Should i go with Intel or AMD for gaming?

A_Walrus

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
ok before i start, i completely realize that intel is faster than AMD, but for the price is it really worth it is what im asking. i was going to go for the i5-3570K 3.4 ghz/ 4 core with the asrock extreme4. but then i saw the AMD fx-6300 3.5ghz/6 core for 80 dollars cheaper. AND THEN to confuse me even more, any time i looked up comparisons of the 2, i only found comparisons with the FX-8350, which is 4.0ghz with 8 cores. and thats where i get confused, the AMD seems SO much better for SO much cheaper? what am i missing? why do people like intel so much more? btw im on a 1000 dollar budget, so if i go with the fx-6300 i could even fit in an ssd. so can someone please tell me why BOTH of those AMD's are better than the i5-3570K?????? (i AM a noob at building computers and this is for my first pc build, and im not a fan boy of either, as i dont have experience with either, so no raging please! and explain this for a noob! i dont quite understand geek english lol)

Forte EXE

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
BAsicly the intel processor have stronger cores then the amd cores so in single threaded task the intel performs much better. For the most part games are single thread oriented no game out now uses more then 2-4 cores meaning the intel is working more of the total cpu were much of the amd processor is sitting by doing nothing.

Also each of the intel 4 cores is whole were the amds 8 cores are kinda half cores every 2 cores shares a cache with each other making the 8 core more like a 4 real core 4 virtual core machine. This becomes important when your not using all your cores cuz if the intle is using 2 cores its using 2 FULL fores with 2 FULL cashes were if the amd is using 2 cores its more like its using 1.5 cores cuz the 2 working cores are SHARING a cache unlike the intel cores who each have there own.

HANDS DOWN the 3570k is better for gaming because currently games are closer to intels single core usage BUT with the next gen consoles coming out soon this MIGHT change its been confirmed the wii u and the ps4 both will be using amd chipsets the ps4 being a amd 8 core and the xbox 1 is using a 8 core as well this could mean games might perform better on a amd processor in the future compared to a intel one IF games begin to utilize more cores.

Now while saying the 3570k is better then the 8350 is true 90% of the time you will NEVER notice a difrence to the naked eye. SURE the intels frame rates will be higher by 10-20% in most games BUT the 8350 will still play those same games at playable results with 60+ fps on high settings (considering you have a good GPU) so in the long run it dosent realy matter too too much which you pick.

Also now that the new intel chipsets are out "Haswell" the ivybridge sets aka the one the 3570k uses the 1155 sockets are dead sockets. if you buy a 3570k when you do eventualy upgrade u will need not only the new cpu but a new motherboard too. The amd cpus however have been using the same sockets for a while and its been stated by amd that there next chip set comming out soo to compete with intels haswells will be using the same chipset as the 8350 so if you buy the 8350 now odds are when u do upgrade ur cpu down the line u will be able to reuse your motherboard this makes upgrades cheaper. Another note on Haswell chipsets there almost not worth buying unless you ONLY buying them to make it cheeper to upgrade later they run hotter then ivybridge chipsets and cant be overclocked as well so the 3570k will actualy outperform the 4670k even tho the 4670k is newer so paying more for it makes no sense at all.

(just so there is no misunderstandings iv only been researching computers for about 2 weeks everything i know has been learned in 2 weeks im STILL deciding on which i want myself a amd or a intel build iv scoured the internet and tons of forums and youtube videos its a hard decision but im still like 99% sure everything iv stated above is true since its been confirmed over and over on multiple sites and forums)

AdamSpencer95

Honorable
May 22, 2013
if you want the absolute best for gaming ignoring cost then go for the intel. If you want a decent rig whilst saving a lot of money, go AMD. Then put the money you saved into a much stronger GPU and you will be laughing. GPU is the most important component for gaming and none of the CPU's you mentioned are likely to bottleneck any GPUs apart from possibly the 'extreme' $800 video cards. Hope that helps.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Food for thought, people had speculated in recent months that since Sony and Microsoft went with AMD supplied cpus in their new consoles that perhaps future games will be optimized for the AMD platform. This is turning out to at least be somewhat true; it was announced via twitter that Battlefield 4 will be optimized exclusively for AMD cpus and gpus.

Perhaps the following charts can help. Note that the FX-8350 and FX-6300 have different clock speeds 4.0GHz vs. 3.5GHz. Max Turbo clocks are 4.2GHz vs. 4.1GHz. Also, the resolution is set to 1680 x 1050 because higher resolution means the games' performance are more dependent on the GPU than the CPU. In other words, at resolutions above 1680 x 1050 the difference in FPS performance should be a little lower.

All of the following benchmarks are from Anandtech. All the games are known to be CPU bound, therefore it should be no surprise that they all performs better with an Intel CPU because at the same clock speed Intel CPU cores are more powerful than AMD CPU cores. After all, the review is about the CPU's capabilities.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5

51123.png

51124.png

51138.png

51139.png

51140.png

51141.png

The following benchmarks are from TechSpot and they are all available from the following link. Simply scroll down to the Gaming GPU/CPU Performance section. These starts off with the most recent games; Metro Last Light; and goes back in chronological order all back to May 2011 with Dirt 3.

Source: http://www.techspot.com/guides-gaming.shtml

CPU_01.png

CPU_03.png

CPU_03.png

CPU_03.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU1.png

CPU_01.png

CPU3.png

CPU1.png

Basically the end result is that there is not much performance difference between a 6 core CPU and 8 core CPU. Bioshock Infinite doesn't care if you have 2/4/6/8 cores. Tomb Raider seem to only get a minimal benefit going from 2 to 4 cores and nothing after that. Medal of Honor doesn't give a crap about the CPU as longs as it does not limit the GPU.

I'll let you interpret the rest on your own.