Asus Sabertooth Z87 not seeing HD6950s

Long time reader, first time poster. Not my first build, but haven't done a build since my i7 920.

I decided to update my motherboard to the new Sabertooth Z87 and get a new Haswell 4770k. I put my two XFX HD6950 2GB video cards in and I can't seem to find them anywhere in the bios or in device manager. If I unplug the power I get red led lights on the cards. Boots fine with onboard memory. Tried changing it from AUTO to PCIE for primary video. Tried all the different Gen1 Gen2 Gen3 settings.

Can't really try cards in different slots because they are watercooled. I have however tried them in another Sabertooth Z87 board and had the same exact problem. Still have it, but I have an RMA on it because I thought it was a bad board. Cards worked perfectly in my other board.

Any help would be great!
7 answers Last reply
More about asus sabertooth z87 hd6950s
  1. Since second board has the same issue, I would suspect the CPU.
    Same issue if installing single card?
  2. alexoiu said:
    Since second board has the same issue, I would suspect the CPU.
    Same issue if installing single card?

Tried each card as a single, same problem.

Would the CPU work fine and not be able to see PCI-E slots? I can boot the computer with the on board video just fine and everything seems to run properly. Updated the BIOS and Chipset to the latest. Tried everything again. Reset CMOS after updates and tried everything again. Still nothing :(
  3. I'm having the same problem with a Z87 Deluxe and two/one EVGA 570 GTX cards. When installed correctly my computer boots fine but I have to use the integrated GPU, I have tried 4 different cards in the system and I can't get any of them to actually work.
  4. One of my cards started to work at random, but the other one would never work. I decided to upgrade to a 7950 and didn't have any problems getting it to work before or after watercooling it. Going to put the card that wouldn't work back on air cooling and see if it will work. Will report back when I find out, but it wont be for a while (have to fix bent pins in my LGA1366 motherboard and that's not on the top of my list)
  5. Which UEFI version are you guys on. And are your cards using any special VBIOS?

-Raja
  6. FaerixStrae said:
    Long time reader, first time poster. Not my first build, but haven't done a build since my i7 920.

I decided to update my motherboard to the new Sabertooth Z87 and get a new Haswell 4770k. I put my two XFX HD6950 2GB video cards in and I can't seem to find them anywhere in the bios or in device manager. If I unplug the power I get red led lights on the cards. Boots fine with onboard memory. Tried changing it from AUTO to PCIE for primary video. Tried all the different Gen1 Gen2 Gen3 settings.

Can't really try cards in different slots because they are watercooled. I have however tried them in another Sabertooth Z87 board and had the same exact problem. Still have it, but I have an RMA on it because I thought it was a bad board. Cards worked perfectly in my other board.

Any help would be great!

Odd, I am having a very similar issue but differnt issue with nearly the same set up. I have an Asus Z87 Pro with an i7 4770k. I have an MSI HD 6950 and it works fine in my other boards. With this board it constantly is crashing and locking up. I noticed it happens a lot worse when I run 2 Corsair Force GT SSD's in RAID 0. Running on a single Samsung 840 Pro seems to happen less often but still at least once a day I get a hard freeze or the AMD video driver crashing. I moved the exact same card into my i5 box wich is just a tame P8B75-M/CSM with an i5 3470. In the i5 Box the board is ROCK SOLID.

In each instance its fresh installs of Windows 8. Raid or no Raid. It seems to always have some sort of issue. I had to revert to using the on board video for now. I dont play a lot of games. I use my system for compiling code so its not a show stopper. But to add insult to injury the drivers for the onboard video are jacked up too! See this thread here: https://communities.intel.com/message/197034. BUt I am sure is more of an intel driver issue. I hope.

Hoping Asus sees this and can come up with a BIOS update to fix this. I really dont want to spend cash on a new video card if I dont have to.

And to Asus, I am using the latest bios posted on the site with the latest drivers from all the MFG's.
  7. Asus released a new BIOS today and it seems to fix the stability issue! I got my 6950 running stable!

Z87-PRO BIOS 1205
    1.Improve system stability.
    2.Fix XMP button issue
    3.Revise help string for the German Language.
    2013/07/05
Ask a new question