Help me out here guys!

This is my current rig:

AMD FX-6300 (oc'd to 4.5ghz)
Crossfire HD 7950s (oc'd to 1200/1350)
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
8GB 1600 RAM
850w XFX PSU
Bitfenix Shinobi

Now, I'd been all set on upgrading the CPU to either an i5 3570k or i7 3770k. I've got a mobo (ASRock Extreme 4) and had ordered an i7 from a popular auction site. However, the guy ripped me off. No communication and never turned up (he even blocked me on YouTube when I found him there and deleted his Twitter account to avoid my questions!) I have a case open with him which I can escalate for a refund on Wednesday, at which point I was planning to order another Intel CPU (this time from a reliable seller!).

However, I've got cold feet!

After reading a couple of articles saying that an FX-8350 would be the better "future-proof" upgrade due to the multi-core AMD processors on PS3 and Xbox One, I'm wondering if I should go down that route instead.

If I did that it would free up cash for me to ditch the 7950s and go for a GTX 780. I know AMD has these new drivers on the way next month for Crossfire owners but I'd be lying if I said a single GPU solution doesn't appeal - quieter, cooler, potentially smoother!

But the i5/i7 benchmarks suggest either will destroy an FX-8350.

So which will give me the best performance and the better long-term build? The Intel CPU with my Crossfire 7950s or the eight-core AMD with a 780?

Help!

Cyanide Reverse

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Personally I would go down the route of the Crossfire's plus the I5/I7 processors as I prefer Intel processors. Going down the route of the AMD + Nvidia is also viable as a single card would give less issues but correct me if I'm wrong, 2 7950's would outperform a single 780?

BanjoTed

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Yes, Xfire 7950's out-spec a 780 but what I'm not so sure about is whether or not the smoother single-GPU experience will make up for it in other respects?

Cyanide Reverse

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Well it really depends on the new drivers. If they're good for Xfire and produce minimal frame stutter (like the drivers don't do right now) then keeping a Xfire would be worth it but if they do continue to produce too much microstutter then the 780 would probably be the better choice.