XBOne VS. PS4 - Time to Set the Record Straight

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I have been out of the whole online console war scene for a long time now. I'm still an avid gamer and I still look into the comments section of articles every now and then just to see what interests other gamers these days but I have always refrained from putting in my 2 cents, mainly because it always ends up being quite venomous as I'm sure many people here have experienced. Life is just too short to get into an online argument with an imbecile. However, with the announcement of the XBOne (people who hate the "Xbone" designation, here's a way to solve your problem) and Sony's seemingly domination of gamers’ hearts, it's apparent that there are a lot of misconceptions of the next generation and also a lot of misplaced anger. I have come across a few voices of reason but it's clear that the majority of the people out there are misinformed. I would like to offer here my view on all of this next gen craziness. If anyone disagrees, feel free to add your replies but please for the love of all that's holy and beautiful, try to talk to me like you would if you met me on the street. That's all I ask.
Before I begin, I just want to clarify that I consider myself an "Xbox fanboy" so there WILL be some bias here. However, I haven't actually touched my 360 for almost two years now since I've given it to my brother before leaving home and the last time I was back home was around two years ago. Since then I've been gaming mainly on my PC with interludes between iOS and Android. The systems I have owned are as follows (in this order): SNES, PSone, Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, GBA, Xbox 360 and lastly the Wii. So I guess I'm not your typical fanboy but I have been defending the XBox since first reading about it back in 2000. Back then people were all, "Pentium III and Geforce 3? Why, that's just a PC! FAIL!" or "Xbox? More like matchbox/shoebox/...box!" They all thought the Xbox would fail but Microsoft persevered and it ended up being quite successful with a decent lineup of games. It also provided the launch pad for the Xbox 360 which was the console that took the crown away from the Playstation. With the next generation of consoles upon us, people have once again decided to use mockery to cover up their narrow-mindedness. Here is why they are wrong.

1. 24 hour Check-In:

I really couldn't quite understand the backlash over this. It was like I was back in the early 2000s or something. I'm willing to bet my left nut that the majority of the people visiting these pages already have some kind of broadband or are at least living in an area that can easily obtain one. For these people, this should be a complete non-issue and they are just complaining for the sake of it. Broadband availability is now extremely common, whether you are in the Americas, Europe, Australia and certain parts of Asia (and the parts in Asia that don’t have access to broadband are most likely pirating all their 360 games which is an issue that will be discussed later). I am sure that there are also many people living in rural areas who may have difficulties finding a stable connection. Just 5 years ago, I was living in a small village in the U.K for 2 years and for the whole first year, I could only get dial-up. But after that, ADSL was quite easy to obtain. For these people, it will of course be unfortunate but I am also sure that the technology will reach them sometime during the next generation's lifespan. Even in Australia, which has arguably one of the worst broadband networks out of all the developed nations is currently in the process of rolling out the NBN which should drastically improve internet speeds for city folks and elevate rural areas to an acceptable level.
Despite Microsoft trying to justify making the XBOne almost always online by saying the user will benefit from it (which I do believe is true, just look at your smartphone), let's face it, their main reason for implementing this was to fight piracy. Over the past few years, several high profile publishing and development studios have closed up. Piracy is a big problem for the gaming industry despite what some people believe. I personally know people who can easily afford some games, but because it's so easy to just download a copy off The Pirate Bay, they didn't end up paying for it. In the current generation of consoles, the 360 probably had it the worst. The first time I took a trip to China, I was shocked that you actually have to go out of your way to purchase a legitimate copy of a 360 game. This was partly because video game consoles are simply banned in China, but they have a huge import market so this is not a legitimate excuse (especially considering that PS3 owners in China had no problems shelliing out for a full priced game since they couldn't pirate until the last couple of years). This was of course because of the nature of the 360's disc format which is the DVD. It's not something that made pirates scratch their heads like the Blu-Ray did at the beginning. But Blu-Ray will no longer be able to defend against pirates in the next generation now that pirates have learnt how to pirate PS3 games and when the cost of Blu-Rays inevitably go down. Anti-piracy measures using online capabilities are the most effective solutions (anyone pirated a copy of SimCity yet?). Problems with the launch of games like Diablo III and SimCity is what REALLY makes people wary of this method and that's understandable. But Microsoft has far more servers than anyone else in the industry and given their success with Xbox Live since its launch on the original Xbox, I personally have faith that they won't screw up like the rest. Feel free to come back and point a finger in my face and laugh if it does happen.

2. Game Sharing:

There's been a lot of jokes made about the restrictions being placed on game sharing such as how someone can only borrow a physical game from you once and how you have to wait for someone to have been on your friends list for at least 30 days before being able to lend it to them. Regarding the former, I personally have never needed to borrow a game twice. If I loved it so much, I would buy it myself (again, this goes towards keeping publishers/developers alive). With the 30 days rule, I'm not sure why they're doing this but I don't see much of a problem. Most of my real-world friends will be on my friends list from the moment I buy the system so I'd only have to wait a month at the very beginning before I can lend them a game. If I make a new friend and add him onto my friends list, I cannot foresee any scenario which will require me to lend him a game within the first 30 days. My other "friends" on my list are only people I met on the net so I wouldn't send them my game so they can borrow it anyway.
What is cool about Microsoft's new approach to game licensing is the fact that you can now share your games with up to 10 family members digitally and they DON'T need to be blood related. They can access your games digitally from any Xbox One and play them as long as you have added these people into your family group. If Microsoft made one mistake here, it's that they didn't publicise this enough. This is a feature that I would use far more than the features that they are supposedly "restricting".

3. Used Games

Now I am not quite certain on this one but it seems to me that both Microsoft and Sony are using the same approach here, with just slightly different wording. Check out this interview at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mm3P4Ft-y4
At 3:59, Jack Tretton, President & CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America said that Sony will leave the DRM decisions up to the publishers. Unless I'm mistaken, this is in fact the exact same approach by Microsoft. Both Sony and MS will not use DRM on their first party titles but they said they will leave second hand game sales and DRM decisions up to the publishers. Sony simply said "WE WILL ALLOW USED GAMES". People took this to mean that the PS4 will not have any restrictions whatsoever and that Sony is a "company for the people" when in fact, they meant that THEY will not restrict it, but publishers can if they want to, which is actually no different to Microsoft’s policy. But again, I'm not a hundred percent sure on this since there are a lot of mixed messages from both Sony and Microsoft so if anyone knows something more, please share your thoughts.
Whatever the case may be, I think this following article is worth a read: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-57588359-10391702/why-xbox-ones-used-games-policy-doesnt-need-to-be-the-end-of-gaming-as-we-know-it/

4. Requiring Kinect:

I've read a lot of people making this out to be a bad thing, like how requiring Kinect for the XBOne to function somehow impedes on their human rights. It makes no sense especially when you consider than every XBOne comes with a Kinect. After you've set it up on your TV, I doubt you'd move it very often so it's really of no consequence. Then there are the people who are scared of the voice recognition feature and accusing Microsoft of spying on them, listening to their conversations when the console is off. Honestly, that's as ridiculous as accusing a company producing clappers of espionage. It shows a complete lack of understanding and baseless fear of the technology. Not to mention, the amount of experts out there who disassembles any new gadget's hardware internals and software coding means that if Microsoft decides to do anything unsavoury, we will know about it immediately, a risk that they simply cannot take.
Of course, then there are the people who are against Kinect on a fundamental level. In my opinion, these people are just extremely close minded. The original Kinect was a brilliant concept let down by immature technology and a lack of understanding by developers. Promises were not kept and expectations were not met. But the Kinect 2 will have the advantage of superior hardware as well as more experience from developers. I think there's a lot of potential here but we will have to wait and see.

5. Xbox Live VS. PSN Plus:

Well until recently, I would probably argue that the PSN is better value even though Xbox Live functions better. But with the PS4, in order to play online on the PSN, you will also need to pay for a Plus account which costs pretty much the same as Xbox Live. This takes away one of the biggest advantages the PSN has had over XBox Live since the beginning. Of course, PSN Plus members still had the added bonus of being able to access full versions of games at no added cost but even Microsoft is now implementing a similar feature on Xbox Live. Overall, given the similar features the two services offers, I'd say there's no point arguing about this anymore.

6. Microsoft Concentrating on Entertainment Rather than Games:

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions as demonstrated by E3. Microsoft is not taking anything away from their games division, they're just adding a richer entertainment environment on top. I don't see what's wrong with that. If you don't like it, you don't need to use it. It's funny how the same people complaining about the entertainment features are also complaining about how it's only going to be available in the US at the beginning. Well if you don't want it and you live outside of the US, shouldn't you be celebrating?
Now the exclusive games shown by Microsoft at E3 clearly shows that the XBOne is not any less of a games console than any system that have come before it or in the near future. I feel that the general consensus across the web towards this year’s E3 is that Microsoft had a much stronger games showing than Sony. Of course, then there are the people complaining about how even though Microsoft had a stronger line-up, they were mostly action games. These are the types of people who are masters of picking bones out of eggs. I bow down to them.

7. XBOne is not as Powerful as the PS4:

The main reason for this statement as far as I can tell is the fact that XBOne uses 8GB of DDR3 memory rather than the 8GB of DDR5 memory on the PS4 which is of course, much faster. But for those who are interested, check out: http://anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3
They explain in much detail how just because XBOne "only has DDR3" and not DDR5 like the PS4, they are using other methods to make up for it such as their use of embedded SRAM. The article explains it very well.

8. Price:

And finally, we have the price war. The price difference between the two consoles are the same across the different regions so I'm just going to talk about the U.S where the difference is $100. For that extra hundred, you get Kinect. The Playstation Eye is not included with the PS4 and costs around $60 making the PS4 + Eye around $460 which is still cheaper than the XBOne but I don't think it's enough to change anyone's mind. We don't know the specs of the Playstation Eye but most analysts believe that it will fall behind the Kinect. Whereas the Kinect was designed to pave the way for a whole new genre of gaming focused purely around motion control without controllers, to me the Playstation Eye will probably just enable novelty features like the way Sixaxis was half-baked into some games. To me, this is alarming because Sony is jeopardising the future of gaming by trying to undercut Microsoft here. They should've included the Playstation Eye because without it being compulsory, developers will not throw themselves behind it since not everyone will own it. This means only XBOne exclusives will have the possibility of taking full advantage of motion control since no one is going to design two completely different versions of one game, it's just not financially viable.

Final Words:

I tried my best to focus this blog primarily on the accusations people have made towards Microsoft and XBOne. I didn't want to bring Sony or the PS4 into it unless it was relevant. In my eyes, even though I'm mainly a PC gamer these days, I was extremely excited by the announcements made by both console makers at this past E3. Gaming will experience a rejuvenation like nothing we've seen in a long time and I believe both the XBOne and PS4 will be worthy of your money. I just felt that the way Sony went about things seemed to closely resemble a scheming politician. Microsoft clearly took a stand and were upfront (at least eventually) with their policies. Sony seemed to be upfront with clear bullet points but there were actually a lot of fine print underneath. Of course, if I misread anything, please point it out to me. I'm not interested in a heated argument though, I don't think that's necessary.

Thanks for reading!

hotwheels123456

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
i have a ps2 and xbox 360 i like them both i was going to get a next gen console but xbox ones 24hour check has put me of so i would go for ps4 more power. but im not going to buy a console im going for a gaming pc more expensive but more performance and i need a pc upgrade anyway i think most people will go for this option

JohnGamer

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Your post seems to boil down to 'people who don't like what MS is doing with the XBox One are luddites or are ignorant of what is best for them and simply need to be educated. I can assure you that is not the case, at least not for me. I have been an XBox fan from the first day, beta'd Live and have had a Gold account from the beginning. Up front I will say that I will not purchase the XBox One but will get my first PS with the PS4. Please, let me respond by bullet points...

1. 24 hour check in. In a perfect world this would be no problem but we don't live in Utopia. While there are people who still have unstable ISP I don't see that as much of a problem as with the military personnel who play video games a LOT when overseas and who have no internet at all. They are completely out of luck with the XBox One. They may not be a large demographic for MS but they are an important one and as a veteran myself I am sensitive to their needs. Furthermore, there is no reason to FORCE it onto consumers. We should be able to play offline if we do not wish to take advantage of what being online has to offer. Steam has an offline mode.

2, 3. Game sharing/ DRM. I don't keep used console games. I either sell them or trade them around with my friends. While I do have a Steam account and DL a good many games from Live, and I accept the limitations of digital distribution if I own a physical copy of the game (and I realize it is really just a license to use the game) I want to be able to do with it what I will. There are vast differences in how MS and Sony are handling DRM. The PS4 has no region lock as does XBox One. The 24 hour checkin (or 1 hour if you are on a friend's console) is, in essence DRM. Publishers will follow the console manufacturers' lead as far as DRM. Most of the world is locked out of the XBox One, check the DRM zone map, it is astonishing. MS says they will add more regions but why lock them out to begin with if you have to be online anyways? Sony has voiced support of unlimited trading of used games and people who want that will more likely purchase a PS4 and the game companies will be less likely to load their games with DRM (EA will most certainly charge fees but few other will, IMHO). MS is moving to lock games down hard and the publishers will follow suit. I'm not saying MS is wrong and Sony is right, I'm just saying there are two distinct business models and people will vote with their money which one they prefer.

4. Kinect. I don't like the Kinect. It doesn't make me close minded or fearful or anything of the sort. I simply don't like to interact with my console in that fashion. I will never use the thing so why force me to purchase it? Why not offer a non-Kinect XBox One for $100 less? Why should I have to purchase something I don't want in the first place and then hack the machine to disable it?

5. Live VS Plus. As stated above I have had a Live account from the very first. I'm willing to give it up for Plus but this issue lies squarely in the realm of 'whatever'.

6. Gaming VS entertainment box. XBox One has the advantage here and the features are very nice. Except that I'm not interested in them for the most part. The game mix of both consoles is strong and I don't think one can go wrong with either of them in this aspect.

7. Power. Whatever. They are both powerful machines and using the cloud makes them even more powerful (although MS has the advantage, I think). They will both render gorgeous games.

8. Price. Its a wash except that I am forced to purchase a device that I do not want and will not use.

Final words. The two companies have presented clear differences in business models and that is a good thing. But I don't like being forced to go in a direction not of my choosing, which is what MS is doing. Had Kinect and always online been optional there would not be this great hubris we now have. On top of that MS is treating unhappy gamers are if we are simpletons who need to be patted on the head and lead by the hand... I do not take to being condescended to.

To reiterate.... MS is FORCING people down a path and treating balkers like idiot step children. Incredibly, incredibly bad PR.

BTW, if you don't want a heated argument please refrain from insulting your audience, you sound like Major Nelson and right now that isn't a good thing.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I can see that I may have offended you but it was not my intention and I apologise. But please tell which comments of mine insulted you? I just reread what I wrote (I forgot how long it was!) and any real insults which I may have used didn't seem to target you. It's true, I genuinely look down on people who seem to fear Kinect due to some absurd sense of privacy infringement that's completely baseless. I also despised the drama queens who screamed about Microsoft betraying their core demographic by showing too many entertainment features and not enough games. The latter has been PROVEN wrong as demonstrated by their strong lineup during E3 and the former, well, it's just outright paranoia. Aside from these two points though, I just simply tried to outline the pros and cons of each point as objectively as I could.

Since you are a veteran, I can understand how you might feel about the military personnel not being able to enjoy their favourite past time. But as I have clearly stated, the requirement for the console to check-in every 24 hours is obviously a DRM feature used for combating piracy. This sort of thing can only work if it's made a requirement. Anti-piracy systems don't operate on the honour system. Of course there will be people left out twisting in the wind so for these people, the PS4 is clearly the best option. But I made a point to write this post because I believe that the majority of the people complaining about this doesn't belong to this minority and so should not be affected.

Regarding used games, you're argument seems unclear, at least to me. If you watched that video that I posted with Jack Tretton, he clearly states that publishers can do what they want when it comes to DRM/used games restrictions and trading on the PS4. This, unless I'm mistaken, is also Microsoft's stance. MS have said outright that their first party games will not charge a fee for used games but there is an option for publishers to do that if they wish. Did I misunderstanding anything here? I agree that publishers will follow the lead of the console makers but it seems that they would be following two exact same leads.
Most of the world is locked out of the XBox One, check the DRM zone map, it is astonishing. MS says they will add more regions but why lock them out to begin with if you have to be online anyways?
Okay I have to admit, this I never heard about before and I don't quite understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?
As for region lock, that has existed for almost as long as I can remember. I was stunned that Sony took it out and I applaud them for it since I have also hated it for as long as I can remember. However, I don't think that it warrants people yelling out, "XBone has region lock! MS is evil!" It simply means that in this regard, Microsoft is certainly a bit behind the times.

As for you not liking the Kinect, well, it's not my place to tell you what you like or don't like obviously. I also dislike the original Kinect but as I said earlier, the original Kinect was held back from a premature technology and a lack of genuine understanding from the developers which translated to a lack of decent support. But I believe in the possibility that this device can unlock if everything fell into place which is why I think it's a bit too soon to make a judgement. However, in order to give this thing even a chance at life, they had to make it compulsory. Add-on devices has an abysmal system-device ratio so any enterprising 3rd party developer would not even consider designing a game around it unless they knew every one of their target audience has one.

In the end, it's looking like the PS4 will sell a heck of a lot more than the XBOne unless Microsoft can conjure up a new strategy but I am also quite certain that piracy will be a much bigger issue for Sony just like it was for Microsoft this generation.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
7. You seem to be forgetting the GPU differences. I agree the RAM speed shouldn't make much of a difference (although it could be interesting to see how developers utilize higher system bandwidth, since the CPU also has access to GDDR5, something not even a top end PC currently has), but the 50 percent increase in compute units from the XB1 to the PS4 is huge.

The XB1's GPU has 12 compute units, putting it between an AMD 7770 (10 CUs) and an AMD 7790 (14 CUs).
The PS4's GPU has 18 compute units, putting it between an AMD 7850 (16 CUs) and an AMD 7870 (20 CUs).
A 7850, and a 7870, are quite a bit more powerful than the 7770 and 7790, respectively.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Yes you are right, my mistake.

Dude...
If you are a Microsoft Rep. i can understand, but really... everyone who cares to know, knows enought:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/cameroncrogers1995/2013/06/16/xbox-one-games-ran-on-desktop-pcs-during-e3

After all i read about the new Xbox One, the first thing that poped-up in my mind was "well, waht else to expect from Balmer".

They are trying to make children used to this new form of gaming so it is easy to control. I have no idea what idiot belived that this psycological approach of "sooner or later they will accept it and then we control them" would work and be a good idea.

Unless they forgot, the vast mayority of the people who has the MONEY, are old enought to see what they are doing.

The Picture reminded me of that 70 who with Kelsos famous "BURN!"

dragon199

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

friend you sound like a microsoft rep.

let me give you my perspective about your points

24 hour Check-In

suppose you are away on a trip or for some reason your net connection is not working what that means is you cannot even play games offline unless you seach for a location to check in to MS servers

and not all people who dont have a net connection pirate games check for retail discs in your nearest store

Game Sharing

i have never shared a xbox game with anyone so well i can not talk about in detail

Used Games

again i always purchase fresh copy of any game i like but still it offers as an excellent source of evaluation for any gamer
a worthy game is always bought by gamers

Requiring Kinect

motion control has always been a gimmick

it is true that kinect beats the ps move and will beat ps4 new motion controller still is far from being a gaming requirement

Xbox Live VS. PSN Plus

xbox live beats psn plus

now that psn is not free xbox live beats psn plus completely i agree

Microsoft Concentrating on Entertainment Rather than Games

maybe but if MS can deliver both no problem for me

XBOne is not as Powerful as the PS4

well sony and MS both said that even the previous gen was good enough for about 3 more years
also the specs of the xbox one will determine the quality of most games being the lesser machine
so no worries for xbox fans

Price

well price wise the xbox one does lose to the ps3 but if it does deliver performance wise you can easily forget about $100

conclusion

all the above points are actually worthless as only the exclusives will determine console sales

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Product A:
- Comes with unnecessary peripheral addon, and costs 100 dollars more as a result.
- Less Graphics Performance due to less GPU cores, and less memory bandwidth.
- Will have less exclusive games due to having significantly less development houses producing content.
- Is pushing restrictive DRM policies.

Product B:
+ Costs 100 dollars less.
+ Is the most powerful console on the consumer market.
+ Has the largest amount of first party content being produced for it vs. any other platform.
+ Platform of choice for indie developers, due to nearly no barrier to entry, and ability to self publish.
+ Is not pushing new restrictive DRM policies.

I'm sorry, but why is this a confusing decision exactly?

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
friend you sound like a microsoft rep.

Obviously there's no way I can prove to you that I'm not a MS rep, all I can tell you is that I'm not. Many years ago I wrote reviews for a third party Xbox site as a hobby but that's as far as it goes. But I don't even think that it's relevant since I believe I provided logical arguments and not just some generic, "drink the kool aid, it's good for you..." comment.

suppose you are away on a trip or for some reason your net connection is not working what that means is you cannot even play games offline unless you seach for a location to check in to MS servers

I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or what but my connection has never been out for more than 24 hours at any one of the roughly 15 apartments/houses that I've lived at, in the last 10 years. I think realistically speaking, this would happen very rarely unless you are living in rural areas or are in the middle of a natural disaster (at which point you probably should get out and help around instead of playing games). As for going on a trip, well if you're so desperate to play your console games when you're travelling and can't just settle for games on your smartphone or tablet, then go buy a PS4. No argument there. In my experience, I've never felt like I needed to bring my console with me on a trip and I've been travelling constantly for the last decade, not to mention it can be pretty darn heavy. If i'm staying at a hotel, I may not have access to a TV and if I do, I most likely will have a wi-fi connection. If I'm staying at a family member's place, I will most likely have access to wi-fi. Of course some people may not but as I've said earlier, I think they're a minority. If I'm staying at a cabin in the middle of a forest then you're right. I'm screwed. But I think I'll have plenty to keep me busy other than playing my console, otherwise why leave home? Of course, this is just me and I'm sure there are people who feel differently. But once again, I think these people are in the minority and shouldn't put other people off the XBOne just because of a limitation that they won't even notice anyway.

and not all people who dont have a net connection pirate games check for retail discs in your nearest store

I didn't say that everyone who doesn't have access to broadband are pirates, I was talking specifically about parts of Asia. Like I said, almost no one buys legitimate games in countries like China, India, Malaysia etc. Their pirate market is huge. These are also the kind of places which may not have widespread broadband availability. So if MS loses out on these markets, it won't make any difference since they were pirating anyway.

motion control has always been a gimmick

it is true that kinect beats the ps move and will beat ps4 new motion controller still is far from being a gaming requirement

I think for now, motion gaming is a gimmick but given how advanced the Kinect 2 will be and after having had time to get to know and come up with new ideas with the original kinect, I think developers will be producing vastly different experiences in the coming years. Since these consoles will probably be around for almost another decade, I think there's nothing wrong with trying to future-proof. But I don't want to spend too much effort defending a device which I also believe has not lived up to expectations. However, I believe there is a lot of possibility here and it just needs the right execution. Since I cannot predict the future, all I can say is: we'll see.

They are trying to make children used to this new form of gaming so it is easy to control. I have no idea what idiot belived that this psycological approach of "sooner or later they will accept it and then we control them" would work and be a good idea.

What makes you think they are trying to target children? This comment seems completely baseless. They are making a video game console and a large percentage of the video games audience are kids so theoretically speaking, no matter what they do, you can argue that they are trying to target children. As I said earlier, the measures being put into place by MS are designed to fight piracy so they lose less money and also to help publishers/developers survive. As a gamer, I don't see what's wrong with that.

all the above points are actually worthless as only the exclusives will determine console sales

Finally, couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry, but why is this a confusing decision exactly?

Maybe try reading what I wrote instead of just the first couple of paragraphs? Then come back and refute my arguments instead of posting some generic comment that we've all seen already.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@marcolorenzo

My first post was far more than sufficient, sometimes less is more, you know? Explaining everything in detail is like beating and beating a dead horse. "Stop, just stop, he's already dead".

But, sure, let's beat that sucker a little more. The Xbox One is the least consumer friendly product ever proposed in the gaming industry, so I don't exactly mind punching it a few more times:

1. There are lots of people out there in areas where broadband internet isn't easy to acquire. Perhaps they're in a small town in Alaska, or on a naval ship off the coast of Japan. You similarly SPIT IN THE FACE of all these users, by supporting Microsoft's DRM scheme, whether or not you personally are unaffected or not.

2. Game sharing with restrictions! Yaaaaay!
- Feature limited to a pool of 10 users in your Xbox One family.
- "Family member" must be on your list for 30 days prior.
- Only 1 person can access your shared library at a time.
- Feature not available at launch.
- Can be disabled by 3rd party publishers.

You know what's better than the above? Handing someone a game disk.

3. Microsoft's new used game scheme is anti-competitive and I question it's legality, frankly. Microsoft is working with partners, like Gamestop, to transfer the license in a used game sale, and charges a fee to do so. It's very sketch, and should drive used game sales up for consumers.

They even put restrictions on giving games away. A game's can only be given to someone who's been on your list for 30 days? And then it can't be transferred again?

These policies are very anti-consumer, and serve only to line Microsoft's pockets with money.

4. I don't want a Kinect... so, why force me to buy one with the system?

5. PSN Plus vs Xbox Live is a wash. Right now PS Plus membership has a big advantage on free content offered each month, but it can be argued the servers aren't as good. With money from people needing to buy in, they'll get better. Meanwhile, Microsoft has started giving away free content.
- The services are very comparable.

6. Nobody is saying the Xbox One "won" in games it showed at E3 vs the PS4. Game Trailers lists 35 PS4 Exclusives, and 20 Xbox One exclusives right now.

Microsoft is relying on going to developers, like Crytek and Capcom, and paying to let them publish games as Xbox One exclusives. While Sony OWNS a huge, list of development houses, like Guerilla Games, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, and SCE Japan Studio. PS4 has a staggering advantage.

Now consider that 3rd parties are only loyal to money. Nintendo had an exclusive with Rayman Legends, but when the Wii U didn't sell enough, they decided to port the game to PS3 and Xbox 360.

Sony currently has a big advantage in indie development as well....

Also... just because Microsoft has shown off more than Sony has in regards to TV entertainment, doesn't mean that Sony magically isn't the larger player in that area. Did you know that Sony owns, Sony Pictures? HAHAHAHA, ah-geez, that was a good one.

7. The Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4. Specifically, it's GPU has 50% less cores, and the PS4 still has a big memory bandwidth advantage, despite the Xbox One's embedded eSRAM. And more memory is available for games too...
I've done a whole couple page write-up on why the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Microsoft just got really unlucky with the whole DDR3 vs unified GDDR5 thing.

8. You really love Kinect games, I guess. I don't.

9. Sony isn't pushing new DRM, but publishers still have some control over their own games. Microsoft's DRM policies were so unfriendly to consumers, that even EA has gone on record to try to say they didn't lobby for the policies.

I think for now, motion gaming is a gimmick but given how advanced the Kinect 2 will be and after having had time to get to know and come up with new ideas with the original kinect, I think developers will be producing vastly different experiences in the coming years. Since these consoles will probably be around for almost another decade, I think there's nothing wrong with trying to future-proof. But I don't want to spend too much effort defending a device which I also believe has not lived up to expectations. However, I believe there is a lot of possibility here and it just needs the right execution. Since I cannot predict the future, all I can say is: we'll see.

Dude... How do you know "how advanced Kinect 2 will be"?

The amount of bias in your comments is clear.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
1. There are lots of people out there in areas where broadband internet isn't easy to acquire. Perhaps they're in a small town in Alaska, or on a naval ship off the coast of Japan. You similarly SPIT IN THE FACE of all these users, by supporting Microsoft's DRM scheme, whether or not you personally are unaffected or not.

Like I've said countless times already, these people can get a PS4. I'm not spitting in their face if I prefer a different system. If they are forced to buy a vastly inferior device with no other alternatives then perhaps I'd be spitting in their face but obviously the PS4 is not. You are the one who is spitting in the face of developers and publishers if you think that any other anti-piracy measures are enough.

2. Game sharing with restrictions! Yaaaaay!
- Feature limited to a pool of 10 users in your Xbox One family.
- "Family member" must be on your list for 30 days prior.
- Only 1 person can access your shared library at a time.
- Feature not available at launch.

Whilst this is true, I still think it's a pretty good feature. Read: http://slumz.boxden.com/f13/xbox-one-family-share-plan-clarification-1939418/

You know what's better than the above? Handing someone a game disk.

For me who has a lot of friends internationally, sharing a physical disc can be very difficult so it's great that the XBOne has a digital option. However, they do also allow sharing of physical discs but someone can only borrow it once. I see no problems with this because I've never felt like I needed to borrow a game more than once. Maybe some people would on the rare occasion.

It's very sketch, and should drive used game sales up for consumers.

I'm presuming that you mean prices. I've always believed that the used games market in a retailer is a joke. You get paid squat for your game and when they resell it, the price difference is often so negligible that I always ended up buying the new copy. The only truly viable way to buy and sell second hand games is via sites like eBay in my opinion. We don't know what will happen here yet. Once again, regarding used game sales, a lot of people are making assumptions. So far I have not read any concrete plans with an official price tag on the fees of used game sales. Until I do, I will reserve judgment.

6. Nobody is saying the Xbox One "won" in games it showed at E3 vs the PS4. Game Trailers lists 35 PS4 Exclusives, and 20 Xbox One exclusives right now.

Microsoft is relying on going to developers, like Crytek and Capcom, and paying to let them publish games as Xbox One exclusives. While Sony OWNS a huge, list of development houses, like Guerilla Games, Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, and SCE Japan Studio. PS4 has a staggering advantage.

Now consider that 3rd parties are only loyal to money. Nintendo had an exclusive with Rayman Legends, but when the Wii U didn't sell enough, they decided to port the game to PS3 and Xbox 360.

Actually every article I've read has said that Sony took the crown at E3 ALTHOUGH Microsoft had a stronger games showing. But whatever, there's no point arguing over this one. Microsoft do have internal studios such as 343 Industries, Lionhead, Black Tusk Studios, Turn 10 and Rare. Ultimately they may not have as many as Sony but let's not forget that Microsoft has also been able to hold on to exclusive third party franchises like Gears of War.
I'm not sure what you meant about the 35 PS4 exclusives since Sony has only announced 30 with 20 coming out in the first year. I personally don't trust this number since it seems Sony's whole marketing strategy is, "wait for Microsoft to announce something and then we'll top it". We will see won't we?

Also... just because Microsoft has shown off more than Sony has in regards to TV entertainment, doesn't mean that Sony magically isn't the larger player in that area. Did you know that Sony owns, Sony Pictures? HAHAHAHA, ah-geez, that was a good one.

Just because they have a robust catalogue of content doesn't mean they have a decent plan to bring it to the users. But whatever, I NEVER ACTUALLY SAID that MS's entertainment features are better than Sony's did I? I was addressing the people who complained about how MS is betraying their core demographic when in fact they didn't actually sacrifice anything.

8. You really love Kinect games, I guess. I don't.

How many times do I have to say it? I ALSO think that the current Kinect didn't live up to expectations. I just think there's a lot of possibilities.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Umm from demonstrations? From specs? From developer responses? I think that's enough to get a pretty good idea and make some informed predictions.

Since it seems people dont take the time to check links, ill say it myself:

Microsoft was running its games On high end PCs at E3, using Windows 7. It was not using XBox One hardware.

It even was a system with an nVidia GTX 700.

That speaks for itself if they are not even trusting their last OS.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Firstly, I thought we were talking about Kinect? And secondly, I did check your link and now I ask you to look at this: http://news.cheatcc.com/articles/391187#.UcAUPvnDDZ0

So.... basicly it was running on a PC?

Why would i trust microsoft on anything they say on Kinect (or developers for that matter) when its quite clear they cant be trusted? (im basing this on expirience not words. Expirience like EA saying Crysis 2 would have Dx11 at launch and it was actually DX9, as a simple example).

Of course game developers are going to say the consoles are good, they make games for them!
If they said the truth they would be destroying their company.

I was not at E3, so im not sure about it myself, but:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Games-E3-Were-Running-Windows-7-With-Nvidia-GTX-Cards-56737.html

3 PCs...

EDIT: Oh and btw, its not uncommon to do something like this, what is uncomon is to lie saying that i WAS in fact running on dev kits of xbox.
So if they lie about that, why not about everything else?

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Wow sorry you've become so cynical. But it was running on a PC because it hasn't been ported properly yet. Showing how it will look like eventually is not deception. It's like cooking shows, you just have to take their word for it that it will eventually look like the one "they prepared earlier". You seem like someone who has selective hearing (or reading for that matter). I didn't just use developers as a reference, I've also watched it in action as well as looked at the specs.

Yes, all running Lococycle. What are you confused about?

Oh, didnt know was 3 instances of Lococycle.

I dont think beeing Cynical is a bad thing, if anything ill be positivly surprised.
Perhaps you are right and it how it will look, but trusting a company on it? thats just not smart.
Also, note that it was running on nVidia. Why on earth would they program a game on a PC first with an nVidia GPU, if their consoles run on ATI GPUS?

Maybe to get the game for PCs as well, then it would make some sense.

However on your other points, its rather simple: Microsoft is basicly telling people that in order to use their console and their games (sorry but if i buy it i kinda take it its mine...) you need to accept more things.

Only a few people belive that its "not a bad thing", most belive it is "horrible", and i have yet to hear someone saying its "a great idea".

So obviously this is not good for the consumer, therefore, microsoft is clearly stating that "We dont care about what you want, we care about what we want", and you are defending them. Does that make sense?

If you are a rep. yes it does, if you are not, no it dosent. Its just deductive logic.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Yes you are right, these days I tend to also be a bit cynical in most things in life to avoid disappointment. I do remember at one of the E3s before Halo 2 came out when Bungie showed a cutscene "running in real time". I was stunned by how amazing it looked (i think even now, it might compare favourably against some of the worse looking current gen games). When it came out though, I remember it looking still quite good but it wasn't as extraordinary and there were a lot of slow texture loading unlike the trailer they showed. I had a similar reaction when Killzone 2 was first shown. The launch trailer looked far better than the final game and Sony eventually admitted that the trailer was not running in real time and was only made to look that way by using a first person perspective. But somehow I just think that this time if they have playable demos of these games then the experience shouldn't change so much. I guess we'll see.

As for them using GeForce cards on a game that hasn't been completely ported over yet, I don't know but I have a feeling it's got to do with the fact that they may not be properly optimised yet so for now they had to use considerably more powerful hardware to represent the final product. It's basically a given that no PC with the exact same hardware as a console would run the same games at the same level due to optimisation issues.

Well from that perspective, you are right. But I believe that these measures were also introduced to ensure not more publishers and developers fold up. I don't care how much money they make, but I would like them to make enough to still view the industry as viable investments and not close up shop. Since the launch of the last gen, countless companies are no longer around. Some of them will not be missed, but some others left a distinct hole in the landscape. This is also not good for gamers.

Gaming is nowdays a far bigger market and industry than it ever was.
in 2000-2005 a game took moreless 4 years to develop (the big titles) and it was still viable. Companies want to change that and invest millions on ads, while lowering production time to under 3 years in most cases.

If Microsoft dies out, id miss windows, not their games. Same goes for EA as nowdays i dont like their games.
Also note that if a big company dies out, smaller come forward, creating diversity and competition, both good for the consumer.

Basicly Microsoft is digging its own grave, its 50% inside it, and still didnt realize you need a ladder to get out of it once you are done.

Every market (gaming as well) has a fixed amount of consumers (these are the people interested in the product and capable of buying the product), so if a bigger companie vanishes, there is a hole in the market that is very easy to fill, and most companies will do so.

Also you talk about companies that have disolved like its a bad thing. The people who worked at them can still find a job somewhere else and give us good games.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Not every company is like Activision and EA and invests millions on ads. The market might be bigger now but I have also read countless interviews saying that development also costs a lot more. The amount of people who work in some development studios have tripled in the last 10 years and that's just one factor of the cost not including new development tools.

I wasn't talking about Microsoft when I defended their new measures. Anti-piracy and pro new game purchase methods benefit every company that releases their games on this platform. And it's often not the big companies that die out but rather these little ones.

What do you mean by it's fixed? The gaming market is undefined and keeps growing and attracting more audience members. I don't see what the amount of consumers there are has anything to do with a hole in the development landscape. When i said that there is a hole, I meant specifically that the types of games that these developers made are not longer being developed. Here is a good list of developers that's folded since 2006: http://kotaku.com/5876693/every-game-studio-thats-closed-down-since-2006

I don't want to go through them all but even though some of the people who worked in these studios have moved onto some other studios, a lot of the types of games that these studios made no longer exist. Also, it's not just developers shutting down. Some studios are hanging on but then they have to resort to firing a lot of employees.

Development costs are higehr if you choose to make them higher. This depends on the companies policies. Thats why we got those Indie games.

Anti-Piracy dosent help agains piracy at all, any half ass hacker can break into Anything and then sell it.

Fixed at any given time, its too long to explain (takes 3 years in university). Bottom line is when there are consumers and no products for them, someone will create products in order to make money.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

I've said this before and I'll say this again, has anyone managed to crack SimCity yet?

You are talking about this from a purely economic point of view, neglecting the fact that games are also art forms. Sure someone will most likely take their place, but it doesn't mean it will be any good, especially if they're purely driven by profit which is what will happen if they're simply filling a hole.

Has anyone been able to play sim-city at all? thats a far better question. On the side line, yes simcity has been already cracked.

You are talking like the games that we got last years were actually good, when in fact they stinked.
The good ones came from small studios, and those are not having any problems whatsoever.

There were a few exceptions, but most games made by EA/Blizzard are bad, in fact i didnt even bother with them, so if those companies are gone, personally, i wont care.

Anyway i dont feel like draggin this any longer.