Need a secure network in office and unsecure network for downstairs cafe. Is this possible?

G

Hi all,

We currently have a secure network for file sharing and internet connection in the shop I work in. We require a unsecure internet connection for customers visiting the café at the back of the shop. I have read that it is not possible to have two routers running on the same phone line. We have just bought a second router and would like advice on how to set this up if possible or if we just need to return it and give up! We cannot have the risk of a customer in the café accessing the business files in the office or tills. Many thanks in advance

Linsay

your dsl router should have a DMZ function.

assign the second router a static IP from the range of the DSL router and place that IP into the DMZ of the dsl router.

make sure that the IP range of the second router is different then that of the dsl router.

dsl router 192.168.1.x
second router 192.168.5.x

G

Ok thanks very much,
Just to clarify before I go any further, the new router in the café (belkin) has been set up as a wireless network, dhcp disabled, security disabled and assigned a name that customers will easily recognise. I have confirmed using a laptop in the café that I can still access all other devices and their shared files on our main router (BT) through "show workgroup computers". Will DMZ stop this access? It took ages to set up the network to start with so I'm just being cautious.

Many thanks again
Linsay

G

Sorry, forgot to mention I have assigned the new router an available IP in the range of the first router which then allowed internet access.

Linsay

which port on the Belkin did you use to connect it to the BT router?

What model Belkin is it?

You should have DHCP enabled on the Belkin.

The IP from the BT router range should be assigned to the WAN side of the Belkin. The IP range of the LAN side of the Belkin should be different than the WAN IP range.

G

Hi,
It's a belkin surf n300 and is connected to the bt router through the LAN socket. There is a WAN(ADSL) socket but there is no cable to fit that with a cat 5 attachment at the end. It was belkin that set it up and she didn't really understand what I was trying to achieve!

Many thanks
Linsay