G45 and a 7950.
For a gaming PC, is that something I should do?