Sign in with
Your question

Is the 780gtx enough to outdate next gen consoles

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2013 11:41:46 AM

I want a graphic card that outdates the next gen consoles graphics

For example in Games that are coming like BF4, TitanFall etc. I want to run those games in a higher setting than next gen consoles. Is the 780gtx ok ?

(I currently run two AMD 7770 HD and want to upgrade to the 780gtx)
June 12, 2013 11:52:11 AM

yes easily. the next gen consoles cards will be ps4 7750 eqivalent, xbox 720 similar to 7870 equivalent (non xt chip) so ur current system dosent really need an upgrade to beat those systems bc those already will np. i say dont fix what isnt broken.
June 12, 2013 12:03:40 PM

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps...

rvieaujr, I believe you got the two consoles backwards. PS4 will have the better graphics, 7870 equivilent, and XBOX One (not 720) will have a 7790ish.

Your two 7770's will likely be superior to the XBOX's graphics, but may be just barely keeping up with the single 7870 in the PS4.

Upgrading to a 780 will certainly blow either out of the water.

However, I would really recomend you wait until the games you want to play are out. Then, check if you can play them on the desired settings with what you have. If you can't, upgrade then.

Waiting is always better, since hardware always just gets cheaper and faster (Barring some sort of huge temporary sale, or some other reason it must be bought now).
Related resources
June 12, 2013 12:11:38 PM

Even thought the Xbox One and PS4 have less impressive specs than a PC they still can outperform one just based on the fact that developers can optimize their games for the console, since they know exactly what kind of hardware is going to be running the game. So, even though your GTX 780 is more powerful than the graphics power of the two consoles, it still may not be able to keep up with them since PC games can't be optimized like a console game. You most certainly will be able to run the next gen games, but who can say what kind of graphics settings you will be able to run them at.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 12:25:48 PM

As of right now a 780 is faster. In the future, devs will likely reach a level of power similar to it.
June 12, 2013 2:45:10 PM

bluejayek said:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps...

rvieaujr, I believe you got the two consoles backwards. PS4 will have the better graphics, 7870 equivilent, and XBOX One (not 720) will have a 7790ish.

Your two 7770's will likely be superior to the XBOX's graphics, but may be just barely keeping up with the single 7870 in the PS4.

Upgrading to a 780 will certainly blow either out of the water.

However, I would really recomend you wait until the games you want to play are out. Then, check if you can play them on the desired settings with what you have. If you can't, upgrade then.

Waiting is always better, since hardware always just gets cheaper and faster (Barring some sort of huge temporary sale, or some other reason it must be bought now).

OK Thanks for the info I think I will wait a while and buy the 780gtx
June 12, 2013 2:50:47 PM

Turtleshotz said:
Even thought the Xbox One and PS4 have less impressive specs than a PC they still can outperform one just based on the fact that developers can optimize their games for the console, since they know exactly what kind of hardware is going to be running the game. So, even though your GTX 780 is more powerful than the graphics power of the two consoles, it still may not be able to keep up with them since PC games can't be optimized like a console game. You most certainly will be able to run the next gen games, but who can say what kind of graphics settings you will be able to run them at.

Wtf are you talking about? Are you confused or what?

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 3:34:39 PM

SubinP said:
Turtleshotz said:

Wtf are you talking about? Are you confused or what?

Hes right. Take a look at the 360 specs, totally laughable, but look what it can do. If you built a PC to the same specs as a 360 you'd be lucky to run Minesweeper.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 4:26:24 PM

a computer built to an xbox 360...yes, but who has that? everyone has way more power than that. So I think you're high if you think that an xbox one will outperform a PC with a GTX 780
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 4:37:10 PM

japps2 said:
a computer built to an xbox 360...yes, but who has that? everyone has way more power than that. So I think you're high if you think that an xbox one will outperform a PC with a GTX 780

Not right now, but in a few years time, its inevitable. Look at the shit that came out at the PS3 and 360 launch, they look absolutely dreadful but pushed what the hardware could do. You are mad if you think they are completely frozen in terms of progression of their power.
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2013 4:49:15 PM

in 2005 when the 360 came out I had a Nvidia 6800 ultra GPU...the Ati Xenos the xbox uses which is similar in hardware to a Radeon X1900 ...so it was comparable to the 6800 at that time. So if anything your argument proves that they were just behind in their programming in 2005 and needed to catch up.

it will be interesting to see the difference the 8GB of ram makes though.
July 20, 2013 6:43:15 PM

cookybiscuit said:
japps2 said:

Not right now, but in a few years time, its inevitable. Look at the shit that came out at the PS3 and 360 launch, they look absolutely dreadful but pushed what the hardware could do. You are mad if you think they are completely frozen in terms of progression of their power.

You've been console brainwashed. You can't make a system that's half as weak as a 780 run like a 780. It's a simple hardware WALL. Perhaps you can make it run a little closer than just halfway to the 780 due to just developing from it, but you can't just bring a knife to a gun fight.

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2013 7:18:10 PM

SubinP said:

You've been console brainwashed. You can't make a system that's half as weak as a 780 run like a 780. It's a simple hardware WALL. Perhaps you can make it run a little closer than just halfway to the 780 due to just developing from it, but you can't just bring a knife to a gun fight.

It's not up for debate, console games are far better optimized than PC games. You have been PC brainwashed. In 3 years time, the PC equivalent to a PS4/XBONE will be capable of far less in terms of gaming performance.
September 29, 2013 7:16:14 PM

japps2 said:

I'd tend to agree Consoles generally out Perform PC's based purely on Spec's.
!