Sign in with
Your question

GTX 650 Ti Boost vs 7850 both 2GB.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2013 7:15:07 PM

I am looking for a new card because I am still rocking a 9800GT from 2008. Still plays PS2,BF3 but anyway Which card would be better in the long run out of these 2?
GTX 650 Ti Boost http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
7850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am expecting to crossfire or SLI later this summer possibly and going to get a 3 monitor setup defiantly. So I know you need a minimum of 2GB vram but what I don't know and can't find is how a single card setup for both will perform versus the other one. I have a Athlon II X4 and dual monitor setup currently with 8GB of DDR3. What I am also concerned about it optimization in the future with stuff like the new battlefront 3 and battlefield being optimized for AMD and the new consoles using AMD. I also have a friend that has a 6870 on the newest beta drivers and has like 12fps on metro last light and I get 40 and I have a 9800gt so I am also concerned about the drivers and such. Using stuff like PhysX for planetside 2 and metro would be a nice bonus but not sure if that requires so much horsepower that it would make games unplayable on the boost and I think you can run physx off the CPU if you have a AMD card.

More about : gtx 650 boost 7850 2gb

a c 168 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 307 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 7:48:39 PM

Personally, I would choose the Nvidia card at this time. As far as I know, AMD is still having minor stutter issues with even single cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6857/amd-stuttering-issue...
CF is even worse. Nvidia isn't immune from the problem either, but is less affected by it.
Related resources
June 13, 2013 7:56:58 PM

Yea I know its a lot of questions :)  But I want to get the right card as I don't upgrade my gfx card much. So a boost would better then? Could it run surround without dying and giving me 12 fps? Aslo would PhyX kill it? If I turn on physx with my 9800gt I get like 10fps. My main concern like I said is the new games being optimized for AMD.
a c 168 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 307 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 8:00:05 PM

Surround? Like 3 x 1080p monitors?
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 147 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 8:02:00 PM

Initial review puts 650 Ti boost a bit ahead of 7850. For triple monitor gaming setup 2gb is the bare minimum to have. 3gb-4gb are much more recommended if you want to play along with triple monitor setup. Although as a single card both are not strong enough to handle 3 monitor gaming. As for cf/sli your cpu actually will hold you back to benefit from the raw power for such setup can provide. As for the physx stuff it is true most of it were handled by cpu but if you're going to use amd gpu you're going to miss gpu accelerated physx. Which means you in planet side 2 you will not be able to see some physx effect that were accelerated by gpu.

Also about next gen console being all amd. Some believe because of all next gen are being amd inside it will makes game perform much worse on nvidia. It might give certain advantage to amd for a certain period of time but then again it's not nvidia will not work with game developer anymore. Games like BF4 might be touted as amd optimized game but since the game was triple A title i believe nvidia will work closely with DICE as well. Just becxause the game was under amd gaming evolved it doesn't mean the game will perform worse for nvidia. Recent example was the latest tom raider series. With proper driver and game patch GTX680 was able to outperform 7970 back then.
June 13, 2013 8:14:06 PM

Yea IF I do go triple monitor I will probably go SLI/CFX and get a FX-6xxx. I didn't know if the boost had enough oomph to use GPU PhysX without giving me 15fps. I have seen youtube videos of BF3 running on a 3x1080p setup on high smoothly at 50 fps, single card 2gb edition. Thats one of the reasons I was asking cause I saw another video of the GTX and it sucked utterly at surround. Yea I have seen the boost reviews were it puts it ahead of the 7850 slightly but then I saw a newer review and they used a 7790 in comparison with the latest drivers and the 7790 was a whooping 3 fps less and when it launched it was incredibly low in comparison so apparently AMD's drivers have improved some.
a c 171 À AMD
a c 439 Î Nvidia
a c 646 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 8:29:16 PM

A pair of Boosts in SLI will be on par with a GTX 770. Even a single 770 will need to reduce settings a bit in some of the more demanding games on a multi-monitor system. I can't emphasize more that Crossfire is severely broken at this time and should not be a consideration at all.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Ratin...

Generally PhysX is not going to have a game-breaking impact on FPS. It's all a part of the process of tweaking your settings, but certainly it's always better to have the option available then not at all. PhysX on the CPU kills FPS, and is really not a viable option. Certainly it's not a substitute for the real thing.

In terms of AMD providing the parts for next-gen consoles, that will not have an impact on PC gaming as much as one might think. First, the hardware that AMD is providing is not exactly the same as the hardware they make for PC's. They are two different systems, consoles and PC's, and AMD is certainly not supplying consoles with full-on 7900 series GCN GPUs. Second, Nvidia outsells AMD by almost 3 to 1. The thought that PC games will be optimized for those in the minority is absurd. In fact, there is every reason to believe that by focusing on consoles, AMD's competitiveness in the PC arena will suffer even more. Third, even with those games currently in the AMD Never Settle development program, they still run really well and often even better on an Nvidia card. Check that review linked above and you will see that Nvidia cards do very well in Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, etc.
June 13, 2013 8:39:49 PM

So if I get a single GTX 650 Ti now it should be good then. But probably not for triple monitor until I SLI them.
a c 171 À AMD
a c 439 Î Nvidia
a c 646 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 8:45:48 PM

cindylo said:
So if I get a single GTX 650 Ti now it should be good then. But probably not for triple monitor until I SLI them.

Correct. Make sure your motherboard supports SLI.
a c 168 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 307 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 8:49:32 PM

But 2 x 650ti's will be prone to micro-stutter. If you mean 650ti Boosts instead, then maybe they will be OK. I don't know. My 2 x 660's seem immune from M-S so far. And the Boost is not far behind the 660.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 147 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 9:02:09 PM

clutchc said:
But 2 x 650ti's will be prone to micro-stutter. If you mean 650ti Boosts instead, then maybe they will be OK. I don't know. My 2 x 660's seem immune from M-S so far. And the Boost is not far behind the 660.

Micro stutter was a common problem for multi gpu setup. With 600 series nvidia introducing frame metering that suppose to deal with micro stuttering and frame consistencies. Amd suppose to develop their own solution that they promised to deliver around june/july this year (the proto type driver was supplied to the reviewer when amd launch reference 7990)
June 13, 2013 9:24:28 PM

yea the boosts are like a whooping 10-15 fps behind the 660's. You OC that much. Might just jump to a 660 since they are a whooping 20$ more http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
I fI do get one it will either be the boost or the 660 NOT the normal Ti or 650 as they are not as good as the 7850.
a c 168 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
a c 307 U Graphics card
June 13, 2013 9:29:29 PM

17seconds said:
Do NOT pass up on this deal:
Asus DirectCU GTX 660 OC w/free copy of Metro Last Light, $169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

renz496 said:
clutchc said:

Micro stutter was a common problem for multi gpu setup. With 600 series nvidia introducing frame metering that suppose to deal with micro stuttering and frame consistencies. Amd suppose to develop their own solution that they promised to deliver around june/july this year (the proto type driver was supplied to the reviewer when amd launch reference 7990)

Glad to hear that. I haven't been following the issue as of late. But AMD has been promising now for quite awhile. Hope you're right. I'd like to have some options other than Nvidia for dual cards.
!