Coolermaster K280 Air Flow

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
So,i have a Coolermaster K280 Mid Tower case(http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/k280.html).
Since it's summer,i am having some temperature problems and i would like to fix the case's airflow.It supports 3 120mm fans:1 front,1 rear and 1 side.At the moment there is an intake front fan(stock) and an exhaust rear one.Should i put an intake fan at the side?

First, in my opinion and others, a side fan would just mess up the air flow you have. I would get some canned air and using short bursts, blow out the the inside paying close attention to the heat sink over the COU as well as the one over the GPU ( It is easier to remove the Video Card to do this ). Also, I don't know how old the rig is, but it may be time to Remove the heatsink over the CPU and clean off all of the Thermal Compound and reapply some fresh TMC. I know some who do this annually. Also one other thing, the ambient temp where the computer is at can have an effect.

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
The computer is only a couple of weeks old so dust is not the problem.The last 2 days are way hotter than before and my room is very hot too.So,these 2 fans are enough?

Install an app called HW Monitor. That will monitor and you can open it to check your temps. The case is similar to my Cooler Master 912 HAF, except I can run more fans. If your room is hot, then that will have and effect on the temps. I have known people to take off the side cover and get a small fan to blow in there. AS long as your CPU isn't going above 80c then you should be fine. Here's a link for that app: http://hwmonitor.en.softonic.com/

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
That's what i use already to check temps.My CPU temp is below the limit but there is a difference of 5-6 degrees the last couple of days.So,it's either the hot room or my cpu cooler(though it's also a week old).

Probably the room temp. I am in a pretty hot corner, although I central air. There is a big window that the sun comes through and heats things up. The temp rise sounds like it is related to the ambient temp. I had one desktop with a Pentium D and that thing was a space heater. at Idle it was around 50c and would get to about 75c to 80c under load.

George_oc

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Have you done any cable management in the case? Because in some instances, poor cable management can create airflow problems. However as coastie said, when the ambient temp is rising it's perfectly normal for the inside-case temps to rise as well. It's just the way it is :D

Since you mentioned that the temperature increasement is 5-6 degrees, I'm pretty sure it's related to ambient temperature increasements.

You can try and use a side fan, but I think that the already installed two fans are enough :)

d4zzle

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
It's probably the room temperature,after turning the air condition on for 1 hour or so,i noticed a big difference.52 degrees during gaming with a/c on and 58-59 off.So yeah,ambient temp is the reason as it seems,can't do much about it.
About the fans,i don't know if the stock front intake fan of CM K280 is good enough.I have a Thermalright X-Silent rear exhaust,and i think it's good.Maybe i wil get another one and use the CM one as a side fan.

George_oc

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Ambient temperature will always cause such minor issues, especially on summer season, so yeah do not worry about that.

I don't know the specs of the CM K820 fans, so I can't compare them to the 1000RPM/35CFM X-Silent 120 ones and judge what's best for you. But yeah you can transfer the front fan on the side panel and buy whichever you want for the front.