AMD 7970, low memory usage in BF3?

Peddeh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Today when I booted up BF3 for the first time, and about 5minutes in, I get a DX error, stating something along the lines of "OUT OF MEMORY". I didn't quite catch it, but I wish I had screencapped it.

I went back into the game, hoping it was just a fluke and that it wouldn't happen again. It didn't happen again, however, I was running Afterburner overlay this time and noticed something odd, the game was using a really low memory usage! 500-600MB, most I seen was 710MB in a 64 server, as a result, I can certainly tell my frames have dropped significantly as a result. I just can't seem to get that error again though. I've ran Afterburner in the past, and I'm certain I've seen it use well over a 1GB before.

My GPU has 3GB VRAM, so there should be more than enough for it, I only play at 1920x1080. I haven't changed anything on my system since, apart from lowering my CPU voltage, which hasn't shown any problems during stress testing or any other use.

What is the problem? :(

EDIT: the error looked something like this http://williamwendland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/desktop_2012_11_12_22_07_28_437.jpg (of course, my GPU is an AMD 7970)

sourodip

Distinguished
well looks like ur Video memory was being eaten up by something.was there some stressful application running when u were playing the game?updated ur drivers and directx version?

Peddeh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Everything updated, even re-installed everything I could to no avail. Someone over at another forum suggested I inspect my card for VRAM damage, but I didn't find anything. I also tried jumping into Crysis 3, and monitored the memory usage, and everything looks fine. It's eating up my ram fine. 1.5GB+, but then back into BF3, it's still very low.

Nothing out of the ordinary running in the background (Steam, Origin etc) that would eat at the memory. I'm pretty stumped on this!

stmaki16

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2012
I dont know if this a possiblilty but check BF3 if there is a way to change the memory pool in game. If it is set to low that is most likely your answer and the best thing to do would be to set it to the highest. Again i could be wrong but it doesnt hurt trying! Good luck!

-Scott

Peddeh

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Alright, I've formatted and have a fresh BF3 install. First time boot into the game, memory usage was fine, no problems! Exit game, go into another game, and again memory usage is very low again, 500-600MB, come out game, delete the files in Documents > Battlefield 3 > settings, boot up game and working fine again until I exit and boot up again. It's this over and over again.

What the hell is going on here and how do I fix it?