Intel's Recommended Memory Types - i5-4670k?

sdogg1m

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Looking at the i5-4670k processor, Intel recommends DDR3 1333/1600 memory. Socket LGA 1150 motherboards can allow for up to DDR3 3000 (OC) memory installations. Is there any reason to exceed Intel's recommended memory speed?

8350rocks

Distinguished
Anything over 1600 MHz memory is not natively supported by intel. I would recommend saving some money and just get the 1600 MHz, your performance gain with intel drops off radically after that point. AMD systems can use higher bandwidth memory better, but intel doesn't utilize anything over 1600 MHz memory worth justifying the price of better RAM.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Performance continues to increase in small increments, but bandwidth increases in higher proportion, so if you plan to OC at all, higher freq is better especially if you multi-task, work w/ large data sets, video, images, CAD, GIS, etc.

The 1333/1600 is recommended for the Haswell lines as 'native' meaning not much more than the CPU can handle those freqs with a fully populated mobo and no OC...I build 40-50+ higher end rigs a year and 1866 has been my suggested entry level going back to Sandy Bridge....If any doubts get on a system running 1600 and run through multiple apps with all ope at the same time, then do the same basic things on the same rig with faster sticks, and you can see and feel the increase (at least about 85% of my clients do) this is an excellent way to let people see which is better (best way is to do it blind) with you not knowing what the system is running