First build, lots of problems

rjmealey

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
My wife and I decided to build our first computer and have quickly become in over our heads. I'll start with our build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2
mobo: Asus P8z77-V
memory: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660
Power Supply: SeaSonic512II
Optical Drive: LG UH12N529 Blu-ray

The problems:
Multiple BSOD a day;
POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA 0x000000de
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a
SERVICE_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM 0x00000024
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA 0x00000050

NTOSKRNL.EXE seems to be the root of the BSOD in all of these.

Windows update often fails to properly download and install updates, often failing when trying to update .net framework

Can't install newest nvidia driver, skips set-up and automatically goes to can't install page. Tried Manually updating driver through Device Manager but fails to install saying "The required line was not found in the INF"

In Device manager there is an unknown device that cannot be detected and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

What I've tried so far:
Memtest with no errors found, dskchk with no errors found, reinstall of windows with same problems presented.

My only other limitation, other than inexperience, is that we have a mobile hotspot for internet, so my ability to download drivers and tools is limited thanks to a data cap.

I really hope someone out there is able to help us find a solution or path to success. Otherwise I'll just bite the bullet and take it to an expert and weep as my wallet bleeds.

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this and double plus thanks for all help.

PS. Currently in safe mode with no problems

rjmealey,

I'm far from an expert diagnostician, but my answer might prompt someone to answer who knows what they're doing.

1> My first thought is a memory compatibility problem, but you verified the function with memtest. Is the model number of the memory you used on this list? >

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO/P8Z77-V-PRO_QVL.pdf

> but you might still try taking out one memory module at a time and see if it works just to eliminate those possibilities.

2 > The second wild guess is to update to the latest BIOS,

3 > See if the BIOS controls some feature like Thunderbolt not present in your version of Windows 7 that needs configuration or disabling. Check also if you need to disable integrated graphics.

4> The fact that it will run in safe mode means that there may some driver conflict. You might check to see if there is more than one GPU driver present. To eliminate that possibility, in Safe Mode, uninstall the NVIDIA driver and/or select "clean install" when re-installing.

Sorry you're having this trouble- lets hope it's the one secret button. There's always some obscure thing called "DX execute GH page link DLL R8 mode" that has to be checked "G-sync Compatible Asynchronous Latency 2".

Cheers,

BambiBoom