Insight on my first build?

falser3ligion

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hey guys, I'm looking at making my first build and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight into anything I should change! I'm looking at an entry-level-ish gaming pc to play new and upcoming games (battlefield 4) on good settings as well as current games.

GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard
Geforce GTX 670 GPU
Intel i5 3570k CPU
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz low profile RAM
Vertex 4 128GB Sata3 SSD
Hitachi 1tb HDD
Corsair GS600 PSU
Samsung DVD optical drive
Corsair air series SP120 performance twin pack
Corsair 200R case

Not very knowledgeable in this area.. Have I overkilled the cooling? Will 600W suffice this system? Is it worth going for the Z87/haswell motherboard/CPU? Is it worth spending a little more for the new GTX 770? Is 8gb RAM enough? I've read that anymore doesn't make a difference to gaming but I could be wrong?

Update: Also I will be modestly overclocking, perhaps from 3.4ghz to 4.0ghz?

X79

Honorable
Looks pretty good for a first build.

Yes 8GB 1600Mhz RAM is ideal for gaming.

That GPU will also do you well.

Make sure the HDD is 7200RPM at least.

As for cooling *Cue CM 212 Evo crowd* ...

The GTX 770 would be cool, however its GPU is the same as the GTX 680s

and the GTX 670 is a lot like the GTX 680 haha.

But of course if you can afford it, sure, go for it. It has some nice features such as GPU boost.

And yes that OC should be attainable if you do things right.

Protip: Get a good good case first time round. Then you'll be able to use it many times over.

A good case is... A spacious one, with good features (such as good cablemanagement thought into it).

It comes down to budgets and preferences though.

Also yes the 600W should be about enough, is my guess.

falser3ligion

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks for the help! By the cooling system you mentioned, do you mean the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?
Also some clarification, you spoke about the gtx 680, I was actually asking about the 770? It's the next gen graphics card, it's come out just recently? :)
With Cases, I like the sleek style, not the military/futuristic style most cases have in common, haha. Do you think I should be getting a better case than the 200r? Say the Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 or the Fractal R4? I've just always thought that a case is just a box that all the goodies are kept in and it doesn't really matter too much?

X79

Honorable
No problem. Feel free to ask if there's anything else.

Yes I meant the Evo. It's a bit of a joke that I reference it, because everyone else does.

What I meant about the GTX 680 was that the GPU it uses, the GK 104, is the same one the

GTX 770 uses and you picked a GTX 670. The 670 is the one many will recommend going for, if it's

a choice between that and the GTX 680, because the GTX 670 has much of the performance of the 680,

but isn't as expensive. If it fits in your build, sure, go for the 770 or 80. But that's not entry level gaming lol.

Both the GTX 770 and 80 have just been released yes. More cards are expected to come; such as the GTX 760

perhaps. Do you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse? And if you do have a monitor, what's its resolution?

Cases are a personal choice, so go for what you like. The 200R is quite decent I suppose. The Fractal R4 is very

popular among people who want unassuming computers; also for those who don't like to hear their computer.

A case isn't just a box your computer parts go into; though it's easy to see why one would think so. A good case

will not only allow you plenty of room for all your components, but it'll have lots of useful features. The R4 for instance

has noise-reducing materials and maybe noise is an important factor for you. But a good case might also offer things

like good cable-management. Because however dull it might sound, if you don't route cables around the internals of the

case at least decently, it can make taking parts in and out tedious. It can also reduce the quality of the airflow in the

case, which is quite bad if you're wanting to keep things cool. And keeping things cool, is important in general, as components

don't like to get too warm; but if you're overclocking (OC'ing) then keeping things cool becomes even more important.

Furthermore, if you get a good case to start off with, you'll be able to reuse it across many future builds if you so chose.

So there's lots to cases. Personally I prefer mid to full tower cases, since I don't want my options to be diminished (such

as only being able to go with a micro ATX motherboard).

falser3ligion

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, it's just so irresistable to spend that little bit more though, isn't it! haha
I think I probably will stick with the GTX 670 but I'll keep on the lookout! This is just early planning, i'm not going to go buy the parts tomorrow!
Yes I do have a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse but to be honest they are all pretty crap. The keyboard and mouse are both at least 1.5 years old and were probably about $30 a piece. The monitor is a 22" i'm pretty sure and it's recommended resolution is 1920 by 1080. It's an AOC DCR 30000:1 if that makes any difference. I'm aware that it is LCD and that LED monitors are slightly better for gaming but as I said before I'm aiming to keep my price as low as possible! (Whilst maintaining some good features for gaming)

TRENDING THREADS