EVGA SR-X a good investment?

Woogies

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
So I'll be getting a couple of decommissioned dell servers soon, and I'm seeing an opportunity to build a monster gaming computer for under $800.

As far as I know these Dell servers have the Dual Core 2.4 Xeon Processors. I was thinking of purchasing the EVGA SR-X (http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=270-SE-W888-KR) motherboard and building from there.

I already have tons of Ram lying around, hard drives, a rather large case, fans and etc. My only expenses will really be the mother board and a graphics card.

Is this a good idea (remember the processors are free)? Any suggestions on graphics cards as well?

CDdude55

Distinguished
As a gaming computer i wouldn't go with an SR-X board, then again if all the other parts are there and it's basically just a matter of getting the board then it might be a good plan. But bear in mind most games are still not at the point where they can load up more then 4 cores so it might be a wasted effort in a sense for that task if you plan to more away from those dual core Xeons.

But overall, if i pretty much had everything already laying around and i could afford the board then sure.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Sure, and even if it doesn't preform amazingly well at games, you can sell it to someone who needs a workstation for ALOT of money.

I'd do it, with 800 budget you can spend 400 on a GPU if you buy say a used SRX board.