Optical to Laser Mouse?

kokofi3

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So I already have the Macally QBall. However the optics are going bad on it. And this is (as you know) a really nice trackball mouse. So I would like to know if I could swap out the guts of a laser mouse and put it into the QBall. This would allow me to keep the ergonomically feel, and also get the sensitivity of a laser mouse am I right and is this possible?

kokofi3

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I already have this one that is going bad, I have some (not advanced but moderate) experience with electronics and hardware modifications, I am however new to the internals of a mouse and am wondering if the two are similar enough to where if I were to get a 5 button mouse similar to the QBall could I swap out all of the inside parts. As most people know the QBall is second to almost non when speaking of any fluent trackball mouse. The idea is to add to it the speed and accuracy of a laser mouse. I'm looking to see if the guts can be traded so not necessarily JUST the sensor, that would be way to complicated, but perhaps the whole body?
Really think more of swapping the bodies not the parts.
So can anyone tell me if this is something do-able? And if so if there are any resources out there to aid in this? Like a laser trackball similar to the QBall?

X79

Honorable
I literally have no idea, but I found this, which might perhaps provide you with some ideas

or whatnot:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/mousemod/