Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sony Releases Instructional Video On Sharing Used Games

Last response: in News comments
June 11, 2013 7:03:10 PM

This made me laugh SO hard when I saw it yesterday...
June 11, 2013 7:13:10 PM

I wish we lived in a world where Sony could make this funny ass video and not have to put fine print on the bottom cuz some douche bag is going to hold them to this till the end of time.
Related resources
June 11, 2013 7:14:22 PM

I wish we lived in a world where Sony could make this funny ass video and not have to put fine print on the bottom cuz some douche bag is going to hold them to this till the end of time.
June 11, 2013 7:35:31 PM

Microsoft, just relax. Let it happen. It will be over soon.
June 11, 2013 7:38:42 PM

U mad Xbox One fans? Good on Sony for not applying the always online DRM and the used game fee.
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2013 7:43:52 PM

The instructional video was sooo complex and convoluted that I needed to watch the video several times to understand what was going on....
June 11, 2013 7:58:14 PM

Hilarious way to make Microsoft look bad.
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2013 8:14:44 PM

I'm hoping Microsoft learns there lesson from this, what they are doing is completely ridiculous. Sony is just wiping the floor with Microsoft.
June 11, 2013 8:15:49 PM

Definitely buying Sony. The last thing I want is (more) MS spyware in my house with no real way to trade used games. Sony all the way.
June 11, 2013 9:19:05 PM

Instructions were too confusing, I got the fork stuck in the electrical outlet :(  .
June 11, 2013 9:33:36 PM

And what happens when e.g. EA release a game for PS4 and EA ties it into your details and requires online connection every time you play it. Nothing Sony can do about that. So much for swapping games with your mates at that point. I'm a PC gamer, so used to not being able to trade games (Steam). I like what Sony is doing, just hope they can stick with it and override the publishing companies. Otherwise at that point MS wins, because at least they have a strategy to trade games, as much as that strategy sucks.
June 11, 2013 9:56:27 PM

Funny video, but the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race will still reign above all the dirty console peasants.
June 11, 2013 10:43:54 PM

There are two things I hope Microsoft takes to heart after all the dust has settled. Stop treating your customers like walking, talking wallets that do nothing other than spew money, and actually LISTEN to your customer's feedback. FFS, as if they didnt learn this the hard way with Windows 8 (not listening to feedback, hoping to lock us all in via the store to extract even more money), they go and make similar boneheaded moves with the new Xbox. Christ, at this point its like they just want to piss all over their customers/fans with their controlling, greedy bullshit.
June 11, 2013 10:55:24 PM

Looks like If I ever get a next-gen console its going to be a PS4.
June 11, 2013 11:00:09 PM

brought tears to my eyes
June 11, 2013 11:26:57 PM

How do you share games purchased on PSN?
June 12, 2013 2:10:35 AM

Last time Sony started bad and Microsoft did well, now the sides switch. Well played Sony!
June 12, 2013 5:00:42 AM

MS just like the good (bad) old MS... always need to be embarrassed by the competition in order to make things right.

Remember how Apple embarrassed MS using "Mac guy vs. PC guy" ads campaign to remind Windows Vista failure. Now is the Sony's turn....
June 12, 2013 5:26:36 AM

Working on public fears to gain lost foothold to future customers... This is a basic marketing 101 tactic. Sony needs more than this in order to lure customers back. However, only time will tell if this policy will be able to stick. Sony likes to give people only half of their intentions and quickly change when odds are in their favor.
June 12, 2013 6:27:17 AM

Since I am mostly a PC gamer, sharing games is out of my thought process for the most part. But the idea that the game I paid full price for, generally $60, is actually a license to play such game and I do not own it is absolutely absurd to me. Ford did not sell me a license to own a car. They sold me an actual, physical car. Which I own and can do with what I want. If MS wants to sell me a license for a game, fine. But you can't charge full price and expect people not to try to recoup some of the costs even if it means getting ripped off by Game Stop on a trade in. It's only going to lead to fewer game sales.
June 12, 2013 7:22:05 AM

Looks Like Sony is capitalizing on Microcraps doe headed moves LMAO!!!
June 12, 2013 7:55:43 AM

@frank the tank : First of all, it's not always online, it's online once a day. 2nd, there's no used game fee. Good try, though. Maybe MS should make a video on how to play a game without needing the disc.
June 12, 2013 8:06:05 AM

IAmVortigaunt said:
@frank the tank : First of all, it's not always online, it's online once a day. 2nd, there's no used game fee. Good try, though. Maybe MS should make a video on how to play a game without needing the disc.

So what happens if I am over seas with my XBOX ONE while I am sailing (I'm in the Navy) And it can't connect online. Can I still play my games or am I screwed???

June 12, 2013 8:21:01 AM

Avus said:
Remember how Apple embarrassed MS using "Mac guy vs. PC guy" ads campaign to remind Windows Vista failure. Now is the Sony's turn....

Yes, now Microsoft is like Apple (locking their system down) and Sony is like Android.
June 12, 2013 8:43:18 AM

Haha, way to kick microsoft in the balls while their down.
June 12, 2013 8:59:30 AM

edogawa said:
I'm hoping Microsoft learns there lesson from this, what they are doing is completely ridiculous. Sony is just wiping the floor with Microsoft.

Thing is, this is the way gaming is moving. Heck, not just gaming, but software/digital content in general, the days of major companies releasing content without significant DRM are numbered. Sony is going without this for now as a short term sales pitch... But do you think, for a heartbeat, that they won't happily go DRM heavy next generation if it won't be a PR nightmare? By that point, assuming they're releasing consoles rather than services, I would give them a snowball's chance in hell of not going DRM heavy. Heck, they've now gone with the maligned play-for-multiplayer service which a lot of people claimed they would never do... Why? Because people don't get so up in arms about it any more - MS has got people used to it and now Sony can cash in as well, but without the public backlash.

At this point Sony is playing catchup. They *gladly* forced Blu-Ray on gamers last gen at the gamer's expense and were quite vocal that gamers should just have to work a bit harder at their jobs to afford the luxury item that was the PS3. Now they've added pay-for-multiplayer to their console... You really think this company is trying to do you a favour, is looking out for your best interests? They are not going DRM heavy because of PR concerns and because they want a leg up on the competition. That's it. The moment they figure it won't land them in hot water, the moment they don't have as much to lose after a dud generation, they'll load you up with every unpopular bit of technology/control/whatever they can think of.

Pat Sony on the back, but these company's all think they same. They are not your friends and anyone who thinks that Sony is on your side more than MS... Keep dreaming.
June 12, 2013 9:26:54 AM

Is this is too hard to do without an transaction fee, Microsoft?
June 12, 2013 9:47:25 AM

I very much dislike Microsoft but banning game sharing is the best thing they could do. You want to know why that is? It's because I prefer to pay $5 instead of $50 for each game. Game sharers have been essentially stealing money from non game sharers for years. It needs to stop.
June 12, 2013 12:34:52 PM

damn sony is fast. ps4 is going to black out xboxone like a solar eclipse.
June 12, 2013 1:26:45 PM

If you were a true gamer you would know that used games are bad for the gaming community. The original producers get no money to put back into other games, meaning we will get less games and less quality. So in order to save $5 at gamestop people are lessening our game quality and selection. What do you think Sony will do once xbox goes away? Gauge you for every little penny, since there will be no competition left. I'm willing to pay a little more to get better quality games, and I'm not so hard up that I need to sell my used games.
June 13, 2013 6:37:27 AM

Some people are just freaking blind... There's a guy down the comments that says he will pay a bit more for a game to have more quality in'em, because that will make a difference in the account balance of the producers... Yeah, tell me another ludicrous tale, pal!

Have you ever noticed how freaking many ads and banners and stuff like that are on the games nowadays? Do you know the average amount of money that costs to put an ad on a AAA game? Like NFS, Grid2, GTA, Forza, Gran Turismo, Residen Evil? Its on the tenths of thousands, man... That for minor stuff, like a little banner on camouflaged away (but that still kicks on your subconsciousness' door). As in NFS Undercover, the huge banners above the streets were HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars. The producers get their money that way, if you weren't aware of it.

WAKE THE HECK UP, PEOPLE! YOUR MONEY GOES TO THE ADVERTISERS IN THE GAMES! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU STEAL A GAME FROM A STORE OR IF YOU PAY 100US$ FOR AN IN-BOX GAME! IT DOES NOT MATTER!
June 14, 2013 6:17:57 AM

zedon said:
The original producers get no money to put back into other games, meaning we will get less games and less quality.

I disagree. I have a shelf full of games purchased new. All of these titles were bought because I purchased a used game first, realized that I, or the kids, really liked it (The character or characters, the story, the world, the gameplay), and bought the subsequent sequels NEW. If I didn't try it out first I would have never paid full price. Yes, the developers did not get my original used purchase money but they sure as heck got everything else.
!