old laptop dead can i use old hard drive on new desktop build??

ok so my laptops video card died...Fing dells. before it died and it was working good i installed windows 7 home premium 32bit on it... just to find out it was going to die a few months later.So can i which that hard drive to my new computer build and make it 64bit? Is this possible or will i just fry all my new expensive parts? and if it is possible how would i do that?

thanks for the help
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop dead hard drive desktop build
  1. or is it possible to just install my retail windows to a new hard drive on my new build since my old laptop is no longer in use?
  2. You could use the laptop hard drive but the form factors are different from desktops, unless you have a case that will work with SSD's or the 2.5" laptop drives. You would also have to reinstall Windows anyhow to get the 64-bit setup. I would recommend getting either an SSD or a 3.5" hard drive.
  3. MidnightDistort said:
    You could use the laptop hard drive but the form factors are different from desktops, unless you have a case that will work with SSD's or the 2.5" laptop drives. You would also have to reinstall Windows anyhow to get the 64-bit setup. I would recommend getting either an SSD or a 3.5" hard drive.

So I can install windows 7 64bit on a new 3.5" hard drive or SSD? Because if I can just do that that would just be way easier on me.
  4. Yep, it'll work that way.
Ask a new question