Advice on intake/exhaust fans

seryou92

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
My case - NZXT Source 210 White

At the moment I'm using two of the slots for my gentle typhoons. I have one intake fan on the side, one exhaust on top, and one exhaust on the rear and my psu at the bottom. My cpu is liquid cooled which unfortunately gets in the way of the third slot up on top. So I can't really access it easily to install a third fan. My question is should I leave the setup as is (exhaust fan on top and intake on side) or go with intake on top and side?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

You could. I am rethinking what I have done myself. As it is, I have a 200mm in front for intake, two 120mm in the top for exhaust and a 120mm at the rear for exaust. The side is open with no fan.

this is technically the 'correct' pattern.

top and rear= exhaust.

Front and bottom= intake

side can be intake but most people leave the slot open because a fan there doesn't do much besides mess up air flow.

My thought was havng a negative airflow ( more exhaust than intake ) as opposed to having a positive airflow ( more intake than exhaust ). It seems as if I saw somewhere that having a positive airflow was better for cooling than a negative airflow. [shrug] My temps are good, so haven't messed with it anyway. I have my CPU fan in a "Pull" configuration to keep it off the DIMM slot. It is blowing straight at the rear exhaust fan.

seryou92

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Ordering 3x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006#top. Read some reviews that the cougar pushes more air than the 1850rpm typhoons so I figured I'll just grab 3 of them and replace the typhoon on the bottom with one. Going to try out the 2x front + 1x bottom intake and 1x top + 1x rear exhaust with the side slot fanless.

That should be a good configuration. I usually just check the CFM ratings on the fans and get the best one. :)