Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

'New Build' Advice needed

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 9, 2013 2:02:13 PM

Alright so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area and I'm sorry if I haven't!

I'm planning a build to purchase within the next few months. I'm aiming for a PC that will be great for video/graphic editing but also gaming and some animating(probably not much). I also plan on overclocking.

I would just like to know if everything is compatible and if I'm spending too much or too little on certain areas of the PC :) 

The parts I have chosen so far:

Case - NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black Full Tower Case (http://tinyurl.com/lukvc4a)
Motherboard - MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming (http://tinyurl.com/onw69mc)
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K (http://tinyurl.com/psv2p7a)
RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance (http://tinyurl.com/mpbw48q)
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 (http://tinyurl.com/7xsoo9z)
GPU - 3GB PNY GTX 780 (http://tinyurl.com/ksgerov)
SSD - 128GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2.5" SSD (http://tinyurl.com/otlsbtz)
HDD - 750GB Seagate Momentus XT (http://tinyurl.com/m9qyaee)
PSU - 750W Akasa Venom Power Modular (http://tinyurl.com/kh76rd6)
x2 Monitors - 23" Acer H236HLbmjd IPS (http://tinyurl.com/lfcvkuv)

Total price = £1855.01





More about : build advice needed

a c 655 4 Gaming
June 9, 2013 8:25:54 PM

Looks sweet, do you already have an OS? will want to be sure to get a 64bit one
June 10, 2013 10:47:54 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Looks sweet, do you already have an OS? will want to be sure to get a 64bit one


I will download windows 7 64bit version :)  I know windows 8 has it's advantages but I just hate the user interface
Related resources
a c 655 4 Gaming
June 10, 2013 11:11:31 AM

That's two of us, I was running the beta from the initial release up till they released it to the public, pulled it off that system and back to WIN7, I still keep it avail on two systems for support reasons, but I load it into a VM when I need to take a look...the new 8.1 may be worth a look to you, it can be configured to the more familiar Win feel
June 10, 2013 1:11:49 PM

Tradesman1 said:
That's two of us, I was running the beta from the initial release up till they released it to the public, pulled it off that system and back to WIN7, I still keep it avail on two systems for support reasons, but I load it into a VM when I need to take a look...the new 8.1 may be worth a look to you, it can be configured to the more familiar Win feel


Maybe if I had a tablet, but for graphic design and actual work I'd rather stick with something practical! Windows 7 will do me just great! :) 

So do you think that my build will be good? It's my first one and I'm not sure if I've got a good motherboard or cooling to support some good overclocking

a c 655 4 Gaming
June 10, 2013 2:41:27 PM

4770K is great, once installed and having run a few days (I normally try and allow for about 4-5 days for the thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink to cure), just start raising the CPU multiplier...think it's at about 4.2 that voltage comes into play, just raise it gradually...at each step up let it run awhile and use as normal, test it a little and move on. The Noctua NH-D14 is a great cooler and your case has plenty of spots for fans (10 I think) if you need to add additional for better airflow. Your mobo has had good reviews
June 11, 2013 9:14:37 AM

Tradesman1 said:
4770K is great, once installed and having run a few days (I normally try and allow for about 4-5 days for the thermal compound on the CPU/heatsink to cure), just start raising the CPU multiplier...think it's at about 4.2 that voltage comes into play, just raise it gradually...at each step up let it run awhile and use as normal, test it a little and move on. The Noctua NH-D14 is a great cooler and your case has plenty of spots for fans (10 I think) if you need to add additional for better airflow. Your mobo has had good reviews


Thanks! :D  Really excited for the build. I just need another £800 or so ahaa.

Now to find a place to put a full tower! o.o
a c 655 4 Gaming
June 11, 2013 9:17:34 AM

I know the feeling, I'm still wanting to build a maxed out X79 for myself, but every time I look at the CPUs and 64GB sets of DRAM, it makes me sick ;) 
!