Is my mobo dead?

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
i unpluged the monitor (to swap to tv) as i did this the computer shut down, it will now not turn on or spin any fans etc, i have tried "jumping" my PSU (green and black wire) and that will spin up the fans and lights in my computer, my mobo usually lights up some buttons on the mobo when connected to the PSU but it doesnt now, i am rather worried that it would just do that for no reason but my mobo AND my PSU have been acting strange, my PSU has lost one molex pin (will not put power to it) but this was working for about 4-5months like this and the mobo has been jumping up and down with "heat" (the computer is very cool, liquid cooled etc) but the display kept saying that the mobo was jumping up and down from 40 to sometimes over 100 degrees (but didnt stay there for more than a few secconds before RAPIDLY returning down to 40) the GPU is new (only bought about 2 weeks ago) and i have tried disconnecting everything from the mobo to get it to spin up but no life at all is coming from it, could it be my CPU? PSU now broken and just supplying small amounts of power, not enough to run the board but enough to run lights and fans? or could it be that the mobo has just randomly died?

I7 950
ASRock x58 extreme3 True 333
Corsair Vengance 16gb ram (2x8gb)
GTX 680 2gb
Soundblaster Xi-fi SB0460
1tb WD HDD
Coolermaster GX750w psu
Swiftech watercooling kit
Coolermaster HAF case

I7 950 was overclocked for about a week but then reverted back to the stock settings about 4months ago.

I would appreciate any help

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The MB temp sensor is usually close by or in the N. Bridge or S. Bridge. If it was overheating, it could very well have fried itself. You might try removing the chipset heat syncs and cleaning/reapplying thermal paste. And be sure the heat sync is securely fastened in place. You might get lucky.

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

yeah it was running at mid 30s, i have seen the ASRock 970 Extreme3/ AMD Bulldozer FX 8350 4.0Ghz, I am thinking if to move to that as the mobos for 1366 are very expensive now, my PC is used for gaming and would like to know if this would be a good upgrade? hopefully it will also fix the problem.

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

i have a old psu that i know works but its not very good and i wouldn't trust it, i can try mine in the other computer but its just a bog standard single core thing that has been sitting around for years, do you think that if my power supply was not being able to run at full power and was damaged it would give an accurate reading on the other comp, if it will then i will try it tomorrow. thanks for the help guys :)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It's sort of a step down, and not sure what your DRAM was freq wise, but if 1866 or better, it's a good possible that it will have to be downclocked, most all 8350s can handle 2x4GB of 1866, many can handle a 2x8GB st of 1866 above that - luck of the draw if you get a really strong 8350 - if changing base hardware I'd look to the 3570K/socket 1155 or even the 4670K/socket 1150....if budget falls in, a little lower priced is the 1150 with maybe a 2500K which is about a par w/ the 8350

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

hmm, im not 100% what my freq was but i am also looking at upgrading to 32gb with a high freq so mabe that isnt the best bet for me, do the 1155 out preform the 1366? also do they do the extreme style processors in that socket, im just curious for when I look at upgrading and potential of upgrading, is the 2011 socket a LOT better?

Edit: also are they I5's? is the I5 better than I7? id like to stick with I7 just for the Quad core + hyper-threading, is this available in I5's?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Overall, depends on the CPU, the Big Dogs right now and expensive are the X79/socket 2011 with an X CPU and quad channel. After that the new 1150 socket and Haswell CPUs has a bit of a performance edge over the 1155/IB and SB CPUs (plus with 1155 you are 'limited' to 32GB where socket 2011 can go up to 64 (in general (some only 32 and a couple or so 128) GB of DRAM)....If the money's there and you want to go high end, then 2011, if you'd be happy with a rig most people would drool over a 1150 or 1155 would make you happy....

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
thank you very much for the info it has helped a lot, i noticed that you know a lot about Mobos (you have a tag) and i know absolutly nothing about them, i would just like a really good mobo that will last a long time, do they make a big performance difference? do they get better as you go up in price? do you really need to spend a lot on one or can you skimp on your mobo and get a better CPU for your money or would it bottle neck? your a great help thank you for all your answers, my computer was just kind thrown together, and tbh it worked great..... til now

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
About the biggest thing in mobos, is that as price goes up, they are adding additional features, go to Newegg (good example and simply look at a paticular socket of mobo - like the 1150, narrow it down to a brand and then sort by price...you'll generally see as price goes up they are adding additional PCI-E slots, SATA connections, USB ports, Wifi, things like that....the mobos are pretty much all based on a single reference design...ie if you look at a lower end mobo, you'll see outlines of where additional PCI-E connectors can/could go

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah il be getting a new one the wage after next, i was thinking somthing around the 1000w mark? because im going to get another gtx680, what ones do you recommend? in terms of HIGH reliability, you guys are amazing on here, so helpful, il have a beast machine when im done with you guys :p also is there anything else you guys could recommend as a good upgrade for my system? (BTW i have B&O speakers so there is no room for upgrade on sound... except mabe a different sound card?)

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

I was thinking about getting the "Corsair Pro Series Gold AX1200 1200W" ot the "OCZ Technology ZX Series 1000W" are these any good? I was thinking to pay about £200 for my PSU, is this too small of an amount for a 1000w+

EDIT: mabe the "Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W" as it was on linus tech tips and it looked good

damiengreen

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

oh that is good, do you know if mobo's come with the screws that connect it to the case (not the ones on the front the ones on the back of the mobo, i think they are usually a gold colour?)

Also i went with Vengance ram as it was said in a review that it was the best make at the time, but now i keep seeing kingston hyper x advertised, are they now the best?

EDIT: on PSU is single rail good or is it better to have two+ because i keep seeing them say "single rail" so i assume that there is a duo rail?

Sorry for all the questions, you guys are just really helpful and you seem to know a lot, i can open a new thread if this is against rules to talk about other things other than mobo's in this category

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
think your talking about standoffs, some mobos maybe, generally that's something that comes with a case, can normally find them in a PC shop, Radio Shack, Fry's electronics, the Egg, etc

As far as DRAM to be honest, DRAM is DRAM as far as manufacturers go, each maker has sort of baseline sets, low end and high end, I use a number of brands at clients requests on builds and upgrades, but overall as a general brand name I suggest GSkill, and as a model line from GSkill their Tridents are the best...all GSkill DRAM I've used has had OCing headroom, and since I primarily build higher end systems I use a lot of sets of Tridents

Generally 1 rail is better but it depends on the situation.

RAM doesn't vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I am happy with what I am running which is Mushkin but any brand will do just as well.