Should I overclock my first ever PC that I'm building?

chiefscml

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I am planning on getting an i5-3570k CPU and an ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard, but I've been told that the main reason people buy that motherboard is for overclocking. I've never built a computer before, and I don't know the risk vs. reward of overclocking. Should I do it for my first time, or is it too risky? If I shouldn't do it, should I get a different motherboard? (maybe one that's a better price for same performance idk) And lastly, if I shouldn't do it, should I get the i5-3570 instead of the i5-3570k? Thanks in advance!

ihog

Distinguished
Get the i5 3570K and a Z77 board, see if your performance is up to scratch, and if not, then get an aftermarket cooler and overclock. In the future, overclocking will help put off upgrading. Also, make sure you also get a good graphics card, because that will be the deciding factor in most games.

chiefscml

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks! How is the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card for the graphics card? I'm on a $1000 (give or take) budget for the entire PC, by the way. OH, and I am going to get an aftermarket cooler as well. It's a Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler. Thank you again for your help. :)