Dell Dimension 2400 w/ XP Reload

krr711

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I am stumped. I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 about circa 2004 that needs XP reloaded. I have all of the software that came with it when it was new. I read somewhere that you are supposed to use CNTRL 11 after the Dell logo and before the Windows XP starts to load. It simply will not respond to that command. I can go into the bios no problem. Several years ago I took it to a PC shop and they reloaded it for me. If they did not use the factory software but their own copy of XP would that cause the problem? What are my options for reloading XP? I actually have a fresh, unused copy of XP, but I know that getting all of the drivers located can create another issue so before I start I thought I would ask for your help. Thank you.

WinOutreach6

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Krr711,

What you’re referring to is pressing the ctrl + F11 keys together and getting the option to reset to factory settings.

Since you had a shop reinstall Windows XP for you in the past, more than likely they used their own copy of Windows XP and used your product key so the ctrl + F11 key sequence will not work.

As long as you have your boot order set to boot from your CD/DVD drive, you’ll see the message to press any key to boot from the CD. The other option is to press F12 when your system is starting up to get to the boot menu. From there you can select your CD/DVD drive. Then you can proceed with your Windows XP installation.

Once you get to this point, you can install Windows XP either from your unused copy or your original Dell copy. For your convenience, here is the link to where you can obtain the appropriate drivers for your Dell Dimension 2400.

Keep in mind also the upcoming Windows XP End of Support date, which is April 8, 2014. If you meet the system requirements, it is strongly recommended that users make the move to a modern operating system such as Windows 7 or Windows 8 by then. This Springboard Blog post covers more about what end of support means and what you can do to prepare.

Mike
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet
Windows XP End of Support

krr711

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

krr711

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thank you WinOutreach6,

Your answer is very thorough and covers all of my concerns. It is also easy to understand. The end of support date is not very far away, perhaps I will just consider a newer OS. Thanks again for all of the thought put into your answer.

krr711