Upgrading a Gaming PC - What is the most efficient purchase?

vezbian

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Hello everyone,

I was curious if any of the experts here could lend some advice, I haven't followed hardware in a long while and I would like to make the best choice.

I built a gaming PC 5 years ago with the following specifications:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.1ghz

Ram: 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Video Card: Nvidia 9800 GTX

HD: 700GB 7200RPM

Motherboard: Nvidia (Made by Asus) LGA 775 780i SLI ATX. The exact Model is Nvidia 132-CK-NF78

I haven't upgraded in so long because I game only casually and I haven't had the need to keep my hardware top-notch (as I used to).

I would like to upgrade now, ideally the RAM and Video card only, but I am wondering if that would be my best option. It may be better to buy a new PC entirely, but I am only interested in upgrading to play a new PC game (Company of Heroes 2) more efficiently (The game already runs satisfactory, but I'd like more speed). So a new system wouldn't be practical.

I know the motherboard is the key to this, because certain components need to have connectivity and I am not sure what this motherboard could potentially have.

Any advice would be most welcome, Thank You for your time.

-Mikey

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Cost-wise, it would be best to upgrade the graphic card, Add RAM, and faster processor. In that order for gaming.
Are you sure the board isn't an EVGA, not Nvidia? It should take almost any Core 2 Quad processor if you can still find one. Some of the later C2Qs may take a BIOS update, though to be recognized.
I would start with the card...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
...and 8GB of Memory.
Try to buy your RAM in matched pairs, though. Dual channel is touchy about timings matching exactly.
And what is the make/model of the PSU?