Your question
Closed

HP Providing Fanless Haswell Tablet Later This Year

Last response: in News comments
June 10, 2013 8:34:43 AM

Shut and take my money
Score
June 10, 2013 8:44:39 AM

I absolutely love my Surface Pro, but I would love for it to be fanless. Not that it makes a lot of noise under workload, but the fewer mechanical parts on my computers, the better.
Score
June 10, 2013 8:45:17 AM

I absolutely love my Surface Pro, but I would love for it to be fanless. Not that it makes a lot of noise under workload, but the fewer mechanical parts on my computers, the better.
Score
June 10, 2013 8:47:51 AM

Score
June 10, 2013 9:15:27 AM

So ...what do you think about your Surface Pro? :) 
Score
June 10, 2013 9:23:44 AM

Using a heatpipe is not liquid cooling, otherwise I could say that my 4 year old gaming laptop came from the factory with liquid cooling.
Score
June 10, 2013 9:23:55 AM

Using a heatpipe is not liquid cooling, otherwise I could say that my 4 year old gaming laptop came from the factory with liquid cooling.
Score
June 10, 2013 9:24:13 AM

delme
Score
June 10, 2013 9:29:25 AM

tburns1 said:
So ...what do you think about your Surface Pro? :) 

LOL. If only Tom's could fix this bug. Hitting refresh after submitting a response just re-posts your response. How hard could that be to fix?
Score
June 10, 2013 10:06:41 AM

I smell something burning
Score
June 10, 2013 10:37:06 AM

A move in the right direction, but call me a skeptic. Current Win 8 pro tablets have fans that are hardly that obtrusive and, as someone who has been a mobile PC gamer for over a decade, I've seen more than a few laptop designs that have heating that is *barely* adequate for the hardware put into the machine, if it could even considered to be so. I've had gaming laptops that were more or less only useable in basement suites or in the winter, and even then only when they were elevated in such a manner so as to have maximum surface area exposed.(I'm looking at you Toshiba Qosmio of about 2007!)

As for HP specifically, their current crop of tablets have less RAM and a general weaker component profile for the same price point as some of their competitors. I do want Windows 8 tablets without active heating involved, but I'm going to watch and wait until maybe the second or third generation of such devices before I jump in. As already stated, current gen tablet fans just aren't that obtrusive.

Also, get the price down. Full Windows 8 tablets are generally superior in functionality to iOS and Android devices but at 2 to 3 times the price, what the heck are these hardware manufacturers expecting?
Score
June 10, 2013 10:45:30 AM

Interesting. From what I have seen the Y models with 6W TDP will be very expensive (over 300$) so I wonder if they will make it to the market. I know I won't buy a smartphone for over 500$; for 600$ or more I would purchase an ultrabook with 15W or more and why not one with nvidia 740.
Score
June 10, 2013 11:40:45 AM

Score
!