What is the hardest part of a build?

I would say the hardest part is getting good cable management. Even though good cable management is optional, it is highly recommended.
The easiest part to mess up on, I would say whenever you work with the motherboard. You have to make sure you discharge yourself from static before touching it, otherwise you may shock your motherboard and then it won't work.

If you shock the motherboard, it will just die. There is no way to reduce the lifespan, you either shock it and it dies or you don't shock it and it won't die.
You don't need one of those anti-static wrist straps to discharge yourself.
A cheap way is to touch something metal to discharge yourself.

I don't think you need anti-static wrist straps if you regularly discharge yourself, but it largely depends on the climate.

I would say the hardware part for a newbie would be properly installing a CPU heatsink.

hmmm...
building up a rig is not that difficult anymore like 10-15 years ago when you had to set the jumpers on the mobo, etc.
Now, the mobo is jumper free. You can do everything in BIOS.

There are also era where you can mess up the plugs since they were not yet mechanically coded.
Today, all the plugs are mechanically coded to make sure that people do not plug things wrongly.

Yes...like others have mentioned:
Static electricity is the usual problem people forget. (I killed a processor and a mobo long ago because of this...I learned my lesson)
For newbies, installing the cpu fan correctly is a problem
Getting your cables management to be tidy and clean is also a problem, especially if your case is small or badly designed.

However...a bit off topic
the most difficult part for me is to finance the damn rig :D

TRENDING THREADS