I need help with a PC upgrade (gpu)

Davidmfox

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hi, my birthday is coming up and I'm really looking into a first good upgrade for my PC so i can start playing some new PC games. Ive done a good amount of research and I'm stuck right now.
Here's what I want:

AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.0 GHz quad core-$67 (CPU)

ASRock FX Socket AM3 Plus NVIDIA GeForce 7025 A V GbE Micro ATX-$44(MOBO)

Corsair (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory-$53

Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer-$22

What I'm stuck at is the GPU upgrade. At the moment I have a GEFORCE 8800 gt 512m GPU. I realize that it can not run directx11 and that most of the current games nowadays require directx11. What I'm looking for is a good upgrade for it at a low cost. I do not want to cross the 250$ line total for my upgrade (Im at $186). I would really appreciate some help here.

Thank you :)

PS- I might be able to ask for a better GPU from my parents if I get a job (I will be turning 16)

Davidmfox

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
A gtx650 looks like a good upgrade, I will look into finding a used one on amzaon. Thanks for the help :)

BTW- lets say I wait and save up to buy the graphic card and stay with the 8800gt for a month. Can it handle borderlands 2, bf3, and black ops 2? Thanks.

Well it depends on settings and resolution. Assuming you play at lower settings (and assuming DX11 isn't required), Borderlands 2 should be fine, Blops 2 a bit more demanding but probably fine at very low settings. Battlefield 3 you may struggle with. Borderlands 2 should keep you occupied for a long time though. Good luck finding a good deal :)

Davidmfox

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I see, I guess low res will have to do it then until I get my 650. Too be honest though I don't really care about the quality, I like the gameplay. Quality is a nice thing though xD

Davidmfox

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I see, I guess low res will have to do it then until I get my 650. Too be honest though I don't really care about the quality, I like the gameplay. Quality is a nice thing though xD

bf2 bad company should be good right?

Bad Company 2 is actually fairly demanding (though not compared to BF3 or Crysis 3 etc). It will need at least as much muscle as Blops 2. You'll probably be fine on very low settings though. What res is your monitor?

Haha it's because of what you've become used to. 1280x1024 is 5:4 (i.e. only a tiny bit wider than it is high) so nearly square. You're stretching that square across a widescreen display so you end up smearing the picture horizontally. 1440x900 maintains the 16:10 ratio so things look correct. Up to you of course - both are effectively equal interms of performance. 1440x900 is just more correct.