Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temperatures normal for i5 4670k??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2013 11:02:33 PM

Hey guys, Just recently built my first computer. I used the hyper 212+ as my heatsink instead of the stock CPU fan. To reiterate, My CPU is the 4th gen intel i5 4670k processor.

At idle, temperatures are generally around 37-41 degrees, Under Load (Playing Crysis 3 on ultra and Battlefield 3 on Ultra) Max temp hit 74 degrees. Generally in the area of 70 degrees.

Are these temps good? bad? average for my heatsink?

Is there a way to control how fast the fan on my hyper 212+ spins???
a c 210 à CPUs
June 13, 2013 11:08:26 PM

Considering that "hasfail" is 15C hotter than IB at the same clocks...you should probably get a far more aggressive cooling solution. 4th gen Intel's require something more aggressive to keep temps down...you might want to look at something like the H100i. They just run way too hot. Ivy Bridge is a better CPU.

EDIT: You can download a controller program, but the 212+ should be running based on thermal profiles anyway...so you're likely running at maximum speed as it is. Air cooling won't get you much better than what you're seeing.
June 13, 2013 11:13:49 PM

That wasn't really my question, and actually as far as stress testing goes, the 4670k runs about 3 degrees cooler than the 3570k, not to mention its a faster processor than ivy bridge. So Haswell is the better CPU, no question about it. Regardless of your apparent "issues" with the haswell processors, My question was are those normal temperatures at idle and under load?
Related resources
a c 210 à CPUs
June 15, 2013 8:40:56 AM

Actually...that was your question...

You need more aggressive cooling. Those temps are high.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-...

At load, the 3570k draws 7 watts less power at stock clocks, for a cinebench score improvement of 0.09.

Additionally, I can't find any information showing that the 4670k runs at lower temps at stock speeds.
June 15, 2013 8:45:24 AM

70 degrees under load during gaming is not harmful or dangerous by any means. Haswell can take up to 100 degrees celsius before it will begin to throttle the clockspeeds.
a c 210 à CPUs
June 15, 2013 9:01:20 AM

I keep my CPU under 60C for anything and everything...higher than that is HOT!
June 15, 2013 9:05:41 AM

8350rocks said:

Guessing that you're sitting on it then? Should probably invest in a chair.
a c 210 à CPUs
June 15, 2013 10:09:56 AM

No...I am running a Hyper 212 EVO, and my temps never break 56C on a FX8350.
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2013 12:29:28 PM

8350rocks said:
No...I am running a Hyper 212 EVO, and my temps never break 56C on a FX8350.

Okay? Haswell can withstand higher temps.
June 16, 2013 6:43:30 PM

8350rocks said:

You do understand that AMD Cpu's are cooler than intel Cpu's right? Intel Processors can withstand much higher temps than AMD chemps and even at idle will be hotter.
a c 210 à CPUs
June 17, 2013 6:42:39 AM

Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

You do understand that AMD Cpu's are cooler than intel Cpu's right? Intel Processors can withstand much higher temps than AMD chemps and even at idle will be hotter.

Intel has a higher thermal envelope and runs hotter because of the fact that they use a bulk wafer for their Tri-gate process.

Yes AMD is cooler...but, even if I were running an intel rig, I would still prefer to keep temps under 60C. That creates additional heat for your GPU/HDD/SSD/MB and all the other components in your case that don't like heat either.

:) 
a c 210 à CPUs
June 17, 2013 9:07:44 AM

GPUs are completely different...a GPU is good up to about 80-90C...(though I prefer less, under extreme workloads, rendering particularly, it is what it is)

CPUs however...I wouldn't push past 60C.

Many Intel builds I have seen even OC'ed into the mid 4's will still run under 60C with good cooling. If you want less noise, run a good water cooler/evaporative cooler setup.

BTW, "limiting" temps, does not limit performance, it just means I build a system toward a certain thermal envelope. If you don't care about burning up your CPU that has a voided warranty the moment you OC it anyway...then that's your prerogative.

Yes, even unlocked "k" intel CPUs have a voided warranty when you OC them. AMD does this as well...overclocking is a caveat emptor allowance. Which basically means...at your own risk.
June 19, 2013 2:27:23 PM

Your temps are somewhat higher than I would expect. If you want to compare with other folks you need to run something more standard like Prime95. You also need to say how you're measuring those temperatures.

FYI, I have a stock i5-4670K in a poorly-ventilated case in a hot room (32 degC), and Prime95 drives it to 75 deg C (hottest core) as read with Real Temp. I'm amazed the board does so well. Yours should be better, if you're just gaming.

Also, I agree with hizodge that there's no reason to be paranoid about occasional temperatures in the 70's. Or even being there a few hours a day, which is far more than most people will ever do. Telling folks they need "more aggressive cooling" so they can "stay in the 60's" will just waste their time and money. They'll end up with unnecessarily noisy, high-maintenance rigs. It's just e-macho.
June 20, 2013 4:01:00 AM

If I were you I would try cleaning off the old TIM and reapplying new TIM. What method did you use when you applied your TIM with your EVO? Also, what kind of TIM did you use? Usually when I see these posts it ends with the person having the issue simply needing to have a more even and more efficient application of TIM. Give it a shot. Could make the difference between 74c and 60c.
June 24, 2013 10:42:43 PM

So I ran Prime95 and monitoring my CPU temp with RealTemp, I saw a peak at 80c but after about a minute it was a solid 75. And while gaming it generally is around 47-55, at idle usually 35-38, If it is under load during a game it peaks at 63-64 usually, but during crisis, it peaked at 72. Is this standard? I used the pea method for the TIM, I did it correctly.
June 25, 2013 1:15:19 PM

Your temps are not good at all. With even the stock cooler you shouldn't be hitting anything over 75. The fact that you're using an EVO and you're still getting over 60 is worrisome. Using the pea method is, I feel, a terrible way to put down TIM.

I would suggest first to clean it all off completely with quetips and alcohol. Then use the "Lap Method". It ensures a much better seat and better conductivity of heat.

Use a plastic bag on your finger and stretch the bag over your finger tip. Make sure you have a flat even spread over the entire processor. Now, before someone argues that the actual processor doesn't cover the entire processor plate, yeah I know. I have delidded before using the vice & wood block method. That's not the point. Spread it around the entire top and get a close to perfect spread. Thin is win. Don't over do the TIM.

After that is finished make sure you seat the EVO directly down on the processor. Make sure it is a tight fit with the screws so it is well snug against the processor.

Thermal spread can make the difference between 70c and 50c. Give it a shot and let us know how it ends up.

Good luck!!
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2013 1:22:21 PM

8350rocks said:

That's because amd processors start to throttle over 70C. For Haswell you could run them to 95C without a problem.
June 25, 2013 2:28:06 PM

Waughter said:
Your temps are not good at all. With even the stock cooler you shouldn't be hitting anything over 75. The fact that you're using an EVO and you're still getting over 60 is worrisome.

Why are you saying this? It is an Intel Processor. From What I have read in multiple places is that Intel Processors run hotter and can handle higher temps than amd processors. If my TJ max is 100 degrees and my CPu is generally around 60 while under load, I don't see how this is worrisome. I don't even see how 70 degrees would be a problem.
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2013 3:27:47 PM

Bgmz9000 said:
Waughter said:
Your temps are not good at all. With even the stock cooler you shouldn't be hitting anything over 75. The fact that you're using an EVO and you're still getting over 60 is worrisome.

Why are you saying this? It is an Intel Processor. From What I have read in multiple places is that Intel Processors run hotter and can handle higher temps than amd processors. If my TJ max is 100 degrees and my CPu is generally around 60 while under load, I don't see how this is worrisome. I don't even see how 70 degrees would be a problem.

What many people dont know is that Amd and intel place the temperature probes in very different spots. If you're getting 70C on an FX8350 it's more like 90-95C because of the placement of the sensor
a c 210 à CPUs
June 25, 2013 9:44:00 PM

Intel God said:
8350rocks said:

That's because amd processors start to throttle over 70C. For Haswell you could run them to 95C without a problem.

AMD K8-K10s had a thermal limit of 70C. Meaning caused damage at 70C for any extended time span at all.

AMD FX Series have a hard thermal limit of 62C which will shutdown the PC if you exceed it. I couldn't tell you when it starts throttling as I have all C States disabled.
June 26, 2013 5:11:11 AM

No, that's not what I am saying. I am not at all saying that you are running at a dangerous level. What I am saying is that with that processor and that cooler you are running much hotter than you should be. I have a lot of experience with both and that is way out of the delta for that setup. So, I made the suggestion about reseating/reapplying TIM.
June 26, 2013 1:28:40 PM

To the very top comments^, 70 is in fact cold for the haswell, as it can achieve 100 and only begin to throttle because intel finally sorted that. So don't worry about that idiot who says you need a H100i because you would just throw money in the bin. Your temperatures are average so you don't have to worry about anything right now.
June 26, 2013 1:32:28 PM

10986784,0,1280575 said:
GPUs are completely different...a GPU is good up to about 80-90C...(though I prefer less, under extreme workloads, rendering particularly, it is what it is)

Did you do your homework recently? Haswell doesn't throttle untill around 95-100, so having it above 60 is normal, especially when having a heavy workload like rendering or playing heavy required games = crysis 3 metro 2033
a c 210 à CPUs
June 26, 2013 2:03:19 PM

pentacka said:
8350rocks said:

Did you do your homework recently? Haswell doesn't throttle untill around 95-100, so having it above 60 is normal, especially when having a heavy workload like rendering or playing heavy required games = crysis 3 metro 2033

With his cooling solution he still shouldn't see temps that high.
June 26, 2013 11:02:17 PM

intel cpus r better than amd, and amd is better than nvidia.....

now you r seeing high temps cause i play under 90 degree Fahrenheit room temps and i get 60-65 temps... use your warranty AND exchange that shit ASAP
June 29, 2013 2:31:17 PM

Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

Intel CPU´s or much cooler than AMD CPU´s. my AMD fx 8320 runned at 90 degC and on a stock cooler and 80 on a aftermarket
a c 210 à CPUs
June 29, 2013 3:39:56 PM

fountainpen said:
Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

Intel CPU´s or much cooler than AMD CPU´s. my AMD fx 8320 runned at 90 degC and on a stock cooler and 80 on a aftermarket

That's not physically possible unless you disabled all the C-States in the BIOS and overclocked with a crappy aftermarket cooler.

Your core temp would shut down your PC at 62C. See the several threads discussing "Why does my PC shutdown @ 62C?". Even the stock cooler runs much cooler than 62C because AMD designed that architecture to run cooler than that.
June 30, 2013 1:17:36 AM

8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

That's not physically possible unless you disabled all the C-States in the BIOS and overclocked with a crappy aftermarket cooler.

Your core temp would shut down your PC at 62C. See the several threads discussing "Why does my PC shutdown @ 62C?". Even the stock cooler runs much cooler than 62C because AMD designed that architecture to run cooler than that.

well, it doesn´t it goes over 62 all the time and i didn´t overclocked, i used my warranty and got a new one, but no improvement
a c 210 à CPUs
June 30, 2013 9:41:10 AM

fountainpen said:
8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

well, it doesn´t it goes over 62 all the time and i didn´t overclocked, i used my warranty and got a new one, but no improvement

What MB do you have? If you're using a 95W TDP MB with a 125W chip, then your temps will be out of line.
June 30, 2013 10:05:32 AM

8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

What MB do you have? If you're using a 95W TDP MB with a 125W chip, then your temps will be out of line.

I have an M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard
a c 210 à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:17:40 AM

fountainpen said:
8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:
Bgmz9000 said:
8350rocks said:

I have an M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard

Aha! Ran into this same issue, another person had that motherboard and had the same problem. They went and bought a 990FX MB and the issue went away. That board is not designed for the 125W TDP CPUs.
June 30, 2013 10:29:40 AM

Aha! Ran into this same issue, another person had that motherboard and had the same problem. They went and bought a 990FX MB and the issue went away. That board is not designed for the 125W TDP CPUs.[/quotemsg]

OK, but the discription said it supports CPU´s of 140 W, but i got my money back and getting another one.
do you know if the ASUS B85M-G works well with a i5 4670k and a HD 7870 XT?
a c 210 à CPUs
June 30, 2013 1:16:35 PM

fountainpen said:

OK, but the discription said it supports CPU´s of 140 W, but i got my money back and getting another one.

Sure, if you don't overclock it will support them, also, the VRMs on that board are not stout enough for something like the 8350.

The B series motherboards don't support overclocking...if you intend to overclock you need a Z77 and 3570k. The only reason to go to 4670k is if you will never overclock.

Also, I don't see a reason to swap out your 8350. If you got a decent motherboard it would be fine. The Intel boards you'll need are much more expensive than the ones that work for that 8350 anyway.

EDIT: You realize the 4670k is $70 more expensive by itself right? Before you buy the more expensive motherboard you need to pair with it. If you're on a budget, it's much wiser to go AMD.
July 1, 2013 1:49:34 AM

8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:

Sure, if you don't overclock it will support them, also, the VRMs on that board are not stout enough for something like the 8350.

The B series motherboards don't support overclocking...if you intend to overclock you need a Z77 and 3570k. The only reason to go to 4670k is if you will never overclock.

Also, I don't see a reason to swap out your 8350. If you got a decent motherboard it would be fine. The Intel boards you'll need are much more expensive than the ones that work for that 8350 anyway.

EDIT: You realize the 4670k is $70 more expensive by itself right? Before you buy the more expensive motherboard you need to pair with it. If you're on a budget, it's much wiser to go AMD.

i let a company bould my computer and because of the temperature´s and stuff they now offering that configaration and they are paying the 70 euro´s extra, but if i won´t overclock, the mobo and cpu will work fine?

July 1, 2013 3:06:11 AM

So... I stopped reading half way through the thread when I saw all the amd vs intel stuff.
Il just say my experience. I also finished my build with MSI g45 z87 and 4670k. Command center (msi) and coretemp are showing 29-31c IDLE while in bios, it says the CPU temp is about 45-48c. Haven't ben stressing out my pc because of a bad PSU so I can't tell you the temps under load. Also, the CPU uses CM tx3 evo cooler with 1 92mm fan on it. Case has 1 x 140 in, 1 x 140 out and 1 x 120 out.
July 1, 2013 3:59:15 AM

theProbe said:
So... I stopped reading half way through the thread when I saw all the amd vs intel stuff.
Il just say my experience. I also finished my build with MSI g45 z87 and 4670k. Command center (msi) and coretemp are showing 29-31c IDLE while in bios, it says the CPU temp is about 45-48c. Haven't ben stressing out my pc because of a bad PSU so I can't tell you the temps under load. Also, the CPU uses CM tx3 evo cooler with 1 92mm fan on it. Case has 1 x 140 in, 1 x 140 out and 1 x 120 out.

the bios shows only the socket temperature, coretemp the cores. that´s always about 10-15 degC lower than the bios says

a c 210 à CPUs
July 1, 2013 5:56:31 AM

fountainpen said:
8350rocks said:
fountainpen said:

i let a company bould my computer and because of the temperature´s and stuff they now offering that configaration and they are paying the 70 euro´s extra, but if i won´t overclock, the mobo and cpu will work fine?

Sure, but I would have them build a better 8350 rig...have them put in a 970 series motherboard like a M5A97 R2.0...if you want to go Intel, I am not telling you that you'll be disappointed, it will work just fine. However, I would say give the AMD rig a chance.
July 2, 2013 11:55:56 AM

I have an overclocked i5 4670k running at 4.2Ghz. I also have the Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cooler with a second 120mm fan attached to it in a push/pull configuration. I ran a stress test that didn't push the temps above 70C. During gaming loads after 2 hours it was in the 50s consistently. I hope this gives you some comparison.

Before I overclocked it stayed in the 30s idle and maybe low 40s under load.
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 11:57:20 AM

Termite04 said:
I have an overclocked i5 4670k running at 4.2Ghz. I also have the Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cooler with a second 120mm fan attached to it in a push/pull configuration. I ran a stress test that didn't push the temps above 70C. During gaming loads after 2 hours it was in the 50s consistently. I hope this gives you some comparison.

Haswell doesnt get warm till you push 1.3v
a c 210 à CPUs
July 2, 2013 1:41:50 PM

Intel God said:
Termite04 said:

In your personal experience, with a delidded CPU and high end cooling...right?
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2013 7:36:25 AM

8350rocks said:
Intel God said:
Termite04 said:

In your personal experience, with a delidded CPU and high end cooling...right?

Delidded it doesn't get warm at 1.45v. On air with stock Tim 4.6 and 1.3v is when it would start hitting 88C benching

Sprig 72C is Tcase not tjmax

July 3, 2013 8:35:33 PM

Ohhh but no one knows the tjmax temp for desktop processors only notebook temps are released so its just a guessing game. I normally go by Tcase temp but I'm not as smart as these guys.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 3:43:15 AM

Sprigg said:
Ohhh but no one knows the tjmax temp for desktop processors only notebook temps are released so its just a guessing game.

We do know Target Tjunction, which is not technically the same as Tjunction max, but likely to be close enough not to matter. Back in the Core 2 days this was much more of point of debate (Intel released a few documents on the subject, although none were particularly useful, and some were wrong), but since Nehalem you can safely assume that most decent software will just read the Target Tjunction from the CPU and calculate the temperature based on that. If you are really pedantic and want to adjust for slope error and what have you, Real Temp will give you the flexibility to do that.

If you want to use Tcase, which is the official way to monitor temperatures (which doesn't mean it's the best), then just about any software will do. Even the cheesy stuff that comes with many motherboards will suffice.
July 4, 2013 7:24:56 PM

randomizer said:
Sprigg said:
Ohhh but no one knows the tjmax temp for desktop processors only notebook temps are released so its just a guessing game.

We do know Target Tjunction, which is not technically the same as Tjunction max, but likely to be close enough not to matter. Back in the Core 2 days this was much more of point of debate (Intel released a few documents on the subject, although none were particularly useful, and some were wrong), but since Nehalem you can safely assume that most decent software will just read the Target Tjunction from the CPU and calculate the temperature based on that. If you are really pedantic and want to adjust for slope error and what have you, Real Temp will give you the flexibility to do that.

If you want to use Tcase, which is the official way to monitor temperatures (which doesn't mean it's the best), then just about any software will do. Even the cheesy stuff that comes with many motherboards will suffice.

Cool, I learned something today. Thanks randomizer. I use Real temp GT to measure my temps and the TJ max always confused me until now.
July 5, 2013 12:25:04 PM

OP, I also have a 4670k cooled by a CM 212 and my temps max out at around 63c under Intel Burn Test maximum settings. Under Prime95 it is a degree or two cooler. My case is a HAF 932 though, which has better than average air flow.

Your temps are high - I have a few more questions. Are you running at stock 3.4 MHz, or is the turbo boost pushing you to 3.8 MHz? You can disable the turbo in your BIOS to lower your temps a bit if you don't need the OC.

Is the 212 oriented correctly? It should generally be pulling air from the front of the case and exhausting it out the back. If it is pulling air from below and exhausting out the top, you may be pulling the hot air rising from your GPU which is not good.

What case are you using? Some just have crappy air flow - google your case model to see if this could be the culprit.

How is your cable management? If you have a mess of cables blocking air flow it could easily jack your temps up. Run cables behind your backplate where possible, or zip tie them out of the way if not.

I used a thin vertical line of thermal compound rather than a dot (based on the position of the cores) but the best way to apply thermal compound is a subject of much debate and I seriously doubt that the dot method is causing your overheating issue. It is possible that you used too much or that you allowed some air bubbles to form. Check the other items I mentioned first, but if you still can't find a good reason for your temp problem you should probably try reapplying the thermal compound.

Hope this helps.
July 8, 2013 9:29:56 AM

My 212 EVO fans flow from front to back right out rear exhaust fan.
I always applied thermal paste by drawing a thin line across the processor and using a credit card to evenly distribute. However, the 212 EVO is almost impossible to install without it turning on the processor some.
My temps have dropped for some reason (I guess temps in my house are lower?). I now play games with temps in the 40's. V - 1.25V and 4.2GHz.
July 11, 2013 5:24:37 AM

Bgmz9000 said:
Hey guys, Just recently built my first computer. I used the hyper 212+ as my heatsink instead of the stock CPU fan. To reiterate, My CPU is the 4th gen intel i5 4670k processor.

At idle, temperatures are generally around 37-41 degrees, Under Load (Playing Crysis 3 on ultra and Battlefield 3 on Ultra) Max temp hit 74 degrees. Generally in the area of 70 degrees.

Are these temps good? bad? average for my heatsink?

Can you tell (with e.g. CPU Z) whats the VCore (voltage) while on load? Maybe its the mainboard giving it too much Voltage.. should not be above 1.2v when running stock speed.

July 13, 2013 1:08:09 AM

It is turbo boosting to 3.8 ghz, ill keep the turbo since my temps aren't anywhere near dangerous. Yes it is oriented correctly. pulling through front and out the back of the case. case has great airflow. I havean intake in the front, the bottom and the side, and an outtake at the back and two on the top. Airflow is great and cable management is superb. My temps are 35 degrees idle (This is not the BIOS temp, this is CoreTemp info), and roughly around 60 while under load. Occasionally when playing crisis It pushes it up to 70. All this seems reasonable from what I hear? the only thing I can think of Is that my desktop sits in a desk. Like an opening in the desk about 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall th ats closed at the back and only open in the front. Like a little cutout for a computer and the air inside that opening does get pretty hot. which is maybe why my temps are a bit higher than normal. But nevertheless I think everything is pretty normal temps?
July 13, 2013 6:55:24 AM

i got it, its around 30 on idle and around 45-55 on full load, use a hyper 412s
!