Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB vs Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 2GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 12, 2013 1:40:17 AM

Hi, I just wanted to ask what the differences are between these two cards.

My local online store is selling them both for the exact same price, and I can't really find benchmarks of those exact ones to see the differences between the increased memory vs the newer model.

Thank you in advance!
June 12, 2013 2:22:31 AM

Hi!

For a good benchmarking website, here is a link:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

As far as the differences go, the 680 uses the GK104 GPU, and the 770 uses the newer GK106 GPU. While the GK106 is based on the GK104, Nvidia have made the GK106 much more efficient than its predecessor. Hence the performance improvements. The major differences between the two are as follows:

The 680 comes with either 2gb or 4gb of VRAM, an the 770 comes with 3gb of VRAM.
The 680 has a memory speed of 6gbps, whereas the 770 memory speed is 7gbps
The 680 Memory bandwidth is 192.2gb/sec and the 770 bandwidth is 224.3gb/sec

These are just a few of the differences, if you want to see the rest of the technical differences just take a look at NVidia's GeForce site.

Another difference is Nvidia's GPU boost. The 770 uses GPU Boost 2.0, which means that the 770 WANTs to run hotter to get the maximum performance out of the Boost.

If I were you, if they are the same price, get the 770.

Hope this helps!
June 12, 2013 2:25:59 AM

That's a tricky one... GTX770 is a little faster, but that 4GB might offer some future-proofing if you want the card to last a long time before upgrading. Be aware though that the GTX770 is typically cheaper than the GTX680, so your shop is likely either overcharging on the GTX770 or undercharging for the GTX680. You don't want to buy online?
Related resources
June 12, 2013 2:35:33 AM

Thinking about it actually, I'd definitely take the GTX680. That 4GB is potentially much more valuable than the tiny performance gain of the GTX770. You're looking at 5-10% framerate improvement at most from the GTX770. If the time when games are wanting more than 2GB comes before the time current GPUs are obsolete then GTX770 performance will drop like a stone due to that 2GB (by a lot more than 5-10%!).
June 12, 2013 3:15:34 AM

sam_p_lay said:
That's a tricky one... GTX770 is a little faster, but that 4GB might offer some future-proofing if you want the card to last a long time before upgrading. Be aware though that the GTX770 is typically cheaper than the GTX680, so your shop is likely either overcharging on the GTX770 or undercharging for the GTX680. You don't want to buy online?


I edited the post, sorry it was meant to say local online store (as I live in Australia).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

It shows that they are same price?
June 12, 2013 3:42:35 AM

Ah OK :-) Well I'd stand by the 4GB GTX680. The Gigabyte has a better cooler, which is encouraging for overclocking, though the GTX770 is the same chip pushed to higher clocks anyway so likely has less overclocking headroom in the first place. And you might not even want to overclock (I don't)! Warranties could be another consideration. In Britain, EVGA offer three years from date of purchase, while Gigabyte offer three years from date of manufacture (which on a new model should be close enough to three years). Warranty cover varies internationally though so could be worth checking out the specifics for Australia. If that's a typical GTX770 price though, the GTX680 is an absolute bargain.
June 12, 2013 3:51:20 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Ah OK :-) Well I'd stand by the 4GB GTX680. The Gigabyte has a better cooler, which is encouraging for overclocking, though the GTX770 is the same chip pushed to higher clocks anyway so likely has less overclocking headroom in the first place. And you might not even want to overclock (I don't)! Warranties could be another consideration. In Britain, EVGA offer three years from date of purchase, while Gigabyte offer three years from date of manufacture (which on a new model should be close enough to three years). Warranty cover varies internationally though so could be worth checking out the specifics for Australia. If that's a typical GTX770 price though, the GTX680 is an absolute bargain.


Thanks for all the advice, you've convinced me to go with the GTX680 :)  The stuff you said about warranty was important, and future-proofing is what you want when spending a lot xD

Cheers


June 12, 2013 3:59:52 AM

Couldn't agree more. Have fun with your purchase :-)
June 18, 2013 3:35:05 AM

GTX 770 Classified 4gb EVGA will smoke any 680.

Gpu boost 2.0 and cheaper than a 680 classified.
June 18, 2013 4:35:04 AM

Exoticheals said:
GTX 770 Classified 4gb EVGA will smoke any 680.

Gpu boost 2.0 and cheaper than a 680 classified.


Is that based on Australia prices? You can't make value recommendations without factoring in the OP's country and currency. And 'will smoke any' implies a huge performance difference, when the difference actually isn't huge at all. Best to quantify statements, e.g. to say card A averages 10% higher framerates than card B.
June 18, 2013 6:49:39 AM

Neither, get the EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler http://amzn.to/12iIbiR since it's by far the best option at the moment. If you are using a single monitor then there is no point using a 4GB card.
June 18, 2013 6:52:36 AM

byogamingpc said:
Neither, get the EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler http://amzn.to/12iIbiR since it's by far the best option at the moment. If you are using a single monitor then there is no point using a 4GB card.


Is that based on Australia prices? You can't make value recommendations without factoring in the OP's country and currency.
June 18, 2013 10:47:48 PM

Exoticheals said:
GTX 770 Classified 4gb EVGA will smoke any 680.

Gpu boost 2.0 and cheaper than a 680 classified.


You are getting the cards mixed up, the 770 is a Gigabyte 2GB Overclock Edition. The 680 is the 4GB EVGA Classified. There is no 770 4GB EVGA Classified mentioned.
June 18, 2013 10:49:32 PM

byogamingpc said:
Neither, get the EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX Cooler http://amzn.to/12iIbiR since it's by far the best option at the moment. If you are using a single monitor then there is no point using a 4GB card.


Please do not mention other cards I did not ask about, unless you feel like browsing the site I linked, and mentioning a card from there (listed at the same prices or less than the current two).
June 30, 2013 8:08:22 PM



Dude, the Gigabyte 770 2GB is $50 cheaper (now, might not have been at the time). And its the better card between the 2. If you haven't purchased yet, then buy the 770.

I went through the same thought process as you and finally went for the Gigabyte 770 OC 4GB (got 3 monitors so needed the extra VRAM). With all the little improvements on the 770 to 680, which makes the 770 perform better and cooler, the most relevant between the cards is that the 770 has GPU Boost 2.0.

Also, Gigabyte have improved the 3X WindForce cooler so much that out of all the manufacturers, their 770 has the highest overclock out the box and its still really quite. I had to manually increase the fan speed just to hear it and see how loud it gets in 100%.
August 15, 2013 3:07:54 AM

short answer GTX 770 is newer and better.
August 15, 2013 4:20:26 AM

alza6991 said:
Hi, I just wanted to ask what the differences are between these two cards.

My local online store is selling them both for the exact same price, and I can't really find benchmarks of those exact ones to see the differences between the increased memory vs the newer model.

Thank you in advance!


1. the 770 is GK104 not GK106 for the one that said it and 2 go for the newer card the 770 does WAY better then the 680 in alot of games and personally i think you would be playing your self going for the 680

!