CPU Temperatures normal for i5 4670k??

Bgmz9000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Hey guys, Just recently built my first computer. I used the hyper 212+ as my heatsink instead of the stock CPU fan. To reiterate, My CPU is the 4th gen intel i5 4670k processor.

At idle, temperatures are generally around 37-41 degrees, Under Load (Playing Crysis 3 on ultra and Battlefield 3 on Ultra) Max temp hit 74 degrees. Generally in the area of 70 degrees.

Are these temps good? bad? average for my heatsink?

Is there a way to control how fast the fan on my hyper 212+ spins???

8350rocks

Distinguished
Considering that "hasfail" is 15C hotter than IB at the same clocks...you should probably get a far more aggressive cooling solution. 4th gen Intel's require something more aggressive to keep temps down...you might want to look at something like the H100i. They just run way too hot. Ivy Bridge is a better CPU.

EDIT: You can download a controller program, but the 212+ should be running based on thermal profiles anyway...so you're likely running at maximum speed as it is. Air cooling won't get you much better than what you're seeing.

Bgmz9000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
That wasn't really my question, and actually as far as stress testing goes, the 4670k runs about 3 degrees cooler than the 3570k, not to mention its a faster processor than ivy bridge. So Haswell is the better CPU, no question about it. Regardless of your apparent "issues" with the haswell processors, My question was are those normal temperatures at idle and under load?

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
70 degrees under load during gaming is not harmful or dangerous by any means. Haswell can take up to 100 degrees celsius before it will begin to throttle the clockspeeds.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Guessing that you're sitting on it then? Should probably invest in a chair.

Bgmz9000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

You do understand that AMD Cpu's are cooler than intel Cpu's right? Intel Processors can withstand much higher temps than AMD chemps and even at idle will be hotter.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Intel has a higher thermal envelope and runs hotter because of the fact that they use a bulk wafer for their Tri-gate process.

Yes AMD is cooler...but, even if I were running an intel rig, I would still prefer to keep temps under 60C. That creates additional heat for your GPU/HDD/SSD/MB and all the other components in your case that don't like heat either.

:)

8350rocks

Distinguished
GPUs are completely different...a GPU is good up to about 80-90C...(though I prefer less, under extreme workloads, rendering particularly, it is what it is)

CPUs however...I wouldn't push past 60C.

Many Intel builds I have seen even OC'ed into the mid 4's will still run under 60C with good cooling. If you want less noise, run a good water cooler/evaporative cooler setup.

BTW, "limiting" temps, does not limit performance, it just means I build a system toward a certain thermal envelope. If you don't care about burning up your CPU that has a voided warranty the moment you OC it anyway...then that's your prerogative.

Yes, even unlocked "k" intel CPUs have a voided warranty when you OC them. AMD does this as well...overclocking is a caveat emptor allowance. Which basically means...at your own risk.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Your temps are somewhat higher than I would expect. If you want to compare with other folks you need to run something more standard like Prime95. You also need to say how you're measuring those temperatures.

FYI, I have a stock i5-4670K in a poorly-ventilated case in a hot room (32 degC), and Prime95 drives it to 75 deg C (hottest core) as read with Real Temp. I'm amazed the board does so well. Yours should be better, if you're just gaming.

Also, I agree with hizodge that there's no reason to be paranoid about occasional temperatures in the 70's. Or even being there a few hours a day, which is far more than most people will ever do. Telling folks they need "more aggressive cooling" so they can "stay in the 60's" will just waste their time and money. They'll end up with unnecessarily noisy, high-maintenance rigs. It's just e-macho.

Waughter

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
If I were you I would try cleaning off the old TIM and reapplying new TIM. What method did you use when you applied your TIM with your EVO? Also, what kind of TIM did you use? Usually when I see these posts it ends with the person having the issue simply needing to have a more even and more efficient application of TIM. Give it a shot. Could make the difference between 74c and 60c.

Bgmz9000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
So I ran Prime95 and monitoring my CPU temp with RealTemp, I saw a peak at 80c but after about a minute it was a solid 75. And while gaming it generally is around 47-55, at idle usually 35-38, If it is under load during a game it peaks at 63-64 usually, but during crisis, it peaked at 72. Is this standard? I used the pea method for the TIM, I did it correctly.

Waughter

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Your temps are not good at all. With even the stock cooler you shouldn't be hitting anything over 75. The fact that you're using an EVO and you're still getting over 60 is worrisome. Using the pea method is, I feel, a terrible way to put down TIM.

I would suggest first to clean it all off completely with quetips and alcohol. Then use the "Lap Method". It ensures a much better seat and better conductivity of heat.

Use a plastic bag on your finger and stretch the bag over your finger tip. Make sure you have a flat even spread over the entire processor. Now, before someone argues that the actual processor doesn't cover the entire processor plate, yeah I know. I have delidded before using the vice & wood block method. That's not the point. Spread it around the entire top and get a close to perfect spread. Thin is win. Don't over do the TIM.

After that is finished make sure you seat the EVO directly down on the processor. Make sure it is a tight fit with the screws so it is well snug against the processor.

Thermal spread can make the difference between 70c and 50c. Give it a shot and let us know how it ends up.

Good luck!!

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

That's because amd processors start to throttle over 70C. For Haswell you could run them to 95C without a problem.

Bgmz9000

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

Why are you saying this? It is an Intel Processor. From What I have read in multiple places is that Intel Processors run hotter and can handle higher temps than amd processors. If my TJ max is 100 degrees and my CPu is generally around 60 while under load, I don't see how this is worrisome. I don't even see how 70 degrees would be a problem.

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

What many people dont know is that Amd and intel place the temperature probes in very different spots. If you're getting 70C on an FX8350 it's more like 90-95C because of the placement of the sensor

8350rocks

Distinguished

AMD K8-K10s had a thermal limit of 70C. Meaning caused damage at 70C for any extended time span at all.

AMD FX Series have a hard thermal limit of 62C which will shutdown the PC if you exceed it. I couldn't tell you when it starts throttling as I have all C States disabled.

Waughter

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
No, that's not what I am saying. I am not at all saying that you are running at a dangerous level. What I am saying is that with that processor and that cooler you are running much hotter than you should be. I have a lot of experience with both and that is way out of the delta for that setup. So, I made the suggestion about reseating/reapplying TIM.

pentacka

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
To the very top comments^, 70 is in fact cold for the haswell, as it can achieve 100 and only begin to throttle because intel finally sorted that. So don't worry about that idiot who says you need a H100i because you would just throw money in the bin. Your temperatures are average so you don't have to worry about anything right now.

pentacka

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

8350rocks

Distinguished

With his cooling solution he still shouldn't see temps that high.

carnage017

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
intel cpus r better than amd, and amd is better than nvidia.....

now you r seeing high temps cause i play under 90 degree Fahrenheit room temps and i get 60-65 temps... use your warranty AND exchange that shit ASAP