Potential 7870 Buyer; Better Options for Price?

TwoBits

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello, I have been researching GPUs for the interests of running a single gaming monitor setup that can handle max settings on most games at or above 30fps.
At this point I believe I have settled on the AMD 7870 GHz Edition (Manufacturer unknown). Price Range is around 150-250. Only want 6xx/7xxx generations. Obviously more money will get me generally a better GPU, I am looking for best card for the pricing along the above guidelines (Max @ 30fps).

Two Questions:

1. Should I be worried about the reports of black screens around 15 minutes into gaming for ~5% of 7870s? Or better yet, is there a fix?
2. Am I flawed in thinking the 7870 is best for the price?

Additional Information/Questions:

I may at some point buy a second monitor but this would not be for gaming i.e. Teamspeak, browsing... all while in-game. Does that affect anything?
I may not purchase any GPU for a couple months should I be considering price drops for 670/79xx?

Just for reference:
AMD FX-8150 at 3.6GHz
ASUS M5A97 MOBO
2x8GB 1600 GSkill RAM

TwoBits

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Would you say the 660Ti is worth the jump in price?
For example settling on the 660Ti I would soon find that 7950 is just a bit more causing a continuous loop of paying just a bit more for a bit more performance. So assuming the price is flexible my main goal is to get the best deal. So if theoretically GPU "A" gave me a 15% performance increase with only a 7-8% increase in price over GPU "B" then I would get GPU "A".