Dual core Xeon 5260 - 2 processor temp difference

eagletwo2

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I have a HP Workstation XW8600 running windows 7 pro with two Intel Xeon 5260 dual core processors 3.33GHZ, 8gb ram and GTX 660 2gb graphics card, with multiple 1TB hard drives and three optical drives.

I have been upgrading this machine, and recently installed the second Intel Xeon 5260 processors 3.33GHZ, along with the stock heat sink; identical to the heat sink on the first processor. I am using Speed Fan to monitor temps.

I have found that the first (main) CPU runs 15f to 18f degrees hotter than the second CPU. Question is: is this normal? I originally thought the temp difference was attributed to the use of the new Arctic Silver thermal paste on the second CPU, but after cleaning the original chip (& heatsink) and applying the same paste, I only gained a 2f temp drop.

At idle the Cores run at:

Core 0: 100F
Core 1: 102F
Core 2: 84F
Core 3: 81F

When gaming, (Battlefield 3) core temps:

Core 0: 136F
Core 1: 138F
Core 2: 123F
Core 3: 124F

Is this normal? I have this machine pretty well maxed out, running a 1050W power supply with only a ram fan, exhaust fan, and fans on the heat sinks. No intake fan, would adding a intake fan bring down my temps?

Also note that the fans are set at 3/4 speed via BIOS, 100% speed is noticeable louder...so I try to keep the fan speed down to minimize the white noise.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Intake fan would help, also might check fan speeds on CPUs, might check thermal compound application on first CPU, but also keep in mind #1 CPU tend to get most of the load, so not unuasal for it to be a bit higher....can also look to see if there are load balancing options between the CPUs