I have two web servers behind a router behind a cable modem with 1 IP.

Ojai_Alan

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I am running one of the servers on my laptop at home because when I'm at home I can use it in power conserve mode and it still works fine, using far less energy than my desktop computer. But when I go out, and want to take my laptop with me, I have to fire up the desktop and manually reconfigure the router to the to the desktops IP. When I get home I have to do the same thing in reverse. This can be a real pain especially if I am on a hurry. Is there any way to do an "if this computer is not online, then direct traffic to this other ip" senario on the routers end? Or are there other solutions I can use? My Main IP is assigned by my ISP by cable modem so I have to use dyndns. I can't afford additional IP.

You only option would be something like dd-wrt if it has that option. I would suspect you would have to write a custom script.

I would just use another port for your web servers like say 81. Then you would just access the machine via that. It is a pain in some ways to have to enter the port on the web url but I supect it will be easier than scripting in a router.