CompTIA A+ Testing Materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan93

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
What would be the best overall testing materials I could get for the CompTIA A+ exam for around $50? Personal opinions of what I should get based on experience would be appreciated. Also, looking at the Net+ and what its testing materials would cost. Thanks!

Hashwagon

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm currently pursuing it as well, check this link out if you haven't heard of it already: http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus/

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
CompTIA does what they say, and they say what they do.

(1) According to CompTIA's web site, experience fixing people's PCs, preferably in a work environment goes a long way. Just fixing Your own PC would not be enough, because that would not expose You to most of the possible configurations and problems that are out there.

(2) According to CompTIA's web site, their A+ exam is "vendor neutral" in that it covers Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, VM Ware, Android 4.X, and iOS.

CompTIA says they do not include Windows 8, Server 2008, Server 2010, Linux, or MacOS (among others) on the 220-80X series of exams.

I have head a story of them asking what a BIOS beep code meant, and marking one of my students wrong because he put down what his motherboard's manual said about that beep code. They were going off another brand of motherboard. Again, their definition of "vendor neutral" can be problematic, but it should not cost You many points.

(3) I worked through Professor Messer's course on YouTube:

220-801: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sJjIQzdbE&list=PLG49S3nxzAnnmMVTdd4v4ryJ7_qoQCrF4

220-802: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3s172qm2E&list=PLS-8-JctKRkEvoFXm7vje2fNszgt1HkK6

The ads are unbelievably annoying.

This is the same course Hashwagon recommended.

(4) CompTIA publishes a list of what topics their exam covers. You have to click around on their web site, as though You are going to sign up to take the exams now to find the PDF. Give them Your personal info, and download the list. Look at every topic, and imagine a time when You used it. If You can not recall using that thing, search YouTube for videos on how to use it, and use it. Here's an example: Just knowing a command line command exists is not enough. You need to have used it, with many command line options. Be aware that command line options vary from one version of Windows to another. So, use it on several versions of Windows.

(5) There are a couple of books that CompTIA recommends. Look of the "CompTIA Authorized Partner" logo on the cover. Most of these books are interchangeable. They teach You, then they quiz You. Do not expect to make a 100% on the quizzes, but a grade between 80% and 90% might lead to a passing exam score.

(6) When You think You are ready, CompTIA offers practice tests in the same place on their web site where the objectives are. I recommend You save these until the end. Use them to make sure You are ready. 90% is ready. 80% might be ready. 70% is not ready.

(7) CompTIA is wrong on some things. They deny the fact that my tablet has an upgradable processor, RAM, hard disk, battery, etc.

They ignore the world's second most popular mobile OS (Android 2.X.)

I have heard their simulations are something You have to get used to. You will think they are broken when You first try one. Several of my students have failed their first try from not understanding how the simulation worked, and sitting there for 30 minutes thinking it was broken. My students have told me that if You are open minded, and play with one for 5 minutes, You will get the hang of it.

Again, these silly things should not cost a prepared, intelligent person many points.

(8) Nobody pays full price for CompTIA exams. I've seen 10% and 15% discounts, then the retest (should You need one) will be hugely discounted compared to the original test. Details are in the "authorized" books.

(9) Read the policies on CompTIA's web site carefully. Ditto for the policies of the company administering the test. Be professional and prepared to follow their (silly?) policies to the letter. Think about wearing a suit and visiting someone in jail as a good model.

Status
Not open for further replies.