Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2+AMD

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hello!
I am trying to find a good aftermarket cpu cooler for my Phenom II x4 965.I was suggested to get Hyper 212 Evo,which is probably not going to fit in my case(Coolermaster K280),so i am thinking about the AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2.From what i have read so far,it's not as good as 212 Evo.I also read there is a problem with AM3 chips,that the contact surface is not covering the face of the chip.Is that true?Also,will i get better temps than my stock cooler(~40 idle,even 68 full load,60-61 after re-applying thermal paste)?I have not overclocked it and i am not going to.Any other cooler i should consider that is good for this cpu?
Thank you!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
According to the specs for that case, it can accept a CPU cooler up to 162mm in height. The EVO is 159mm tall. So it should fit.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/k280.html
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3053&product_name=Hyper%20212%20EVO

But to answer your question, yes the CM Freezer 7 Pro 2 is a decent cooler for the money. I had one I put on several Phenom II X4's including my 965 BE. It did a nice job at cooling on the O/C processor. I never had the issue you speak of. The cooler covered the CPU's heat spreader just fine.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I just got it,i will install it later.Is the thermal paste it comes with any good?(I think it's MX-2)Otherwise i will use my Prolimatech PK-3.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
By "it" I presume you mean the Freezer 7? Or do you mean the EVO? TIM that is on most of today's coolers is of decent quality. I usually leave it and see how it performs. Generally (I've found) there is only a 2C or 3C degree difference between the worst and the best. Personally, I like MX-4. Unlike Prolimatech, AS5, and other metal-based TIMs, MX-4 is not electrically conductive.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Yes i mean AC Freezer 7.Prolimatech PK-3 is also electrically non-conductive.I don't know older ones(PK-1,PK-2).